“A Great Disappointment”
Review of Bay Torbay Hotel

Bay Torbay Hotel
Ranked #34 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 6 May 2013

After not being able to book our usual Torquay stay due to the Bank Holiday weekend my daughter and I opted (reluctantly) for the Torbay. I say reluctantly as we paid far more than usual so expected something very special. Special it was not! We have no complaints about our room - it was large and clean, and the beds were very comfy, but when is the dining room going to have a makeover??? We were seated for breakfast (after what seemed like an eternity) according to how long we were staying - why?? Breakfast was lovely - no complaint there but oh my life - the curtains by our table were falling apart and were filthy and there were cobwebs above us and food splattered on the walls. There were also ceiling tiles missing. I'm also a little concerned that the door where our table was situated is a fire escape!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cattimmins
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and many thanks for the positive comments regarding your room and the food that you had while stayng with us. i am sorry if you felt that the Restaurant was unable to meet with your approval and I will certainly look into the issues that you have raised. Hopefully you will try us once agai in the future.

There are newer reviews for Bay Torbay Hotel

Reviewed 2 May 2013

My partner and I were transferred to this hotel after refusing a shoebox of a room at their Esplanade Hotel in Paignton where you couldnt swing a mouse, let alone a cat! With trepidation we went to our room allocated at the Torbay and were very pleased with how large it was. It was only a few minutes later we realised it was a room designed for a wheelchair which was no problem for us - it meant a large bathroom and adjustable beds. In fact the bathroom was larger than the room we had been offered at the Torbay. We had a lovely view over the harbour and sea, and lovely gardens with a Victorian fountain. At night the harbour was lit up with fairy lights and it was lovely. So, far so good but it seemed as we had been transferred, the restaurant staff had hurriedly prepared for us and we were allocated a table away from the main crowd (restaurant was only two-thirds full) andfor a couple of days it was pot luck who came to serve us or clear our plates. As we were here for a seven day stay we complained about this and and asked to be moved when we were begrudgingly given a table looking out over the harbour. We then acquired a lovely waitress of our own who we had for the duration. The food was ok but very small portions and as our 7 days covered a weekend break and a fiveday break, the menu was repeated - at least we knew how everything was going to taste! My partner enjoyed the full English but I was disappointed with the breakfast rolls which were cold and served straight from the fridge and the toast was so thin it was like crackers. Everything including cereal, fruit etc. was served to the table, there was no buffet. The public areas of the hotel again need updating and parts of the lounge and the cafe are open to the public. Was nice to see a proper venue for visiting cabaret and we enjoyed the acts especially the comedian on our last night. Was a bit boring early evenings for those who didnt play bingo, would have been nice to have a few quizzes etc. Usual problem with the small lift but this is always to be expected in these old hotels.
We were pleased to be transferred to this hotel as Torquay is much more picturesque than Paignton and a great place for hookups by bus and boat. One drawback, there is no parking at the hotel, if you paid extra for hotel parking it will be on a designated floor in the town car park so you have to quickly unload the luggage and then drive up through the town and walk back! We felt a bit unsure leaving the car overnight there but you needed a card to enter and there appeared to be CCTV. Finally, we would like to thank the manager, Matt I think, who was so very helpful with the transfer and made us very welcome and was forgiving when we inadvertently set of the alarm in our room! If you are staying any length of time in Torquay we would recommend the Jubilee Pass for 3,4,5 or 7 days where you pay a very reasonable one-off price for using buses, trains and boats to several destinations. Our train, boat & bus trip on the first day more than paid for the whole ticket. Dartmouth features a lot in these trips and we would like to recommend the Station Restaurant on the quay by the ferry - a lovely setting, friendly staff and delicious food.Also, if you have time, take a trip on the Kingswear paddle steamer - not to be missed!

Room Tip: Room 205 very spacious as it is for wheelchair access or any numbers in the 200s when you book a se...
2  Thank truckersgirl
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased that you found most of what we had to offer to be to your liking, including the room you had, the location and the waitress who looked after you. i will also pass on your praise to Matt for handling your transfer so efficiently. I am sorry that you did not find some of the food items on offer to meet your approval, but we usually get some wonderful comments for thisarea of our hotel. I was surprised that you thought the public areas needed updating as the cafe bar and reception lounge have recently been refurbished, especially the Reception area which has just been redecorated and new lounge furniture less than two weeks old installed.Thank you for posting some useful tips for future travellers regarding busses and ferries, as I am sure that future guests will find them handy.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Went for weekend break with my elderly parents,got no complaints with this holiday,room with sea view at no extra cost, very good choice of meals,all were realy nice,staff were very friendly,especially Alan,who was on reception on sunday morning,he is a very helpfull and caring person,a credit to the hotel.Apart from my dad being poorly it was a very nice break,and with the help from Alan,my dad made a quick recovery,so thank you again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank carol w
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Hi caz W, thank you for posting a review and I am glad that you had an enjoyable weekend with us here at the Torbay. I shall pass on your comments to Alan who will be happy to get a mention and I am glad that he was able to help you out when your father was poorly. I am also pleased that your dad has recovered and hopefully you will all be back again with us soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

