Abbey Lawn Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$165
Marquis Hotel(Torquay)
US$125
US$145
PremierInn.com
All reviewscoach holidaycoach driverour waitertennis courtsrobinsons holidayssea viewmeal timesevening entertainmentmet some lovely peoplepiping hotfloor boardsother guestswell run hotelplenty of choiceenjoyable holidaysea frontcleaned every day
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just goes to show you shouldn't listen to all you read! We have just returned from a weekend break at the Abbey Lawn Hotel on a KGB deal. I have to say that I almost cancelled after reading so many awful reviews! Thank goodness we didn't! I think we received value for money, especially considering we used a KGB deal. Yes the floorboards creak - it's an old building. Yes they have got set times for meals - wasn't a problem. Food was okay and varied. If you want 4 star then you need to book into a 4 star hotel! Our room was huge overlooking the tennis courts with beautiful sash windows. Yes the rooms are tired looking but are spotlessly clean, warm and supplied with plenty of tea, coffee, biscuits and bottled water. There was entertainment on both nights and the staff were very helpful and attentive. My only negative point is that the hotel uses blankets instead of duvets. This is a personal dislike of mine, but the bedding was still spotless and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel. Even more so if you can book using a KGB deal. My husband and I would certainly book into this hotel again. So, if like me you've been reading all the reviews and are feeling apprehensive - DON'T just go to the Abbey Lawn and enjoy the break! We certainly did.

Room Tip: Rooms over the tennis courts have better views and If you use the indoor pool don't forget your £1 for the locker!
5  Thank Julie D
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I cannot understand recent reviews (kgb deals) which appeared quite damning. We experienced a good and varied menu. Nothing was too much for our waiter(Jon) prompt serving and clearing away. Our room was clean and of good décor. From joining our coach, all our luggage was handled for us. A very enjoyable coach holiday, reasonably priced and travel insurance included. Thank you Robinsons and Abbey Lawn. The lift needs updating.
Allen our driver , excellent, Jovial and well versed in local knowledge

4  Thank Brymar
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have had real difficulty in writing this review as everything that I wanted to say has already been said by other recent reviewers, most of whom must have spent the same week-end as my wife & I. Like other reviewers, I had booked with the Abbey Lawn on a KGB deal. £99 for two nights with breakfast & evening meal included - how could this not be a good deal ?
We were greeted with a nice surprise upon arrival. When booking (central booking), I was told that only Twin Rooms were available on the week-end I wanted. I begrudgingly accepted this although Shanice did say that she would try to find me a Double, possibly by way of a cancellation, before my arrival. Good to her word, we were allocated a very nice Double Room (115) with Four Poster Bed and distant sea view. Apart from the very squeaky floor, no complaints whatsoever. Hotel staff were very pleasant and the hotel was scrupulously clean.
What was most unusual was that no card details were taken on arrival for purchases during your stay. We soon found out that this was because everything was required to be a cash transaction. Again-unusual, but no great problem. As stated in other reviews, what let the Abbey Lawn down was its restuarant. Fixed meal times for all at 8.30am for Breakfast & 6.30 for Dinner, did make the atmosphere a little Retirement Home. Food Quality could best be described as 1960s School Dinners, filling but not very appetising in either presentation or content. The restuarant staff were however very attentive, managing to get guests through three courses in just over thirty minutes.
In conclusion, a very good deal, accomodation good, hotel position good, staff good, food not so good.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a superior room with seaview.
6  Thank Spitfireman2002
Reviewed 17 March 2014

stayed on a kgb deal 3 days ago. so basic, food the worst i have ever had in any hotel in torquay. waiter was rude and miserable. room basic clean, but not somewhere i would like to wake upto. the bar closed at 11.15, people were arriving back from an evening out and wanted a nightcap, no chance shutter was pulled down and that was that. could not believe that breakfast was one glass of cheap orange juice but then not allowed cereal, pathetic, what would that have cost! we ate out for rest of our stay as could not bear the restaurant experience again. you could not pay me to stay here again!!!!

4  Thank julie b
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We were very fortunate to have the best weekends weather in a long time. which made our weekend all the better.

The hotel was ok dinner was ok the breakfast was ok. I would visit again on another deal.

3  Thank bo55man