Cavendish Hotel
  • Beachfront
US$103
PremierInn.com
US$247
All reviewsgames roomstar hotelland trainwaiting staffevening mealbit datedsea frontfriendly hotelcouldn't do enoughweekend breakentertainmentalisonsingertlcbingoseafront
Reviewed 30 October 2009

read some bad comments about the hotel,feel after are visit we feel they were very unjust comments ,found the staff friendly and very helpful ,entertainment very good and food was lovely would go and stay there again .

1  Thank traffie45
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Service not professional at all. On arrival there was no welcome, receptionist just doled out room keys pointed to a man and said he will point out where your rooms are. Staff scruffy and not helpful. Our rooms were dirty, scruffy, very dated, the windows were broken, bathrooms same didn't even use shower because didn't stay long enough. Dining room was in the basement was same dirty, scruffy and I forgot to mention throughout the hotel there was an awful odour, it was particularly worse in my room for some reason. Hotel was not near sea as I was lead to believe and was a long walk from the front. All in all I would say don't even consider going to stay there, the place needs demolishing and rebuilding.

4  Thank leoYorkshire
Reviewed 26 October 2009

This hotel exceeded all expectations, where else can you get all this for the money we paid. I've travelled all over the world from the Caribbean to Newquay, 2* to 5* and i'd like to think i know my hotels. This hotel obviously isn't the ritz so if you expect 5* then don't go. As a 2 star hotel goes though this is well above average. I don't understand all the prevouse comments. I mean what do you want for £25 - £30 a night, Four course evening meal with good variety, Full English breakfast , good live entertainment nightly and probably the friendliest staff i've ever experienced in a hotel. Thank you once agin for a great holiday. We will definatley be returning in the new year.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cimorgan
Reviewed 14 October 2009

I stayed at this hotel in Sept. with a large coach party. It is without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Take notice of the awful reviews on this site because every one is true (and then some). I cannot imagine the standards of the people who have put good reviews on the site.

The room we stayed in had the most awful stench and there was a damp patch on the ceiling which became worse after overnight rain. We walked up 6 flights of stairs rather than use the lift because it was so small and, again, had the same horrible smell. The hotel's answer to our complaint about the smell in the room was to spray it with a cheap aerosol.

On one of the landings there was a large damp patch next to a light fitting. There were spores growing on the patch and the corridor smelt terrible. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls and the carpet in many parts of the hotel was filthy. Some of the bannisters were loose and in the event of a fire it would be like a maize trying to find your way out. There were cupboards on the landings with dirty linen spilling from them.

I could not wait to get home. The kennels we left the dog in was like a 5 star hotel compared to this. Dont go there !!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2009
5  Thank twirliemo
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Just spent a long weekend at the Cavendish. The staff a friendly and welcoming and the price we paid was on the lower end of the hotel price spectrum. In our room , the wallpaper was coming away from the walls or missing completely, the bathroom was so small I could sit on the loo and rest my chin on the sink, the curtains were just about hanging on by the hooks and the carpet and other decor should have been changed years ago. The shower was either ran hot or cold at random and water ran everywhere as the mucky curtain didn't really cover. The food was canteen style take it or leave it and pretty rustic. The staff tried to serve us all on time but we ended up waiting or giving up the later courses. This hotel would probably be ok for folks just looking for a bed for a value bed for a night. If you're the particular type who would look at the mattress before you got in, don't even think about it.

2  Thank Mixreview