“if you dont have to use this hotel dont”
Review of Bay Torbay Hotel

Bay Torbay Hotel
Ranked #33 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“if you dont have to use this hotel dont”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

what can i say we stayed for 7 days our room wasnt cleaned the quilt cover on our bed was dirty for 5 days the food was poor especially the evening meal our room and the downstaires rooms all needed renovating there was paper coming off the walls. one evening while having our evening meal the couple on the next table asked if we could shut the curtains as the sun was in their eye as we pulled the curtain over we were covered in dust god noes when they were last cleaned.
the only good thing was the staff we will never return to this hotel again

Room Tip: i would not choose any room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank maggie h
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
I am sorry if your recent holday was marred by the issues that you have raised. It is most uncommon of these types of complaints to occur, as you can see by the many satisfied customer reviews posted. I will certainly look at the issues mentioned and will attend to any that require attention. Hopefully you will return once again and can have an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your positive praise for our staff.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Hotel looks ok from outside, but it is very dull and dingy inside. The public areas would benefit from a deep clean and also redecoration. The public toilets are disgraceful, they were always dirty and quite often had no toilet roll.
The dining room was staffed by foreign staff whose basic lack of understanding of English meant that you never knew whether you were going to get what you'd ordered!
The walls in the dining room were covered in various drips of food and drinks, not very pleasant at all and from what I could see the carpet was never vacumned as the same piece of bread that was under our table on the day we arrived was still there on the morning of departure, it was like seeing an old friend every day!
It was almost impossible to get a drink from the bar as the waiting staff couldn't take your order and there was never a wine waiter apart from on our last evening, who asked if we wanted anything from the bar whilst we were eating dessert! I resorted to going to the bar myself and carrying the drinks into the dining room.
Service was so fast you really couldn't relax, as soon as you put your cutlery down, the waiter was there asking you what you wanted to eat for the next course. I think there must have been some sort of competition to see who get get all their tables out fastest!!
The food was so obviously the cheapest possible, it was of a very low standard and mostly completely tasteless, after 4 days we ate out in local restaurants. I don't like being called "Darling" I find it derogatory and all the staff in the dining room used this term.
I also particularly dislike sitting eating my meal whilst tables are being sprayed with cleaning fluid and set for breakfast around me, I dread to think what was in the cleaning fluid floating round the room, surely this is a Health and Safety issue? The tables are so close to each other that it was difficult sitting at the table on some occasions without asking our neighbours to move their chairs!
The swimming pool was down a very dark and dirty corridor and really not worth the journey!
The bedroom was clean and adequate.
On the plus side, the hotel is in a nice position opposite the marina and the staff on reception were helpful.
Would I make a return visit, never!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank vacationgirl58
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
I am sorry that you did not enjoy anything on your recent stay with us. I am very surprised about some of your comments, as our staff, especially our restaurant staff ,get very positive praise from many guests and despite many of them being non uk nationals they are extremely good at their job and their English is not usually called into question. Food is often complimented on but I am sorry if it was not to your liking.
I will look into a number of the issues that you have raised with our Restaurant manager, and rest assured any that are found will be rectified straight away. There are often two to three wine waiters each evening, so I am surprised that you could not find one! I am glad that the Reception staff were to your satisfaction and the location of the hotel a plus too. i am sorry that you will not be returning with us as I am sure that we could give you the holiday that so many of our other guests find so enjoyable.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Very enjoyable weekend, rooms good, food very good,staff very helpful, attentive at mealtimes (even with extra sausage at breakfast...... luverly) been before will go again....being very picky could do with cabaret on a Sunday and very restricted with small lift but this was explained to us satisfactory........Very happy

Room Tip: rooms at back quiet (very warm above swimming pool area)
1 Thank johnniesXI
SimonWMurray, Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Hi johniesXI, thanks for your review of your weekend stay with us, it's great that you have been before and that you will be coming to the Torbay again. I am glad that we provide you with everything that you need for your stay, apart from the Sunday night cabaret, it does give you the chance to epxlore or have a relaxing quiet evening though. I look forward to seeing you when you visit again.
Lancashire
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We went to the above hotel for 4 days in August 2012.
Quite good Hotel. Only problem is the lack of time to eat your meal. Seems to me that the staff are paid for a very restricted time. Evening meal for instance served between 18.30hrs & 20.00hrs. We went in one night at 19.50hrs waiter told us to come earlier in future. I pointed out the card in our room said 18.30hrs till 20.00 hrs & we were within that time,I tried to order a bottle of wine only to be told that the wine water finished at 19.30hrs. I spotted the wine waiter about 5 minutes later & did get my wine. I went to reception & reported the inciden but despite beingt told my waiter was wrong nothing changed.

