“Lovely...........but........”
Review of Allerdale Hotel

Allerdale Hotel
Ranked #70 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 7 April 2012

While I do not disagree with the fabulous comments already posted about both the service and location of the Allerdale hotel, I must protest a little. I love the character of the hotel, the dated features have been well preserved and cared for, the garden is in fact very beautiful, the location is great with only a short walk to all required amenities. My protest however comes from something somewhat minor but off putting all the same, this is the dreaded musty smell of age and damp. That awful feeling you have when you walk into a room (or get into an old car) and all you smell is age, that vomit prevoking smell of damp.

Again let me reiterate we have had a pleasant stay at the Allerdale and even the lack of a shower in our room hasn't thwarted a lovely weekend but despite the pleasant features listed above, I fear my opinion is somewhat deteriorated from the smell of damp in the reception room, our room and in particular the bar.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank MoobagAndCo83
There are newer reviews for Allerdale Hotel

Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed for just one night and were not sure when we would arrive. We expected to be late but Louise just said to give them a call 1/2 an hour before we got there so they could let us in. It was well after 9 but Louise and Martin immediately made us feel at home and very relaxed. An excellent Indian takeaway was ordered from the Bombay Palace and we took this in the bar downstairs.
The bedroom was large and the beds comfortable. My friend was given the chance to sleep in another room at no extra charge as they weren't full. Fortunately for me as he snores!
The hotel has some very grand rooms and is very spacious, yet cosy and friendly. A return trip is needed to explore Torquay further.

Room Tip: Just ask, Martin and Louise are very accomodating.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2011

What can I say this is the best hotel I've stayed at,from the moment we walked in to the moment we walked out the service was brilliant the abbott family made us feel truly special,on entering louise have us 2 room keys and asked us to choose which room we would like they where both stunning and nicely decorated we decided on the one with the fantastic view over the gardens and coast,the food at meal times was simply exquisite all high quality and freshly cooked the only downside was we where too stuffed to move for the evening,bravo to bimbo the chef!the bar downstairs was great and the abbots kept us entertained every evening making us feel like true friends!breakfast next morning was how a cooked english should be with real size rashers of bacon and gave us a great start to the day,only downside of the whole stay was leaving after such a great stay,be warned louise we will be back!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank bosephus
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed the weekend here and thoroughly enjoyed it. The lounge which overlooks the well kept gardens is beautiful with huge ceilings, grand windows and fireplaces all decorated to perfection. The whole hotel is immaculately clean, beautifully furnished and very elegant. We were offered tea on arrival and could not have been made more welcome. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and also immaculate. The breakfast was excellent and were offered a great choice, no one would go hungry here. The owners could not be more helpful and friendly. This hotel is central in Torquay but offers a special tranquillity and luxury. We will endeavour to return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I stayed here with my mother and we both thought the staff and service were excellent. Breakfast was a pleasure. We also enjoyed the fine features of the lounge and dining room, and the lovely garden. Considering the good value and close proximity to the beach and town (both only minutes walk), all in all it was a splendid stay that we had.
Note that the swimming pool didn't appear to be in use but when in Torquay with the sea that wasn't one of our concerns.

Room Tip: I only wanted a small room so have no idea what the big rooms (overlooking the sea, away from road...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Large recently refurbished room, sofa a bit pink but comfortable. Good breakfast. Stay made by hosts Lou & Martin in the bar who Made a dull bank holiday weekend into a fantastic time. Keep up the DJing Martin! Excellent stay, looking forward to coming back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The Allerdale Hotel is a lovely building and the price was very reasonable for the week, but there are a few reasons why we wouldn't come back.

Arrived at the hotel about 12.15pm and our room was ready as I had already advised Louise that we would be leaving quite early in the morning, settled the balance of my bill and was given the room keys. We had Room 19, which is a family room (double and 2 singles) on the 2nd floor. The room was clean and comfortable, if a bit dated, I noticed that the carpet was quite worn and threadbare and to me looked like it hadn't been vacuumed. There was a full length mirror on the wall and that looked like it hadn't been wiped, as there were fingerprints over it. The en-suite was clean (had the same worn carpet in though). I didn't like the shower at all. It is over the bath and connected directly to the taps, (which is fine, as ours is like this at home), but I didn't like the fact that the shower head is fixed to the wall, and was definitely not installed with tall people in mind (my husband is 6' 2"). The rooms have tea/coffee making facilities and a TV with freeview box (ours was a really old TV). There was no alarm clock in the room, so we bought one from a shop in town. The cleaner came in and made the beds every morning, emptied the bins etc. Our towels were changed half way through the week. There was blu tac on the door lock to stop the catch from dropping down and us getting locked out and was told that a locksmith would be called out to fix it, which was fine and I didn't have a problem, but I did wonder how many guests have been told this and whether it will actually get fixed.

Evening meal:- we had decided to have Evening meal a couple of nights during the week, but had only paid for B&B, so I rang Louise a couple weeks before our arrival date, as it said on my confirmation letter to let them know in advance if Evening Meal is required on your arrival date. I asked Louise to book us in for the Saturday we arrived, but she said this was not possible as Saturday was the chef's night off, but the Sunday wouldn't be a problem, so I said ok and left it at that. On arrival I reminded Louise about Evening Meal on the Sunday and she said they couldn't do it, as it was the chef's weekend off (if he even exists!) I felt let down and got the impression that they didn't want us to eat there or cook for us. She insisted that the Monday wouldn't be a problem and told me that she was trying to contact the chef on his mobile, but I told her not to bother though. All a bit unprofessional in my opinion. The waitress at breakfast on Monday morning did show us the evening menu, it did look nice I have to admit, but we said we were eating out instead (we did all week), as I was annoyed at being let down.

They have a bar in the basement, which is nice and cosy, once you get used to the damp/musty smell down there. Louise and Martin were very hospitable towards us and the kids and are happy to keep serving you drinks pretty much as long as you want. The bar has a dancefloor and they play music, but it's only at background level, but sounded good. They don't offer any entertainment, so if you've got young children like us, then you're a bit limited, so most nights we were down in the bar it was just us. So I feel the bar is wasted and has a dancefloor that doesn't get used. There isn't a TV in the bar either.

On the ground floor there is a nice, large sitting room where you can relax. The owners don't mind you taking a laptop in there, as I did on couple of occasions. There is Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, but our signal was much better on the ground floor. There isn't a TV in the sitting room.

The breakfast on the whole was nice, you have a choice of about 4 cereals, orange juice, grapefruit segments, cooked breakfast (they very kindly done sausage or bacon sandwiches for my kids), they will do poached or scrambled eggs on request, you get toast and tea/coffee. The 2 waitress are very polite and attentive, although I did feel sometimes that the plates were taken away far too quickly. I wasn't too keen on the sausages, as they were the cheap skinny ones and on a couple of occasions they didn't taste very fresh.

Despite the niggles mentioned, especially regarding the evening meal and the feeling that certain things were done "on the cheap", I enjoyed my week and Torquay is a lovely place, but will be choosing a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family