“Turkey and Tinsel Weekend - Mid-November 2013”
Review of Bay Torbay Hotel

Bay Torbay Hotel
Ranked #34 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Cambridge, UK
“Turkey and Tinsel Weekend - Mid-November 2013”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Travelling with Shearings on their East Anglian coach trip I arrived at the hotel along with 38 other guests. What a lovely coach and driver we had, Dale, I can't believe the coach may be pulled off Shearings books next year due to its age as it was spacious and immaculate, well done Dale.

On arrival albeit a little late at the hotel (the welcome was a little disappointing as the gentleman assigned to greet us had to speak to another coach which arrived minutes before us and then disappeared before coming aboard our coach to greet us after our long journey! We were swiftly given our keys but for some reason they lady didn't offer me mulled wine! I had looked forward to having a couple of sips before hoping to go for a swim, this was dashed as the youngsters moving the suitcases didn't deliver my cases and an hour later myself and another guest on the top floor were about to return 97 steps down to reception to see where they were and found them off loaded in the hall way near the stairs (fire risk!) this was soon cleared when I spoke the management. So I was unable to shower and tidy up for our first meal. like many other guests.

The three meals we had were much better than I expected - our table preferred the first meal the others were good value but the service was hurried and at times the staff lean over you to pass your neighbour food/clear plates, and removed plates when you had toast in your hand etc which is rude - some of the staff in the restaurant need training in basic skills and to be ahead of the promotion we were on i.e complimentary glass on wine with our Christmas dinner, this was resolved by my table guests before I arrived for our dinner, albeit the tone of the waiter spoilt their evening.

The evening entertainment was good fun and with a lovely lady on the first night along with a quiz, bingo and dancing she was so welcoming after our long day, the last evening was a race night after a quiz and bingo and celebrating the New Year with a charming young chap who was fun. Whereas the Saturday night the lady who was part of a duo was speaking to guests like she was a school teacher speaking to children, this offended most of the people around me, the guy with her had a lovely singing voice and should have more say in the evenings events.

The room I had was on the corner on the fourth floor, a lovely warming room with a brown/pink colour scheme. it had two windows with a harbour and front view. I had paid extra for this view along with the single supplement. The bed was extremely comfy and outside noise during the night was minimal except for some noise around sometime after 6am - think the bins being taken out and nice and warm with hairdryer and coffee/tea facilities!

Overall the décor of the hotel was impressive with new carpets and furniture throughout the restaurant, bar and dance room.

The drink prices were a little expensive and I appreciate Shearings need to make some money - but if there were better deals like the Baileys deal I'm sure they would sell more drinks as for the price of 3 doubles my friends around £12 wasn't that much of a deal considering the measures and how you'd have more than half a bottle left, not good value for mature visitors. Bring back the vouchers for 3-4 free drinks.

Could I while talking about drinks compliment the local guy who served the coffee one evening he's was charming and a treasure to meet and very helpful and polite the other waiting staff could learn loads from his charms and the night porter was pleasant and helpful.

The swimming pool is dated and get rid of the plastic plant like things hanging from the ceilings and try and fit in a spa would be an improvement and improve the hallway between the pool and the changing area as is horrible, a lick of paint wouldn't go a miss.

I would highly recommend this hotel and wonder where some of the guests have stayed at I'd give this hotel 85 out of 100, please extend meal times thus less rush for the meals, nicer bread rolls/fresh bread with the meals and train the waiting staff then I would offer score you 95%.

Thanks Charlotte

PS: It was a 50th birthday while at your hotel (Monday) over this weekend for me. I was surprised this was not picked up on the booking form as most hotels look out for specials dates, I travelled alone and a little hotel gift wouldn't have gone a miss!

Hope 2014 is a successful year for the hotel.

