1,054 results
All reviewsgames roomwaiting staffevening mealbit datedsea frontweekend breakentertainmentalisonsingertlcbingoseafront
998 - 1,003 of 1,054 reviews
Reviewed 13 July 2010

My wife and I took our sixteen month baby to the seaside for his first trip and had the fortune to pick 4 nights at the Cavendish Hotel where we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Both pools and sauna were absolutely superb and the baby enjoyed every minute in his little inflatable until he was tired out in the lovely heated pools. We had a great room number 234 where he could see his favourite programmes on the 19" slim TV. The Hotel really excelled with the meals and the sincere friendlyness of the waiting staff where nothing was ever too much trouble for them and were so kind to our little boy who was such a nuisence at the dining table as you can imagine. We really miss the staff as they were all superb and little josh ,misses them most of all as they made such a fuss of hoim and spoilt him every day. Our room was kept beautifully clean and tiday every day by the wonderful kind and pleasant lady who really looked after us all. I can't fault the Cavendish so please don't believe any negative reviews that people write as I have said 2 Star Hotel 5 Star Staff. Thank you one and all at the Cavendish we will be back.
Kindest Regards
John Anita and Joshua Hall-Owen.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank johnjamesowen
Reviewed 21 June 2010

lets not forget it is a two star hotel after reading reviews thought my husband would say were you brought me,yes it is an old building and would be lovely if modenised but you would certainly pay for that.staff were friendly on arrival,always helpfull if we asked any questions,always the things i worry about are clean sheets,towels,toilets etc were fine,entertainment was more for older clientel but we didnt mind that went out into town or the sports bar round the corner,theres a road train that runs every day till 4,£3 return we didnt use it but it looks fun.personally i thought the food was quite good for 2star always a choice,service wasnt alway great think they had new staff but the head waiter was always polite and sorted out any problem,infact the lemon cheesecake was the nices ive ever tasted.i would return for a cheap n cheerful break,thank you cavendish.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fortysomethink
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Can't understand reviews saying it's a wonderful hotel.
It was grubby, the staff indifferent & the food truly awful for our weekend. The whole place should be shut down & refurbished. 2* shouldn't mean that you have to accept poor standards of cleanliness & offhand manner of staff.
My room was basic - fair enough, but the carpet needed a good clean or renewal, & there was a sizeable hole in the bathroom floor covering - how many germs harbouring there!
Telephone not working but there was indifference from the chap who came up to check it out, no apology, just a shrug of the shoulders. Asked if the coaches outside my window could be asked to cut their motors that had been running for well over an hour but was told that the hotel didn't employ the drivers! So guests don't count!
Breakfast was so slow we were late for our appointment in the Toorak Hotel ( a place to be recommended), as I didn't want a full English I asked for just bacon & tomato to be told tomato wasn't available, only baked beans. Cup of coffee was cold & the tea my friend ordered didn't come, ladies on next table gave us theirs! Next morning tomato was available but it was tinned & the plate swimming in the juice unforgivable when fresh tomatoes are easily available. Evening dinner of pork was very overcooked & I couldn't cut it. Roast potatoes were soggy & grey inside.
Upon leaving I found a soiled garment in the top of the wardrobe - goodness knows how long it had been there.
Seems that this hotel caters for coach parties that come & go on short stays so people may feel it isn't worth complaining.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank TapBunny
Reviewed 18 May 2010

We booked up at this hotel first and then went to the reviews, and caught sight of a couple of bad reviews. However when we got there we we were greeted at reception by courteous and friendly staff. Apart from breakfast, we had one dinner there, and though not adventurous the food was tasty and hot. Breakfasts were not bad at all, though we prefer Continental to English. However our breakfast lady was a superstar, 11 out of 10 !!! The evening entertainment was not to our taste though, rather polite and Nineteen Sixties, and other people enjoyed it, though most of them were even older than us . It is close to the Rail Station, the seafront and to the buses and taxis, so this is a plus.
As we are a couple who do not tend to stay around our holiday hotel because we want to be up and doing, it was ideal. It is a two star hotel so bear that in mind, do not expect five star facilities, but you may be pleasantly surprised. As my title suggests don't always believe what you read, there are serial bad-mouthers out there who hate everything. All in all, thank you Cavendish

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patbermac
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Found the Hotel to be a bit of a maze but very welcoming,the staff were very warm and friendly aswell as helpful.
Food was of a very good standard with a good selection.
Cannot comment on the enterainment as we were out most evenings,but there were acts on most nights.
Hotel was situated very near the sea front and promade.
Would definitely return next time I visit Torquay