Room Tip: Have an upgrade plus sea view
4 Thank PeterLANCASHIRE
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thnk you for your review and I am glad that you had a nice stay. i am sorry if you felt rushed at dinner and were unable to get wine, this is unusual and I will look into it to ensure this breakdown in service does not recur. We value the fact that you should have a relaxed dining experience and usually find that the hour and a half is sufficient time for the restaurant to be open.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We had a lovely holiday, staying at the Bay Torbay Hotel. All the staff were polite. Reception staff were well informed of local timetables for buses etc. Meals in the restaurant were superb, Balazs (the waiter) was extremely helpful, I'd go as far as stating he was "exceptional". He certainly went the extra mile.

Carole & Ced Harvey

Room Tip: Why not ask for a sea view. Its well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank theharveys187067
Many thanks to you for letting us know of your enjoyable stay with us. I am so pleased that you found so much to your liking and I will be sure to pass on to Balazs your comments regarding the service you received from him.
UK
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We paid to upgrade to a premier front facing room - the negative is that the road is very noisy and there is no double glazing. Torquay is buzzing in August so there were rowdy crowds in the gardens and bus stop opposite into the early hours.
We did not sleep the first night due to the dreadful collapsed mattress! I could not believe that the housekeeper had made the bed ready for us without noticing the big hole in the mattress.
But from then on the holiday was excellent. I complained immediately to the hotel manager about the mattress, by the time we had finished breakfast a brand new mattress had been delivered!
Earplugs purchased from the local "Boots" resolved the road noise problem.
The food and service in the dining room was excellent. Staff on the reception were really friendly.
Room was very comfortable. Shower, excellent, hot water plentiful. New mattress was great. Good TV & facilities in the room. Lovely view of the gardens opposite.
Overall we all had a great time... thank you!

Room Tip: Premier Rooms at the front nice but noisy.
1 Thank Soller125
Thank you Soller125 for your review and I am glad that you an excellent holiday and that you enjoyed your premier room - they are great rooms. I am sorry that you found a problem with the mattress, but I am pleased hat it was resolved so promptly to your satisfaction and that once more the food and service were found to be excellent too. Thank you again and we hope you will return once more to Torquay and the Torbay hotel.
Beds
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Arrived at hotel a little wary after reading reviews. Reception staff efficient but not particularly friendly. Single lift carrying 5 people inadequate for such a large hotel. Room very clean although the toilet did not flush properly and we had to keep the window closed at night due to traffic noise. Our room was a long walk so thankfully we are fit. Hotel too warm. The indoor swimming pool is very disappointing being dark and the corridor from the changing rooms needs urgent repair being dirty with cobwebs and broken door fittings.
Food was better than expected but the portion sizes are not great especially the vegetables. Becomes rather boring and predictable after a few days so decided on a meal out. The cafe and reception area is huge and clean. No complaints re the entertainment.
Never realised the hotel is so near the town centre - do they airbrush out the amusement arcades next door from their promotional photos? Excellent view from front-facing bedroom overlooking the harbour although have to pay extra for same. Surprised tea and coffee is not served with dinner but instead have to queue in foyer. Would visit again if only for convenient location.

Room Tip: Be aware of traffic noise
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BigglesBeds
Thank you for posting a review on your recent stay with us and I am glad that you enjoyed it. We are in a prime location and there are not any other hotels that close to all the local amenities. i am glad that the hotel was better than you initially expected and we hope to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Tor Park Hotel
#12 of 87 in Torquay
Grosvenor Hotel Torquay
Grosvenor Hotel Torquay
#21 of 87 in Torquay

Been to Bay Torbay Hotel? Share your experiences!