Room Tip: room 400 is lovely and comfy.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank dreamacer2005
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at the Torbay and I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us, you have mentioned a lot of positives and that it is always nice to hear. I will look into some of your other comments regarding the restaurant service. I am glad that you enjoyed your glass of wine at dinner, but am sorry your did not get your mulled wine, but we do keep it available throughout the early evening and we would have been only too glad to have given you a glass. Hopefully you can return for another festive break where you can enjoy it at your leisure

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
crewe
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Myself and my partner have stayed in 6 Shearings hotels during the past 12 months and have each time requested a twin room and there has never been a problem, however the Assistant Reception Manager, I believe his name is Mr Gabor, thinks that a twin room can consist of a family room which has 1 double and 1 single bed which are placed at totally different angles so with the bathroom dividing them so that when each person is in bed you cannot see each other due to the locality of the bathroom. Also if each wishes to watch television in bed it is not possible as the tv can only be angled to suit one bed not both.
Before unpacking I went to reception to ask if we could be moved to a proper twin room which is what we requested but Mr Gabor insisted that he had no other rooms and the room we were given was in his opinion a twin room. Not according to the dictionary as I made a special point of looking this up when we arrived home and the description of a twin was an identical or similar people or things and my Readers Digest dictionary actually used a twin bed as an example, so there doesn`t appear to be any reason why we should not have expected a room that contained 2 single beds that were placed side by side.
There are a lot of positive things I could say about this hotel and also positive things regarding many of the staff we met there, however being forced to stay in the room we were allocated put such a major damper on the weekend that I cannot honestly say we enjoyed ourselves to the extent that I would be giving my usual good or excellent review of a Shearings hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jmtigercrewe
Thank you for your posting and firstly thank you for your positive comments in general regarding the hotel and the staff. We do not usually hear of any issues regarding having a family room as a twin bedded room, quite the reverse in fact, where many people enjoy having a larger bed. I do take on board your comments though.
Castle Donington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We would like to thank all the staff at the torbay hotel for their welcome and helpfulness in everything during our tinsel and turkey stay and a special thank you to our designated waiter Lazlo who could not do enough for us nothing was too much and he was very polite and attentive to our needs he always had a smile on his face We would like to thank all of the other staff who were helpful in all other areas.The hotel was clean and warm and the menu was excellent in choice we will certainly come again. Our only concern was the creaky floor but that was only cosmetic. Dot and Phil Bond

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us at the Torbay and in particular Lazlo. I will be sure to pass on your praise to him. I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

a lovely stay Place tastefully decorated for Christmas with background music. lots of extras for Turkey and Tinsel breaks.. Staff welcoming and helpful. All areas very comfortable. All areas clean and kept clean. Food very good with plenty of choice. . Entertainment very good, although starts a little late. One minor drawback - there is only one lift leading to long waits when 3 coaches come in together!
Well done!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Hi Olivia s Thank you for your review of your stay with us at the Torbay and I am glad that you had a Merry Xmas. Its good that you found everything to your liking including the food. I hope that you will return again and enjoy another holiday at the Torbay soon.
UK
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We booked a last minute room here and stayed on the 17th November in room 221 - the building itself is nice, very good staff and down stairs was well decorated. Was a bit disappointed with the room though, the bottom half of the bed was broken, we ended up having to put the duvet cover under the mattress (which was well worn) just to keep our feet at the same level as our heads.
Really wouldn't have harmed to give it a lick of paint as well, flaking off round the door frame in the toilet and the sash window was half rotten. I did look in a room facing the sea when walking past and would say these looked much nicer, so would recommend you paying the extra for one of these rooms if you were to stay but for the money we paid, i.e. £60, travel lodge/premier inn would have much more up to date furnishings (hopefully)

Room Tip: Go for the premium rooms facing the sea front!
1 Thank Dan S
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Hi Dan s and thank you for posting a review of your stay. I am glad that you found many parts of the hotel to be satisfactory and I will look into your comments regarding the bedroom. We do refurbish many of our rooms each year, but with having over 100 bedrooms, it does take us a little time to get around them all. hopefully if you return you can try one of our new bay plus rooms.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

