Bay Torbay Hotel
US$128
US$103
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Yardley Manor Hotel(Torquay)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$104
PremierInn.com
All reviewsfront facingshearings holidaydining roomsmall liftshearings hotelsself drivelarge treesbig wheelour waiterfourth floorevening mealcoach driverswimming poolsea viewcar parkwaiting staffexcellent position
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for two nights and was quite excited about my visit to Torquay. When i reached the hotel they told me the car park space wasn't ready so i should park right outside the hotel on the main road, i wasnt happy so decided to park in the nearest multi storey which resulted in paying more.

Got to the hotel, and was extremely disappointed with the room as I had been expecting a superior room. It was highly outdated, carpet was dirty, window wouldn't open properly. I went to the reception and complained that it wasn't what i expected and if i could upgrade to a superior (even though that was what i originally paid for) he said it wasnt available anymore and the best he could do was offer us an extra single room. Being there no other option, we took the single room... only to find out the next morning that the shower wasn't working.

The original room was booked for 3 people, yet they only put one towel in the room. Also, there is only one lift which is a bit of a downside.

The night i stayed i didnt sleep at all, neither did my friends. The beds were very uncomfortable, and the duvet thing was itchy.

I got up in the morning and decided to leave, even though i had an extra night. Spoke to the manager about this and he gave me a full refund, still haven't received the money yet but that's probably because of my bank...if not i'll comment back later to let you guys know what happened.

On the plus side, the breakfast in the morning was nice, and was happy with the reception staff as he really helped me out and was concerned about me not enjoying my visit.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Zara A
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

I am sorry Zara A if your stay with us did not meet your expectations as we have so many satisfied guests who stay with us as you can see from the many reviews posted here. If we had the opportunity to solve your issues we moist certainly would have and hope that you try us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel during March 2014 while on a Shearings Holiday. I enjoyed my stay there, the hotel is much the same as other Shearings hotels that I have stayed in, the meals were not over large, but sufficient. The room was of a reasonable size and clean, the only downside was that there was now shower curtain, which resulted in a wet floor each morning.

I had a comfortable bed and am not able to comment on the entertainment as having done a lot of walking just needed rest at the end of the day

One of my “holiday buddies” had a problem with the hotel cafe, the publicity around the hotel suggested that it was open all day. However on the day he wanted to use it the place was shut. He mentioned this at reception and was told that it was not scheduled to be open. If as I suspect this was due to us staying in the low season, maybe mention should be made of this in the notices.

We each received a voucher entitling us to 4 “free” drinks however these had to be taken on the Wednesday. Would it not be better for everyone concerned if it could be adapted to one per day instead?

Be warned if you are not very good on your feet there is a potential problem on the last day. The hotel has only one lift (which is not available to guests departure days as it is used to move cases around). Therefore EVERYONE (able-bodied or not) is forced to use the stairs). Considering the number of older folk who frequent this type of holiday it is not a very satisfactory situation.

Why is it not possible to move the bags earlier so that the lift can be used by people who need it.

This is not helped by the fact that all the coaches (Five on the week I stayed) are due to depart at the same time, surely staggered leaving times would make it easier for both staff and visitors.

The staff in the restaurant were very efficient and a special mention should go to Andrea.

I enjoyed my time in Torquay (although I was frustrated by the reduced public transport and early closing times (it being out of season). So I will be returning for a summer stay to visit the places I missed out on.

Apparently the Torbay Hotel hosted a farewell dinner for the explorer Ernest Shackleton on the night before he departed on his 1907 trip to Antarctica. I am surprised that there is no mention of this in the hotel's publicity.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Lofty17

Thank you Lofty17 for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us. During the early parts of the year when the hotel has all its guests out, the café is shut due to lack of business but we would always get something for you if required. The lift is out of action between the hour of 7am till 8am to enable us to get the luggage down from the rooms but is available again for when the dining room opens for breakfast. We could not ask guests to get their luggage out earlier than 7am as after all - you are on holiday. Thank you for your praise of our staff and Andrea will be pleased to know that she looked after you so well. We do have a n information folder dedicated to Ernest Shackelton in the reception area which has lots of information on his evening meal here at the Torbay including his menu, hopefully when you return you can enjoy reading the contents.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed there for 2 nights. On a positive, very freindly and helpful staff, rooms clean and spacious and for half board which was very good value. on a negative roon was very noisy due to the constant traffic passing by our sea view window.....they would benifit from double glazing! Rooms were a little run down with water damage in the one corner and toilet rails loose etc but still enjoyed the stay and thought it was good value as it was very cheap

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your comments on your weekend with us, I am glad that you had an enjoyable short stay and hope that we see you again if you travel this way. We do have a programme of room refurbishments and get to them as quickly as is practicable, and I am glad that you found us a great value holiday.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

this hotel meets all standards expected, comfy bed, adequate room in en-suite bathroom.
windows are double glazed to keep out the noise from the seagulls, but they do have the decency to go to sleep from 10pm.
the meals are filling and tasty, also the waiters/waitresses are on the ball ,you are not kept waiting.

Room Tip: front facing rooms, face on to the road, rear rooms are quitter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Albert P

Thank you Albert P for your review and I am pleased that we met your holiday needs. I am glad that the seagulls did not stay up late and that you managed a good nights sleep. Thank you for your praise of the food and the staff, it is always good to hear.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This budget hotel is right on the sea front opp the harbour . We had a 4th floor twin room ,we visited on a 4day weekend break. It was baking hot and my biggest comment is we couldn't vent the room it was so hot ,the window was screwed so it would only open 2" ,after one sweltering night we had to have just a simple sheet put on the bed as a cover . The food served all weekend for the money was great ,but the best was the service ,our waitress was exceptional (room 412) but all staff were ever we came into contact were friendly and helpfull ,I would thoroughly recommend this hotel especialy if on a budget it's a great hotel ,great location with great service .

Room Tip: Pay to up grade if available .all look out over the harbour .parking is £8 all day in the shopping centre car park right next door to hotel ,theirs is 10 min walk away costs £5 per day . You can drop your bags off on loading bay outside front door ,
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank paul d

Thank you Paul D for your review of your holiday with us, I am glad that your enjoyed what the Torbay has to offer. including the food and service from the staff. It has been very hot and health & safety dictates that the windows cannot open fully, which we unfortunately have to adhere too, but I am glad that you would recommend the Torbay and hopefully we will see you again soon