Bay Torbay Hotel
Marquis Hotel(Torquay)
US$125
US$145
PremierInn.com
All reviewsfront facingshearings holidaydining roomsmall liftshearings hotelsself drivelarge treesbig wheelour waiterfourth floorevening mealcoach driverswimming poolsea viewcar parkwaiting staffexcellent position
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Having stayed at this hotel previously we knew what to expect. The rooms are a bit dated but clean and tidy. Food adequate and a reasonable variety of dishes to choose from. Staff over the whole hotel were excellent, friendly and very helpful. The usual complaint about the lift being not really fit for purpose. You get what you pay for and this holiday fitted the bill.

Room Tip: The view from many front facing rooms is blocked off by trees.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter W
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you are happy with your stay at the Torbay and that you have stayed with us before. Its always pleasing to hear that the staff especially were attentive and friendly and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We just spent four nights at The Bay Torbay which we found to be full of character. We had a front facing room on the second floor which overlooked the gardens, fountain and harbour/sea although the sea was rather obscured by large trees. It was a very clean and comfortable room. We found all the communal areas to be clean and tidy. Restaurant service was good. Breakfast was excellent. You had a choice of starter, main and dessert in the evening all of which were very hot. Some of the starters could be a bit more generous I think ie. one evening we had two very thin slices of mozzarella with salad and another evening four very small shrimps in breadcrumbs with salad but we never left the restaurant feeling hungry. Possibly this could be down to the fact that the majority of the guests are elderly on coach tours who don't have such large appetites. The hotel is in an excellent position for the town, harbour, sea front and Princess Theatre if you wish to take in a show. There are also many bus stops closeby to visit other places in Devon.. We found all the staff to be very polite, courteous and friendly. There was some noise from young people outside the hotel a couple of nights but, hey, you are on holiday to have fun. So, if this would bother you it is better to ask for a room at the back. It is also worth requesting a lower floor if you have difficulty walking as there is one small, slow lift which can get busy as times. I would happily return to this hotel if I were in Torquay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine1612
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Thank you Christine1612 for your review of the Torbay. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable holiday with us and that you found the hotel, location, food and all other parts to your liking. It is especially pleasing to read that the staff were courteous and friendly, as they do work very hard .It's also great to hear that if you are visiting Torquay again that you would return to the Torbay, as this is the biggest compliment we could possibly receive.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had a lovely weekend in the Bay Torbay Hotel.Breakfast was early 8-9am but adequate. The evening meal was delicious and an excellent choice.

The room was small at the back of the hotel and the shower very compact but it was clean and the view was of the cliff covered in trees. It did have an old tv that was a bit temperamental but the weather was great so we only in the room to go to sleep.

There is only one lift and it is very slow!! Stairs will keep you fit. The pool is a nice size and ok when you acclimatise.

The staff were really friendly, especially the lady receptionists. They could not have been more helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter as they are not overlooking the road/seafront.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pand68

Thank you pand68 for posting a review of your weekend stay with us. I am glad that you had an enjoyable break at the Torbay and that you found everything to your liking. We are in a great position here, so handy for everything and everywhere. I shall pass on your kind comments to the two girls on the reception too.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife and i stayed weekend 6th. june 2014, great location, staff very freindly and helpfull, food was very good with very efficient service, rooms are comfortable but need refubishing, drinks a bit expensive. Saturday was spoiled when early in the morning I cut and scratched my foot on a sharp end of a spring, which was protruding out of the edge of the mattress, had to be moved to another room as no staff were available to change the mattress. Also I had to fill out accident form after the evening dinner, room was a little better but not much, - all so inconvenient! Would we go back to the torbay hotel?, --- yes, i hope so, - but watch out for those mattress springs.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank rf_smith1
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for posting a review and I am sorry you experienced an issue with your mattress. I hope that you it is healed up. I am sorry for the inconvenience of having to move rooms and will look into the events of the day so as to ensure that this does not recur. I am pleased that you found the staff service and food to your satisfaction and look forward to seeing you return once again

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The bedroom was quite drab, definately in need of a face lift. I do realise this is a big and very expensive job in today's economic climate. The room was very clean, bed comfortable and towels etc changed daily. The staff were very helpful and pleaant. The breakfast was ok the evening meals were a bit hit and miss although I am a coeliac and they did take good care of me and ensured I had a choice of meals. My companios though were not impressed with the evening meals. We were at the back of the hotel so outlook not good but it was quiet some people in the rooms at the front complained of noise at night over the week-end.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret H

Thank you for posting a review and I am glad that we catered for your dietary needs while you were here. We do have an annual refurbishment programme and we are getting there as quickly as is possible, although its pleasing to note that your accommodation was clean and comfortable. We usually get very good comments for our food so am surprised that your friends were not so happy.