“Very good value”
Review of Abbey Lawn Hotel

Abbey Lawn Hotel
Ranked #60 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Lovely welcome when we arrived. The receptionist helped with our luggage to our room. Room was a little dated, but lovely , with a wonderful
view of the gardens and we had a patio. Room was very clean and excellent supplies of tea and coffee. The meal times were regimented - 8.30 breakfast and 6.30p.m breakfast, but probably needed due to so many coach parties. Waiter service was extremely friendly and organised. The vegetarian options were nice- the only criticism I have is that I couldn't have a vegetarian sausage with my breakfast on one of the days as I hadn't requested it the night before. I feel they need to be more flexible with things like that . Also the glasses are tiny! I would have expected a larger size. The menu is misleading with lots of use of or, which on the first day made me think I couldn't have cereal as a starter as I had already had fruit juice. When in fact you can have the extra things if you ask the waiter. Also more flexibility needed with the packed lunches. My friend has a lot of food allergies- yet wasn't allowed a banana in replacement of an apple (which she can't eat) or another drink instead of fruit juice (which she can't drink). Location was wonderful- very close to the seafront.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Hicksified

Reviewed 5 April 2014

first time to this hotel it is a nice hotel to stay in torquay, we went for our anniv ersary on st patrick day march 17th 2014.we went mon to fri. the waiter we had was excellent, quick serving your food, good choice of food.the hotel was spotless clean. the cleaning ladies could have give you a few more cartons on milk for you drink in your room. they could have a few more staff on.to get in to town it a 10 minswalk or you could catch the bus in to town.

4  Thank CHARLIEBOY62
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I must say that I have generally found TripAdvisor reviews to be accurate, but certainly not in the case of this hotel. I am a fussy traveller and find it hard to understand why this hotel has received so many bad reviews from KGB clients.
We stayed here with another couple for a KGB weekend deal last weekend and I have nothing but praise for the place. The rooms were clean (albeit a little dated), the staff were efficient and friendly and the food was wholesome and well presented. At £99 for 2 people for 2 days BB&3-course dinner what do people expect?
The hotel clearly caters more for bus tours and as such it needs to adopt a more rigourous timetable, for example dinner at 6:30pm and breakfast at 8:30am (little flexibility. However to have the meals served so efficiently and arriving hot can only be applauded, when they cater for over 120 guests.Thank you for a nice, comfortable stay, Please do not assume all KGB clients are all the same.
As for the couple who commented they would rather stay in a tent I would suggest they might be better suited to that!!!

11  Thank PeteCaerdydd
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Before I start you need to know that we paid extra to upgrade to a room with a sea view.
The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the sea front. Yes we did have a sea view but it was a very distant view.
The room was very spacious and spotlessly clean. Included in the tea tray were little packets of biscuits (nice touch).The bathroom was very large, modern and spotlessly clean and toiletries are supplied.
Yes the evening meal and breakfast are at set times but the food was tasty and hot.
This hotel seems to be run on minimum staff but they are all polite and helpful.
Yes they have coach parties but these probably keep the hotel open and if you do not wish to sit in on the evening entertainment there is a lovely spacious conservatory with plenty of seating and lovely grounds on a nice evening.
Would recommend to anyone.

7  Thank 3ohappycouple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Food awful like school dinners guest rounded up like sheep at set meal times staff very unpleasant worse than fawlty towers not recommended to stay here if your under 70 years old the only good thing was the whether we had on March 14th weekend the gym was none existent and pool area was unsuitable to use

Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank Angela E
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Reading the reviews the day before departure my wife and I set off with some trepidation!But on arrival and accessing our room we were pleasantly surprised. The room was of good size, very clean, and had views over the sea. All the staff were very helpful and service in the bar and restaurant was very efficient. The entertainment was very good and better than expected.
Menu choice was limited but adequate and served hot and fresh. For £45 a night it was good value for money - coach travel included!

Room Tip: We paid extra for a premier room and it was well worth it.
5  Thank David A
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just goes to show you shouldn't listen to all you read! We have just returned from a weekend break at the Abbey Lawn Hotel on a KGB deal. I have to say that I almost cancelled after reading so many awful reviews! Thank goodness we didn't! I think we received value for money, especially considering we used a KGB deal. Yes the floorboards creak - it's an old building. Yes they have got set times for meals - wasn't a problem. Food was okay and varied. If you want 4 star then you need to book into a 4 star hotel! Our room was huge overlooking the tennis courts with beautiful sash windows. Yes the rooms are tired looking but are spotlessly clean, warm and supplied with plenty of tea, coffee, biscuits and bottled water. There was entertainment on both nights and the staff were very helpful and attentive. My only negative point is that the hotel uses blankets instead of duvets. This is a personal dislike of mine, but the bedding was still spotless and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel. Even more so if you can book using a KGB deal. My husband and I would certainly book into this hotel again. So, if like me you've been reading all the reviews and are feeling apprehensive - DON'T just go to the Abbey Lawn and enjoy the break! We certainly did.

Room Tip: Rooms over the tennis courts have better views and If you use the indoor pool don't forget your...
5  Thank Julie D