(Stayed 7-11th Nov 2013)
We have been going on Shearing holidays for the past 15 years and this is the first time we have been on a ''Turkey and Tinsel'' weekend. It certainly won't be the last. We would just like to say a big Thank you to all the staff for a very welcoming weekend. There is nothing we can fault about this hotel. Our room was fantastic. It over looked the harbor. It was lovely and clean and a good size. The food was lovely, especially the Christmas dinner. The Christmas pudding was too die for!
The entertainment was very good, Everyone enjoyed the singing and dancing.
My only complaint is that we didn't get wine with our Christmas dinner - You owe us one for next time!- And there will certainly be a next time.
Thank you all once again for everything, The staff and management are a credit to this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 105 that over looked the harbor. There is no fitness center and we didn't use...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you patadpete 18 for your wonderful review of your stay at the Torbay. After 15 years of travelling with us, its good to hear that your holiday was as enjoyable as the others that you have had. I shall pass on your comments to the staff and especially Elaine our head chef who will be delighted to know that she has filled you up. We look forward to your next visit here or at one of our other hotels.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

On a Shearings 5 day mini break. Bags efficiently and quickly brought to our rooms on arrival. Check in organised and prompt. Room 316, front facing (sea and Torquay Eye [wheel] though view obscured by large trees. Most rooms would be similar as the trees were very old. Great room, clean and kept clean, comfortable bed, added bonus of a third bed in an adjoining room (not needed), but great for families. Though on main road, no noise so no early mornings with commuter traffic. Bliss. Great full sized bath, overhead shower etc etc. Heated towel rail. Spacious.
Food good, lots of choice. Enough to suit all palettes. Not gourmet style, but for the price we paid how could it be. Good quality though. Portions on the small side, but absolutely no problem bringing more if you asked for it. Bearing in mind the amount of elderly there it made sense for smaller more manageable portions. It was no hardship to ask for more. Food always hot.
Waitress efficient, though extremely rushed. The same table was reserved for you all week, so no queuing for tables or waiting around.
Entertainment is what you'd expect from what is predominantly a coach hotel. However, it was entertaining, the chap tried very hard to invve people without pressure and did a good job. Different every night and bingo (with good prizes too) nightly.
Bar perfectly acceptable, average prices.
Now, this is a large hotel with only one lift, holding around 6 passengers. This, in my opinion is a massive downfall on its part. A large percentage of the clientele are elderly and need to use it. The wait can be an age. Also on the morning of leaving, we were not allowed to use the lift between 7 and 8am to facilitate bages being moved by the porters. Breakfast was earlier to avoid rushing, yet the lift was not able to be used. I know this caused a problem for many guests I spoke to. Not the staff's fault, but come on Shearings. Do something about this!
The hotel is still in need of work. The rear bar toilets left a lot to be desired and there was an area of ceiling in the rear bar that was leaking when raining, directly to where people sit. The ceiling was in a poor condition. The lighting throughout the connubial areas was poor, quite dimmed (even when the lights were on) so sitting with a newspaper to re as was difficult as not able to see well with poor eyesight. Everyone tried to get window seats. Speaking of newspapers. You can ask the reception to order and keep for you, a paper everyday. They also sell a selection.
I really cannot fault this hotel overall. Excellent value for money. Did what it should, staff tried really hard and generally with a smile. I will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank annie11
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you Annie11 for posting a review of your recent stay with us at the Torbay and I am glad that you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel, including your room, the food and the service that you received form the staff that you came into contact with. We do have the one lift bit we do find that on most occasions it is more than suitable but it can get busy when everyone wants to use it at the same time . I hope that it did not inconvenient you too much though. I will look into your comments regarding a leak and the other areas mentioned, we also have recently refurbished our public areas which we hope improves the ambience of the hotel. It is always pleasing to hear that you will return and we look forward to it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Tor Park Hotel
Best Western Livermead Cliff Hotel
The Headland Hotel
The Headland Hotel
#11 of 87 in Torquay

Been to Bay Torbay Hotel? Share your experiences!