Went on shearing break over Easter to this hotel -
the reception staff were quick + efficient considering how many people were booking in at the same time -

We were allocated a room with a harbour/sea view which we did nt have to pay extra for on the third floor, the only draw back being there is only one small lift for a large hotel that has the majority of its patrons over a certain age - say we say - - I think this did cause a few people a little inconvenience although to be fair, our luggage was delivered to our room within a matter of minutes, the room we were allocated was clean, bright and looked refurbished - if fact the only problem I had with the hotel was the shower cubicle - although I am not the largest person - and to be fair not the smallest either, trying to have shower without keep hitting the sides of shower cubicle with my arms was a challenge

The location of this hotel could not be faulted - the food in the restaurant has a good choice for both breakfast and dinner,the waitress had a very good knowledge of English,

The entertainment on both nights was a male singer (not the same one), both were good in their own way, trying to involve and playing to the audience, on both nights there was a game of bingo before the singers
On Sunday there was a quiz followed by charity horse racing, which the particular weekend we were there seemed to be enjoyed by most.

Would I go again, Yes I probably would - but for a little longer as there were quite a lot of attractions in and around the Torquay area and the hotel would make a ideal base

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kateshill
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2013

Thank you kateshill for your review and I am glad that you had a good, if short stay with us. It is always nice to read such positive comments for the staff, food and the room, despite the shower cubicle causing you some concerns. I am glad that you enjoyed the entertainment also, particularly the horse racing night (did you win?) and I agree wholeheartedly that we are in the greatest location in the Town.
I am glad that you would come again to stay with us and we look forward to your speedy return.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

we stayed at this hotel on a package deal from 12th to 15th April. We upgraded to a sea view fron room. really nice room, bed very comfortable. food really good value, lovely menu good cooking well presented. friendly staff. clean room. Entertainment was good on friday's and Satuday,s although Sunday nights a bit of a wet squid. (horse racing) It rained the whole time we were there, so the temperature in the room did drop but the staff were very helpful and provided us with heaters. Only gripe not enough light to put make up on so take your own higher wattage bulb for dressing table lamp. Hotel a little bit tired looking needs a coat of paint. But would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms on the the front are lighter so an upgrade is recommended from just a standard room
1  Thank victor g

Hi victor g and thanks for your review of your recent stay at the Torbay .I am pleased that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, particularyly the food and the staff who try hard to please. Sorry you did not enjoy the horse racing, as it usually provides a lot of enjoyment and fun - mind you it helps if you win!!

Reviewed 13 April 2013

Stayed at this hotel from monday to friday. First thing needed to do was change the bedroom!The reception was happy to do this for us,at an extra cost, which we paid and had a nice room at the front of the hotel.The room and bathroom was always kept clean and tidy.The bed I slept in,was so comfortable..I slept so well.The dining room,well there was two of us, and we were shown to a table of four, there was a lovely couple already sat there,but with four of us it was so tight,so I asked the dining room manager if we could move to a different table. (there were plenty of empty tables) eventually we did.But..because of this, most of the time the waitress who was supposed to serve us, forgot we were there!! We found most of the staff friendly and helpful.The hotel itself is in a great position,easy walking for beach, shops etc. We would like to return to the hotel,but not its dining room!!.

Room Tip: If possible check the rooms out via the hotels web, before booking.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank rita p
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

Hi ritap and thank you for posting a review of your holiday with us.I am glad that you found the staff to be so friendly and helpful and that the reception staff were attentive towards you when you wanted to move rooms. i am pleased that you slept so well too. I am sorry that when you were moved in the restaurant, that the waitress missed you, I will make sure that they don't forget about you when you hopefully return. I am pleased that you had a good time with us despite the hiccup.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Good value for money paid, next to harbour, close to town centre and theatre.
Rooms vary in size some with sea/harbour view (at extra cost) room 431 large window with side view (triple room) very spacious.
Entertainment very good,60's weekend.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size some with sea/harbour view (at extra cost) room 431 large window with side view...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Hi lindy5 and thanks for staying with us at the Torbay. I think we offer great value for money breaks, so I am glad that you had such a good time with us. The 60's weekend is a good one and maybe you will try one of our other weekend breaks, keep a look out for some you might enjoy, as we would be pleased to see you back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Tor Park Hotel
#22 of 87 in Torquay
Bay Esplanade Hotel
Bay Esplanade Hotel
#9 of 17 in Paignton

Been to Bay Torbay Hotel? Share your experiences!