“GIVE IT A WIDE BERTH”

Ranked #54 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Merseyside
“GIVE IT A WIDE BERTH”
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I stayed at this hotel in Sept. with a large coach party. It is without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Take notice of the awful reviews on this site because every one is true (and then some). I cannot imagine the standards of the people who have put good reviews on the site.

The room we stayed in had the most awful stench and there was a damp patch on the ceiling which became worse after overnight rain. We walked up 6 flights of stairs rather than use the lift because it was so small and, again, had the same horrible smell. The hotel's answer to our complaint about the smell in the room was to spray it with a cheap aerosol.

On one of the landings there was a large damp patch next to a light fitting. There were spores growing on the patch and the corridor smelt terrible. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls and the carpet in many parts of the hotel was filthy. Some of the bannisters were loose and in the event of a fire it would be like a maize trying to find your way out. There were cupboards on the landings with dirty linen spilling from them.

I could not wait to get home. The kennels we left the dog in was like a 5 star hotel compared to this. Dont go there !!!!!!!

5 Thank twirliemo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Just spent a long weekend at the Cavendish. The staff a friendly and welcoming and the price we paid was on the lower end of the hotel price spectrum. In our room , the wallpaper was coming away from the walls or missing completely, the bathroom was so small I could sit on the loo and rest my chin on the sink, the curtains were just about hanging on by the hooks and the carpet and other decor should have been changed years ago. The shower was either ran hot or cold at random and water ran everywhere as the mucky curtain didn't really cover. The food was canteen style take it or leave it and pretty rustic. The staff tried to serve us all on time but we ended up waiting or giving up the later courses. This hotel would probably be ok for folks just looking for a bed for a value bed for a night. If you're the particular type who would look at the mattress before you got in, don't even think about it.

• Stayed October 2009
2 Thank Mixreview

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

southampton
Reviewed 15 September 2009

This hotel is the worst ever. Myself,husband and sister were with a coach leisure break tour from Southampton.On arrival,7/9/09, our shower (over bath) was not working. My husband is disabled and unable to use bath and I also have difficulty, so shower most important. Bathroom very out dated. My sister was also unable to use her shower(cubicle) as only steam coming out,unable to regulate water.Rooms very poor decor,not clean in appearance. Second day plumber fixed shower in sister's room,although leaked from door. Unable to repair ours,said he was waiting for a part that had been on order for more than 4 weeks already!!This room should not have been in use. No one available to sort a change. Not interested!!!! For the remaining 3 nights(too many) we shared my sister's shower. Good thing she was with us. Rooms not cleaned properly. Sheets not changed. Did have clean towels although on first night towels in sister's room were dirty and one even had blood on it. DISGUSTING!!! We paid extra for sea views, which we could just make out through buildings and trees. Not really a sea view at all. More than the 400m from beach as advertised,on hill. Definately more than 5 or 10 mins.walk from Town Centre. Taxi took over 10 mins. Food noone could eat. Never seen so much waste.Full english breakfast (not) had less on plate each morning,less choice(no choice). Not buffett. Could only have fruit juice or cereal not both. Our waiter was helpful but kitchen staff not..Would not change anything on menu,had to be as laid out. If you didn't like anything ,too bad. No alternative.You wouldn't want to eat it anyway. Custard coloured water!!. We ate out at Wetherspoons and Harvester. Highly reccommended. The hotel is like a rabbit warren,need a map to find rooms. Apparently it is 5 houses that have been knocked into one building. Entertainment on 2 nights quite reasonable but not cabaret. Fortunately coach very comfortable with good driver. Will look on trip adviser before booking future trips. However I had spoken with someone in hotel on phone enquiring about suitability of hotel and area and was assured everything was ideal and sea views were very good. Also lift to floor below ours,which we had to use,or walk up lots of stairs, only held 2 people,(said3) like a coffin!!!! Dreadful!!!!!

