“Slipping Standards”

Bay Torbay Hotel
Ranked #30 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
“Slipping Standards”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Returned to the Torbay for a 3 night break. Our last visit was 5 years ago, and there has been a definate decline in standards. We stayed on the fourth floor in a front facing room, and although clean could do with up-dating and double glazing fitted due to traffic noise.
Additionally, the only lift was out of action from the early hours of Sunday morning till 3:00PM - meaning having to decend and climb four flights of stairs - no wonder they have chairs on each landing, you need them to catch your breath. There were disabled people on our floor, so god knows how they coped.
Breakfast was fine, but evening meals offered a poor choice of main courses.
Evening entertainment has declined, with only the comedian on Saturday night lightening the mood.
Would not dash back to this hotel again, although Torquay is certainly worth a visit.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Paul S
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
I am sorry if you did not find your stay as enjoyable as your one before. We have invested heavily in the public areas and bedrooms since then so am surprised at your comments about it being in decline! Life all machinery, lifts do break down but it was repaired as quickly as was possible on the Sunday by the engineer. We feel that we offer good value for money holidays and am disappointed that we were unable to satisfy your requirements on this occasion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I would like to say that the Hotel was clean and tidy and the room had every thing that was listed how ever we where on the top floor and the heat was unbareable we was unable to sleep the indoor swimming pool was locked. The view at the back of the Hotel was rockface about 4ft from the window and the front sea view was blocked by trees.
The location to the centre and the shops could not of been better as it all was just round the corner and the beach was just across the road so not far to go,
So over all there was some good points and some bad but i wouldnt upgrade for a sea view.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Denby01
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am pleased that you found the hotel satisfactory to your needs. We do have a coded lock on the swimming pool door for safety reasons but that code is available to our guests. The location is as you say one of the best around.
Croydon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

After reading several favourable reviews about this hotel, we booked for a weeks holiday. We were not as impressed as we expected......firstly they say you can pre book a car parking space in a 'car park 5 mins walk from hotel ' they do not say it is up either a very steep hill or steep narrow steps....and is nearer to 10 mins walk....The hotel has only ONE!!!!! Very unreliable lift (that broke down twice in our 7day stay) , and as many of the hotel's residents were of the older generation, some with mobility problems this was a major issue as they were unable to get to the restaurant for their meals, also the restaurant did not have a ramp access for wheelchairs. In general the staff were pleasant and efficient and our room although much smaller than expected had all the amenities required.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems ask for lower floors as lift unreliable
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SHARON S
I am sorry that you felt that the many positive reviews we receive were not as you expected, but we do get many satisfied customers as you have read. The car park is not at the hotel but is secure and is accessible to all. I am not sure what you mean about ramp access as we do have ramp access getting into the building and into the restaurant? Thank you for your praise of our staff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Negatives with this hotel was the cleanliness of our room on arrival. The bathroom had not been cleaned as the sink had tea stains and soap marks. Neither did the toilet and bath been wiped cleaned. The hotel only has single glazed windows which means noisy rooms from traffic. We had a travel cot for our little boy and it looked minging with stains and a live spider when we set it up. Breakfast is totally unacceptable. We had to wait 30 minutes for a table and a further 20 to get served. Finally after the wait the porridge was awful had to leave it and the full English was served on small plates suitable for children portions. I complained to the manager and asked for a refund for the breakfast cost for the rest of the duration of the stay. We then eaten at the harvester and it was amazing and the same price. We was so glad we only was Bed and breakfast. Positives is the reception staff are helpful and friendly also the location of the hotel is perfect to nearby attractions.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Darren H
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on your brief stay with us and will of course look into your comments made. I am surprised that the food was not to your liking as we receive many favourable postings on here regarding the quality of what we offer. I am glad that our staff were attentive and friendly and that you found our location to be ideal.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I first stayed at this hotel in march for 5 days with Shearings. Myself and my 13 year old son enjoyed it so we decided to come back for a week, again with Shearings. Again we had a fantastic stay and couldn't fault the hotel. First visit we had a sea view room and this visit we didn't but that didn't deter a good holiday. We loved the flat screen TV which we didn't have in the room on our first visit.
The restaurant service was excellent. Breakfast very filling, evening meals excellent choices. All served by our attentive waiter Laszio.
The hotel is conveniently situated. My son loved it was next to the arcades and shopping area. We also went the cinema which was very close by. Also close to bus stops as we got the bus for several trips out.
All staff in this hotel are very friendly and can't do enough for their guests.
I will be returning to this hotel next year.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sharon H
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hi Sharon H thank you for your review of your recent holiday with us and I am pleased that your second stay with us was as enjoyable as your first. I will pass on your kind words to Lazlo who will be pleased to know that he looked after you and we look forward to your third visit to us next year.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for two nights and was quite excited about my visit to Torquay. When i reached the hotel they told me the car park space wasn't ready so i should park right outside the hotel on the main road, i wasnt happy so decided to park in the nearest multi storey which resulted in paying more.

