I am always wary about criticising a 2* hotel as it is what it says on the tin! I believe that the 'official' description of this rating may be 'typically small independently owned properties which offer a satisfactory level of quality and convenience. Services may be limited but the accommodation should be well maintained" (www.stayinukhotels.com). I did know roughly what to expect at the Cavendish however they could so easily improve many things. I can only speak for my room as I did not see any others. It's not good enough for management to say if you are not happy with your room come and speak to us - everyone should be shown to a room which is 'well maintained'. This hotel actually has potential but people expect a certain standard of cleanliness regardless of what they pay. I would imagine that a lot of the repeat business is from bus tours and some of the people from one bus said that they had been before and standards had gone down since the last time. Didn't go to the pool so can't comment on that. If you want your tv to work you have to ask for a remote control as it is not offered to you on arrival.
Positive things about this hotel
1) The staff at reception are very helpful
2) The reception area and reception toilets are good
3) There is entertainment
4) The shower in the en suite was good
5) Sheets and towels were clean
Negative things about this hotel
1) You can't get in the front door and have to walk from the bus round to the car park and in the back door. That is difficult for old people getting off the land train or bus on main street. That door looks extremely scruffy and could easily be sorted.
2) The waiters/waitress are touchy feely and loud, which perhaps some people like. They also call you my love, sweetheart and other inappropriate endearments. Again maybe some people are happy with that.
3)Food was just acceptable. Plenty of it but anything fried tasted as if fat was old.
4)Bedroom needed a good deep clean and paint job. The en suite (see photos) had a drinking glass on the toilet cistern because the cup holder was too small. That was disgusting and needless to say never used. Radiator was covered in rust spots and there was a suspect brown mark under the toilet paper holder (which incidentally was difficult to get paper out of!)
5) Clean sheets for the room were left outside on the floor, waiting for the occupant to leave. The floor?
6)Couldn't get radiator to work and it was cold in room in the evening
7) I believe that room 7's toilet roll holder was about 5 feet away from the toilet. The light switch for that room was by the bath and not near the door, making it difficult to find in the dark.
Fortunately I didn't have to spend much time in either the room or the restaurant as I was too busy enjoying Torquay, which is a nice town. I'm sure there are nicer places to stay for the same price. It is up a steep hill so possible not suitable for people with mobility problems although there is a land train stops across the road. All in all a very average hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family-run two-star hotel only 400 m from the sea front and ten minutes from town. We have excellent facilities and nightly entertainment, our rates are very competitive and a large number of regular guests come back to us year after year. Groups and individuals welcome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Cavendish Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cavendish Hotel Torquay, Devon