“Enjoyable but noisy”
Review of Bay Torbay Hotel

Bay Torbay Hotel
Ranked #36 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The hotel is well placed. Some rooms are modernised, some are not - so pot luck. Side view is acceptable without paying for front facing view through trees to the harbour. All rooms get alot of noise overnight from the main road - traffic plus young ones gathering and shouting etc, seagulls and badly creaking floorboards. Wondered why the night staff did not call the police to the unacceptable noise which went on for hours outide the hotel! One lift makes it tricky - 90 steps to 4th floor! The food is very acceptable. The waiting on staff are excellent! However the dining room is very cramped indeed. We did not get the table for two we requested, and no effort was made to correct this. Entertainment is OK. Public rooms are pleasant, food and drink from the Cafe Bar is fairly priced. Overall - OK but noisy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pixiep92
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you Pixiep92 for posting review of your recent stay with us at the Torbay. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and am sorry if the noise was a bit much, we are on the seafront and during the recent lovely weather it has brought everybody out to play! Thank you for your kind words about the food and the service form the restaurant staff. We do try to accommodate all requests, especially for tables for two, but sometines when very full it makes it difficult but this should have been explained to you and I will look into your comments regarding this.I hope that you do return to us with another visit sometime in the future.

There are newer reviews for Bay Torbay Hotel

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Great Hotel, Great Staff, Great Chef and Waiters, Great food and good entertainment.
The standard rooms are what they are called but an upgrade can make a difference.

Overall another good stay but will go back there again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank adgemus

Thank you adgemus for your short but to the point review of your second stay with us and I am pleased that it won't be your last. Its nice to see the word 'great' when talking about many aspects of your stay, so thanks and see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We have just spent a very hot week at the Torbay Hotel. Our room was on the 4th floor served by the one and only small lift which was not adequate enough for the size of the hotel (the only other way up was to climb 93 stairs). We had a room that looked out to the back of the hotel and our view consisted of walls and rooftops. The room itself was small and basic, with walls thin so that everything could be heard in the room next door (even stirring a cup of tea), and decor-wise it needed bringing into the 21st century. The corridor to our room was stuffy and airless because no windows were ever open to circulate air even though temperatures reached 29 degrees. There were other rundown areas noticed in the hotel as well. Although the meals were excellent with plenty of choice, the dining room was too cramped and claustraphobic with tables on top of one another so you were unable to leave after finishing a meal until the person alongside or behind you had finished also. Sometimes the service in the dining room was slow. The staff in the hotel were all very pleasant and helpful though. The main shopping area was close by with plentiful shops to suit all tastes. The big wheel opposite the hotel gave glorious views around the area and the garden area next to it was beautiful and immaculately kept. There was an open-topped bus that took us on a tour of the bay area and a small fun train that took us around the Torquay area - both worth going on. This holiday was a disappointment for us with regards to the hotel but Torquay itself was lovely.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back gave no view. Rooms at the front gave the view but there was also traffic noise a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Carole A
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thankl you Carole A for posting a review of your stay with us and you certainly picked a good week weatherwise to come on holiday. I am glad that you thought our location was good. I am pleased that you enjoyed the food too,but sorry that you thought the restaurant cramped. The staff try to be as quick as they can and usually they get great compliments for their service from other reviews posted here, maybe the heat got to them during your stay. We are refurbishing our bedrooms regularly with more planned for the winter, so if you return I am sure that you would be satisfied. It was and still is very hot everywhere so it can be uncomfortable sometimes especially in a large building, but I am sure we would all rather a hot summer than another wet one.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

arrived sat 6th july 2013,two night stay,the hotel is in a great location,upon checking in we found the staff very nice and helpfull,reception very clean and tidy,stayed in room 402 4th floor,a fabulous room with a great view over the marina even tho a big wheel does obscure part of the view,upon entering the dinning room first night we were greeted and shown to our table and told we would use the same table for the rest of our stay,which is fine,BUT then told another couple would be joining us which is NOT so fine it made my wife and myself feel awkward,I Dont expect to sit down to a meal with my wife and have total strangers sit at the table half way through a meal,it may suit some but not us,WE rushed our food down and never ate in the hotel again. we ate out instead even tho we paid half board,.I understand There is a limited amount of time and space But its not how we like to do things.

