“THIS HOTEL WAS AN ICE BOX”
Review of Cavendish Hotel

Cavendish Hotel
Ranked #54 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Hollingbourne, United Kingdom
“THIS HOTEL WAS AN ICE BOX”
Reviewed 3 December 2010

This hotel needs a lot of money spent on it
The rest of our party were very cold and we nearly had a whip round for a shilling for the meter..........
There was no swiming pool or should i say it was green with mould.
The food was sometimes a joke

5 Thank very_isappointed
Richard_Cavendish, General Manager at Cavendish Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2011
Thank you for your review.

You'll be pleased to hear that we are currently upgrading our main bar and completing an extensive renovation of the public areas in the Paignton Wing. The new bar is going to look fantastic, with a new laminate floor, stage etc as well as new toilets in reception. We are a family business and unlike the big chains we do not have millions of pounds to spend at the drop of a hat, but we work very hard on improving our hotel.

I feel the comments regarding the place being cold are somewhat unfair considering this was right in the middle of Devon's coldest snap for decades! Although we have good boilers servicing all areas we bought extra portable heaters which we gave out as needed to anyone who reported being cold.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Polish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2010

My third visit to this hotel this year. During first visit I became friends with some of the staff in the bar, restaurant, reception also one of the entertainers. On both other visit those people welcomed me as a friend, which naturally made me feel very welcome. I also made more friends and thoroughly enjoyed my visit, as did my friend. All the staff are friendly, ready and willing to help in any way possible, I am looking forward to my next visit to Torquay and my stay in the Cavendish. The hotel has 3 lifts, easy access top reception, an indoor and outdoor pool, also a Sauna. Bar prices are reasonable, with quick and friendly service, as well as the restaurant, with good food and good friendly service. What more can you ask?

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank carl_reynolds39
dorset
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I have just returned from a weekend at the above hotel, before I went, having read some of the reviews I was apprehensive, however, the hotel was excellent value for the money, rooms were warm and comfortable, food very good, and without exception the staff were very friendly and helpful...one lady fell and hurt her leg, and they administered first aid, got her to hospital and served food in her room the next day.
My only grumble is - I had to pay an £11 supplement for a single room, which was very small and the window faced another wall, so it was rather dark all the time, however it was comfortable and warm and the bath water always hot....the price we paid wouldnt have covered a Christmas meal at some hotels., and it included coach travel and trips out.

1 Thank ErlanDorset
Reviewed 14 November 2010

This is a hotel in need of millions being spent on it.cheap and very nasty ! You get what you pay for - pay a little more and go somewhere else

3 Thank Setrabus

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Milford Haven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2010

All OK, ezcept, the toilet was a little too small. Room clean, housekeeping on the ball. Meals were great. If you get the waiter we had (Emma) She will see that you want for nothing. Look for tabel No. 50.

All in all, it was great.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ferrallblack
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2010

Maybe the worst hotel in torquay and probably the worst one I've stayed in the UK. Definitely not to be visited again.The twin room was absolutely tiny and we felt cramped including the shower which was so small I kept knocking the control from freezing to "scalding".Throughout our stay we kept bumping into one another and felt very claustrophobic.Getting to sleep at night was impossible even though we did not go to bed very early. The cause of the noise came from the bar directly below our room.They played music & karaoke every night except line dancing night which was held in another room, but on this night a group arrived back from the theatre at 10.30 to drink at the bar and they sang til very late!I had to purchase ear plugs so that I'd be somewhat awake the next day and could escape!
To balance things up food was edible but not to a great standard which was no surprise due to the packaged coach trip.Restaurant staff were very keen & helpful but I believe this was thought of as being above & beyond their basic duty and a reward was expected at the end of the stay.Just because it was cheaper than other hotels doesn't mean it has to be nasty as well in this day and age.

4 Thank lucy-in-the-sky-diam
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Hotel was ok, all staff friendly.
Room was in need of a makeover, both window sash cord had broken, so window kept open with a piece of MDF, carpet needed a good shampoo. Beds were comfortable with crisp clean sheets.
Restaurant was fine, food was very good & plenty of it with a good choice of starters , mains & desserts.
I went with my mum (76) we ended up at the hotel at the start of their 'Turkey & Tinsell' season.

1 Thank Deb1550