“Great Short Break”
Review of Bay Torbay Hotel

Bay Torbay Hotel
Ranked #33 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Just had 2 night stay.Very impressed with Service & Location of Hotel. Had a front facing twin room as we booked at short notice.Restaurant staff were really good & fast, as soon as we sat down we were attended to.One area for improvement is that hotel is a little dated & well worn therefore in need of a good refurbishment but this in no way affected our stay.Will definately be stopping here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Hi Dave T, Thanks for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your short break with us at the Torbay. I am glad that you were well looked after by the staff in the Restaurant and we look forward to seeing you again. We do refurbish on a regular basis and hopefully you will se that as you re-visit us.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is probably our third or fourth stay at this hotel,paid just under £1200.00 for four of us to stay in two premier rooms front facing.The rooms were excellent king size bed nice seating area,lovely bathroom with seperate shower cubicle and toiletries.The food was not so good this time,we ate out a couple of times as the menu was not to our liking.It would be nice to be offered a choice of room only b&b or half board.Given the location of the hotel and how nice the premier rooms were i would quite happily pay £80.00 per night for room only. Would we stay here again,of course we would but we would prefer to have a lie in bed in a morning and eat out in the evening.

1  Thank SomersetDaz
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Hi Somersetdaz and its great to hear that you have had another enjoyble stay with us.The premier rooms are the best rooms to stay in and I am glad that you take full advantage of them. There are many different booking options available for booking with us, as that some people do like a bed and breakfast choice . We do also look forward to your next holiday here with us

Reviewed 10 August 2013

My wife and I were disappointed as previous years I gave high reviews. The staff were helpful and pleasant as before, and the food excellent. However, day after day there were shortages of cutlery in the dining room. Eating dessert with a soup spoon and that after we had requested some form of implement? Not being able to book for next year as I have done previously. Was there a shortage of waiting staff in the dining area? All the previous excellent staff had gone.
Reception staff were up to standard. Sharon in the Cafe obliging and hard working. Jane our room cleaner EXCELLENT as usual. Friendly and helpful. However with Reception staff occupied on various enquiries it was left to the staff providing after dinner refreshments or from the bar to dash across to answer the telephone, or provide room keys.Staff shortages again? Or is it down to cost cutting corners?

Room Tip: Front facing
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review of your recent stay and am sorry if you felt that there were changes made that have affected your stay. We have not made any staff cutbacks but if people were busier than usual it may be that you have caught them at a busy time. I will look into your comments about a lack of cutlery at meal times as there should have been enough and the correct placed.Sharon wil be plesed to be mentioned as she has been with us a while and that other staff including the reception - staff despite being busy were to your satisafction.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

If you require a room that is wheelchair friendly you have to pay for a superior room, this will cost you an extra £78 on a two night stay or a whopping £329 on a seven night stay! This is because they say superior rooms are the only ones that can be used by wheelchair users, our room did not have the large tv that is advertised and as there are trees you have no view of the see from any of the superior rooms. We meet our family for a long weekend every year and always stay at a shearings hotel, I am sad to say we have all agreed this will be the last time due to the shearings cut backs to food was not great, and no complimentary toiletries anymore? The staff at the hotel were I have to say really helpful and friendly. We swam in the pool which was not the cleanest and I have an ear infection now so all in all not a great stay.

3  Thank Sahrae C

I am sorry Sahrae C that your stay with us was not as you had hoped. We do have a number of rooms that are wheelchair friendly and we try our best to accommodate guests with all needs, it is not only superior rooms that are able to accommodate a wheelchair, but it is possible that was the only room type abailable at time of booking. It is with regret that you say that you will not return, especially if you have had other enjoyable holidays with us and Ihope that you do book with us again in the future

Reviewed 6 August 2013

My wife and I booked early on in the year through Shearings for our holiday at the Torbay Hotel, paying the supplements for both a superior and front facing room. The room I have to say was splendid, (ROOM 102), however should I have paid the £224 supplement when other people we spoke to that week were upgraded at no cost because they either weren't happy with their rooms or due to lack of rooms they were upgraded, I leave that for you to decide.
Still on the subject of the room I have to say that the lady who cleaned our room was magnificent, towels were replaced every day without asking and the teas, coffees etc., were also replenished daily.
The breakfasts weren't the greatest, a little sparse 2 days only 27 beans, yes I counted them, but no complaints whatsoever about the dinners, plenty of choice and in my opinion quite tasty.
Biggest let down of all the entertainment. If you don't like BINGO.....well...... every night 8-30 until 9-30 just a bit much.This was supposed to be followed by entertainment, thank goodness Ben Nickerless appeared on Thursday the only entertainer worthy of the name.
The staff were all smashing apart from our Hungarian waitress who it would be unfair to name, Nicola the general manager was a lovely, obliging girl as were all on reception and behind the bar.
Furnishings were OK, the pool was a great addition to things.
As I say tweak a few things and I would have rated the Torbay Very Good, and what tweaks you ask, mainly entertainment and the fact that because there are so many elderly and infirm people staying there that week, 62 and we weren't far off being the youngest residents that week. Finally having to sit in the same place in the dining room every meal with the same people.
Would I return to the Torbay......funnily enough yes I would.

Room Tip: This hotel is very much an elderly persons hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sogra

Thank you sogra for your review of your holiday with us. I am pleased that you liked your room and 102 is one of the best rooms in the hotel,although we do not as a rule upgrade people free of charge and that is something that I would need to look into on an individual case. I am glad that Nicola was so helpful to you during your stay and that you found most of the staff also to your liking. Bingo is a popular part of many guests stay and while Entertainment is very much to an individuals taste, we do usually find that the variety is enjoyed by most. It is good that you enjoyed the meals and I will do a 'bean' count to check if 27 is the usual number.
It i always good when our guests enjoy their stay that they say they will return and we will look forward to another visit hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

my wife & I spent a short break here from 2 to 5 aug. the hotel is well situated for all the amenities that Torquay has to offer. there private secure car park is a little way from the hotel,aside from that we could not fault it.Food was first class,the staff very friendly, especially Gabor on reception,nothing was to much trouble for him,Our room was very clean & tidy, a large room in a very quiet part of the hotel.We would definately use this hotel again & would recommend it to family & friends

Room Tip: we had room 326 we would recommend this room if your looking for peace & quiet.At night you coul...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patanmo

Hi patanmo and thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable break at the Torbay and found so many things to your liking. I am especially happy that you found Gabor so helpful to you and we look forward to seeing again

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Just returned from a short break at this Shearings hotel. Location excellent - handy for buses and harbour. Lift very good. Had room 415 - excellent location opposite the lift. Food pretty good - good selection but kippers not cooked enough. Furniture good throughout the hotel - comfortable. Entertainment reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JOHN h
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you John H for your review and I am very glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us.The best recommendation we can have is for people to want to return, so its great to hear that. We look forward to your return.