Room Tip: rooms 4th floor at front got the best view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steve G
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thank you Steve G for your review of your short stay with us. We certainly are in a great location and I am glad that you found the room and the staff ton your liking. I am sorry that your dining experience was not to you liking, we were very busy, but if you had asked to be sat on your own for your meals, I am sure we would have done our very best to accommodated you.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Stayed here on a Monday to Friday coach trip package with Shearings you couldn't really ask for a better location however it comes at a price there is quite a bit of traffic noise as its on a main road also a lot of noise from the dreaded seagulls with an accompaniment of crow every so often. Its another one of those old Victorian Buildings so maintenance and decoration are always going to be an issue but a lot has been done to bring it up to date they have a very nice modern cafe serving snacks and drinks during the day and this is where you will get your best WiFi reception if your taking your laptop along. My room on the fourth floor had been recently decorated so no problem there, it even had a pink bathroom suite. I haven't seen a pink bathroom suite since I used to stayed with my granny when I was a nipper in the 60's and Harold Wilson was Prime Minister but it still serves its purpose and adds to the character of the place. The food was a good varied choice each evening and breakfast was the usual goodies and you can have Kippers if your feeling fishy . I'm not going to write silly comments about toast being too thin or floorboards creaking if your looking for a value break in a good flat location and you don't mind a bit of noise then this is the place for you but remember its not an ultra modern Hotel offering a Health club and WiFi in every room.

Room Tip: Ask for a low floor then you don't have to wait for the vintage lift
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Heathcote L
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Thankyou Heathcote L for your review of your recent holiday with us at the Torbay. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you agree that we do provide good value for money holidays. I am pleased that you enjoyed the food - especially the Kippers.We are refurbishing all the time and we will eventually be 'pink bathroom less' - btu it takes time. I am glad that you took advantage of the Bay cafe offerings and the free wifi also. I hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Arrived on the 28th June, the rooms, restaurant and swimming pool entrance needs redecorating. Only one lift so be prepared to walk up the stairs. The food was awful, we complained after are meal on the Saturday night, guests around us were also complaining. Sunday night although we paid we ate out, could not face another meal there. The long walkway to the swimming pool was in desperate need of repair especially the door which was nearly falling apart, how much does it cost for a new door? It also stank of damp which put us off swimming. It's in a great location, it's a shame the food and décor has let this place down. Also be prepared, the seagulls and crows keep you awake!

Room Tip: We were in the back of the hotel and was woken often by the seagulls, we did hear from other guests...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Lesley C

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay at the Torbay hotel. We endeavour to provide a wonderful holiday experience and its disappointing that we awere unable to provide that to you on this occassion. I am surprised at your comments regarding the food as it is something we mostly recieve praise about as other reviews point out. I will look into the negative comments that you have made and attend to them if necesary.. I would add that we do have a regular programme of refurbishment here, which is evident by our public areas and recent bedroom refurbishment, something noted by many reviews on her. I do hope that you will pay us another visit as I am sure that you would have a more positive experience.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed in room 214, with 4yr old.
On hotel front, with sea view HOWEVER road noise horrendous, a hotel of this calibre should really have secondary glazing
No other children in hotel
Bedroom huge and all we needed in room.
Food great but no kids menu
Michelle waitress great fun and sooo helpful
Loved it loved it loved it !!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Hi Cornishdoc and thanks for posting a review on your stay at the Torbay. I am glad that you and your family had such a fabulous stay with us and we would love to see you back with us again. I shall let Michelle know that you found her helpful and as she is new to us I am pleased that she looked after you so well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Tor Park Hotel
#22 of 87 in Torquay
Bay Esplanade Hotel
Bay Esplanade Hotel
#9 of 17 in Paignton

Been to Bay Torbay Hotel? Share your experiences!