2 Thank lamarron
portsmouth
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Rude and offensive waiting staff who couldn't wait to get you in and out of the (so-called) restaurant as quickly as possible. Guests spoken to like inconvenient nuisances. Food absolutely dire - mostly. No point complaining as met with complete rudeness! No hot water first night, others in (coach) party reported no working shower (and no effort made by hotel staff to address this the duration of stay), holes in sheets/towels, we found a hole in the bedroom floor! General state of place, extremely poor and is state of disrepair. Noise at night from the 'entertainment' made the floor in the room vibrate, impossible to sleep. Most of all - the attitude of the waiting staff was absolutely offensive, has to seen (or filmed) to be believed! Do NOT go here...or at least only to substantiate further complaints to the tourist board.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Sharon B
Dorset
Reviewed 8 September 2009

This Hotel was not a choice we would have made as it was part of a guided tour.My wife & I stayed 3 nights here & quite frankly,they where 3 nights too many!The origional room we had been given was right up in the room & was very poor,my wife had to change it for another room,which was better,but still not up to a very good standard.
It was once a grand hotel,but now it is very tired & worn out,with very noticeable faults all around,I dread to think what would happen in the event of an accident as it is a rabbit warren & hard to find your way around,we are both fairly young,but an elderly person would find it very hard.
The rooms where shabby & poor,food of a very poor standard,staff indifferent to its customers & broken glass in outdoor pool.
The staff are trying to do the best they can in poor quality surroundings.
The location is probably the only plus I can give it.

5 Thank poolehornet
glasgow
Reviewed 1 September 2009

My husband and myself stayed at the cavendish for one week . On arrival the room we were allocated to say the least ,was small , would be an understatement . Bath but no shower and very old fashioned. Upon asking for another room this was not a problem.
The room was serviced daily although the bedding was not changed during our stay.
Restaurant was very dated and the food not very nice, we ate out a few times.The hotel staff in general were very helpfull and polite.
All in all this hotel is very badly in need of refurbishment.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank molly072
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Cavendish Hotel
Please read my full feedback, press onto more at the end of the section.
On arrival we were given our rooms.
The one room being 229 was awful.
The outside of the room had a plank of wood on the ceiling above the door where it had previously collapsed.
When we opened the door it smelt of damp and you could see the damp patches on the ceiling above the bed. The room was not clean, with bits in the draws from previous guests.
There was a sky light within a false ceiling.
Wallpaper was ripped off the walls, and the boarder was also ripped. Not a welcome I was expecting although I had read previous reviews and hoped to find that the hotel had received complaints and these complaints had been dealt with.
First impressions count.
We went and found another hotel that had spare rooms.
On return to the Cavendish I spoke with the manager on duty and told him (whose name was Richard) we were not staying.
He told me that we would be charged for all the meals as he had planned them for our 7 day stay we were a party of 3 and I could not afford to lose that amount of money.
I asked to be transferred to a better quality of room and if that was not to my standard then I would take the matter further. He did remind me that this was only a 2 star hotel, but the other hotel I went to see including the room was a same star rating and was 200% better.
After a tour of some new found rooms, we had 2 rooms of a much better standard one having a sea view photos will be included in this review.
I was dreading what would happen next, but I can say this.
Food very good with a good choice.
Staff after a rocky start helpful, although didn’t offer any help getting the cases down for us on the morning we left.
Bar staff excellent and did not stand for any trouble.
Food very good with a good choice. Meal staff good and did there best to see your meals were on time without to much of a wait between courses. We didn't find any unwanted guests in the food, hopefully we didn't eat any unknowly!! You could only have one fruit juice but as I did not drink tea or coffee I asked for another fruit juice.
Location excellent, down hill to the sea front, yes up hill on the return but not to bad after a few trips.
Entertainment on the whole was good, except the magician who was a bit amateur.
On the whole after viewing the rest of the hotel, the hotel was of a fairly good standard , but they need to do it up so a higher standard to encourage people to return. My advice to the management would be quality and not quaintly.
My best advice would be to complain if you get a room which is not up to standard, because if you don’t the hotels get away with it. You come on holiday to get away from stress and you do not want to feel stressed when you are paying good money for a well deserved break. Good luck and don’t accept second best. But I won't be staying again.
Anne-Marie Darby Birmingham UK