Got to the hotel, and was extremely disappointed with the room as I had been expecting a superior room. It was highly outdated, carpet was dirty, window wouldn't open properly. I went to the reception and complained that it wasn't what i expected and if i could upgrade to a superior (even though that was what i originally paid for) he said it wasnt available anymore and the best he could do was offer us an extra single room. Being there no other option, we took the single room... only to find out the next morning that the shower wasn't working.

The original room was booked for 3 people, yet they only put one towel in the room. Also, there is only one lift which is a bit of a downside.

The night i stayed i didnt sleep at all, neither did my friends. The beds were very uncomfortable, and the duvet thing was itchy.

I got up in the morning and decided to leave, even though i had an extra night. Spoke to the manager about this and he gave me a full refund, still haven't received the money yet but that's probably because of my bank...if not i'll comment back later to let you guys know what happened.

On the plus side, the breakfast in the morning was nice, and was happy with the reception staff as he really helped me out and was concerned about me not enjoying my visit.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Zara A
SimonWMurray, General Manager at Bay Torbay Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
I am sorry Zara A if your stay with us did not meet your expectations as we have so many satisfied guests who stay with us as you can see from the many reviews posted here. If we had the opportunity to solve your issues we moist certainly would have and hope that you try us again in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel during March 2014 while on a Shearings Holiday. I enjoyed my stay there, the hotel is much the same as other Shearings hotels that I have stayed in, the meals were not over large, but sufficient. The room was of a reasonable size and clean, the only downside was that there was now shower curtain, which resulted in a wet floor each morning.

I had a comfortable bed and am not able to comment on the entertainment as having done a lot of walking just needed rest at the end of the day

One of my “holiday buddies” had a problem with the hotel cafe, the publicity around the hotel suggested that it was open all day. However on the day he wanted to use it the place was shut. He mentioned this at reception and was told that it was not scheduled to be open. If as I suspect this was due to us staying in the low season, maybe mention should be made of this in the notices.

We each received a voucher entitling us to 4 “free” drinks however these had to be taken on the Wednesday. Would it not be better for everyone concerned if it could be adapted to one per day instead?

Be warned if you are not very good on your feet there is a potential problem on the last day. The hotel has only one lift (which is not available to guests departure days as it is used to move cases around). Therefore EVERYONE (able-bodied or not) is forced to use the stairs). Considering the number of older folk who frequent this type of holiday it is not a very satisfactory situation.

Why is it not possible to move the bags earlier so that the lift can be used by people who need it.

This is not helped by the fact that all the coaches (Five on the week I stayed) are due to depart at the same time, surely staggered leaving times would make it easier for both staff and visitors.

The staff in the restaurant were very efficient and a special mention should go to Andrea.

I enjoyed my time in Torquay (although I was frustrated by the reduced public transport and early closing times (it being out of season). So I will be returning for a summer stay to visit the places I missed out on.

Apparently the Torbay Hotel hosted a farewell dinner for the explorer Ernest Shackleton on the night before he departed on his 1907 trip to Antarctica. I am surprised that there is no mention of this in the hotel's publicity.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Lofty17
Thank you Lofty17 for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us. During the early parts of the year when the hotel has all its guests out, the café is shut due to lack of business but we would always get something for you if required. The lift is out of action between the hour of 7am till 8am to enable us to get the luggage down from the rooms but is available again for when the dining room opens for breakfast. We could not ask guests to get their luggage out earlier than 7am as after all - you are on holiday. Thank you for your praise of our staff and Andrea will be pleased to know that she looked after you so well. We do have a n information folder dedicated to Ernest Shackelton in the reception area which has lots of information on his evening meal here at the Torbay including his menu, hopefully when you return you can enjoy reading the contents.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Tor Park Hotel
BEST WESTERN Livermead Cliff Hotel
Bay Esplanade Hotel
Bay Esplanade Hotel
#9 of 18 in Paignton

Been to Bay Torbay Hotel? Share your experiences!