“Atlantis Apartments Torquay”

Atlantis Holiday Apartments
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Atlantis Apartments Torquay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

Just returned from a week's stay at the Atlantis and already planning a return visit. Greeted on arrival by Pauline and shown around our apartment (3) which was immaculate with great facilities . We stayed with our two young sons (2 year old and one year old) and felt completely at home, Pauline kindly provided both a travel cot and a highchair for our stay. Made plenty of use of the heated pool, a big hit with our boys! Location was brilliant, Torquay in easy walking distance and plenty to see and do. Pauline recommended a lovely, very family friendly pub with great food, the Chelston Manor. Thank you for a fabulous stay, this was our first visit but we will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
AtlantisTorquay, Owner at Atlantis Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay at Atlantis and we look forward to seeing you all again next year.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

We booked Atlantis (Apartment 1) for Jubilee week to coincide with a family gathering. As soon as we pulled up Pauline greeted us and showed my husband around. We are used to going to self catering places (usually farms) and the familiarisation session was thorough. The apartment is down a ramp in the basement (note: low ceilings) and consists of 3 areas (large bedroom, lounge/kitchen, bathroom/wetroom area).

I'm a wheelchair user with very limited mobility, use an electric chair and assistance from my husband for manual transfers and personal care etc. This is relevant in that for personal hygiene reasons it would have been good to have a toilet and shower that didn't rely on a pump system. (Pump toilets barely take toilet paper never mind anything like toilet wet wipes). We felt this should have been in the brochure to aid disabled people in considering if they can manage with such a system or not. Pauline quickly sorted out a problem with it which we found on arrival.

The grab rails by the toilet are hand painted, grooved sort which felt 'sticky' to hold onto - rarely come across this set up in places.

The place was very clean and tidy and the kitchen looked well equipped although we ate out most of the time / made sandwiches.

The second thing that felt a bit strange was having no door between the bedroom and the living space - the 'door' was a good size though and getting around was easy.

I have difficulty with posture and pain when going to bed and took my pressure mattress to put on top of the bed which was a good combination and, aside from some light entering the room in the morning I slept well - lovely and quiet.

I never head the 'anti cat/young person' device going off at all that some people hear!!

I think the key thing that would put us off returning was that we had no control over the heating as this is controlled in the main house. Pauline said we could go up and ask for it to be turned on when we needed it - but that didn't feel right somehow and the output from the radiators didn't seem to warm the open plan environment. You expect to have some control over the heating of the place you stay?

Loved the free wifi, book and DVD selection and you could use the computer in the main building if you needed to.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Atlantis.
We are sorry you had problems whilst staying. Unfortunately a Saniflo toilet is the only type that can be used in that particular apartment and we discourage guests from flushing wet wipes etc in all the toilets as they can cause blockages. We have now put these details on our website.

The grab rails are painted black to aid our visually impaired guests and we have made it open plan to aid wheelchair users.

I was surprised that you had a problem with the heating as it was on every day even though it was June. Morning 6am until 10am and late afternoon until 11pm. I always ask guests to let us know if they need it on during the day in the Summer months if they are in and we can alter the timers.

We would have welcomed the chance to rectify any problems you had during your stay had we been made aware of them at the time.

All the radiators have thermostaic controls on them and can be adjusted by the guests and if they were not getting hot enough it may simply have been a matter of 'bleeding' them.

We note that you enjoyed your holiday in Torquay and found some nice places to visit and eat.
Manchester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed over the Jubilee weekend and had the small studio apartment. For two of us for a long weekend, this was great. We had a warm welcome from Pauline when we arrived who explained all the facilities - I was amazed what the appartment had, how clean it was and well maintained. Attention to detail was superb.

I have to admit, I am not really a fan of wet-rooms - remind me a bit of student halls of residence and I always forget and get my socks wet, but agian, not a huge problem over the weekend - there's of course a good stock of utensils and gadgets for drying the room out too, so I can't fault it for that.

The pool was excelent and really enjoyed it - had it to ourselves for the most part too.

There was no problem with parking either, plenty on site and even on the street. A bit of a walk to town, but quite enjoyable and helped us walk dinner off when we went out.

The anti-cat device, I have to say, I could hear it when I arrived - after a long drive down from Manchester I had totally forgot I had read the review calling it a teenager dispersal device. So kept hearing this noise as I unloaded the car, I honestly thought it was just a bird tweeting. Later on I realised it was still going and a regular sound and figured it out. Didn't bother me in the slightest, I'd certainly have asked Pauline if it had - my girlfriend on the other hand couldn't hear it in the slightest and we played a hearing test game with it! I wouldn't let it put you off.

Being in a self-contained flat, other than exchanging pleasant hello's to other reisidents and chatting to Pauline when we saw her, we kept pretty much to ourselves. I didn't really feel I was being watched or anything and dont really share the concerns of previous reviews.

Would love to come back at some point, already reccomended to other people!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at Atlantis Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you for the lovely review. We try hard to maintain our standards and appreciate your comments. We hope you visit us again in the near future. Pauline
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

We stayed at the Atlantis apartments for 4 nights in April 2012. We found the apartment to be very clean and well furnished with TV/DVD and Ipod docking stations in each room. There was free wi-fi as well. The kitchen was very practical and had all necessary utensils and fixtures. There were plenty of plug points which we think was very well thought of. The covered, heated pool was clean and well maintained.
We found the beds to be very comfortable.
On our arrival we were greeted by Pauline who was very friendly and ready to help with any questions we had. The location was very good and most of the attractions were very close by.
We have already recommended the place to many of our friends and would definitely stay again in the future. Thankyou Pauline.

, Owner at Atlantis Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your short break with us and the apartment was to your liking. We received 100% for cleanliness when we had our Visit England inspection recently. We hope to see you again soon.
Nottingham. UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

The Apartments are absolutely fantastic. We were lucky enough in that Pauline and John have signed up with THHN.
We have a 12 year old disabled son, who cannot walk. The facilities at Atlantis were spot on for wheelchair users.
Pauline and John are fabulous hosts and nothing was too much trouble.
The Apartments have everything you could possibly need for a holiday, also the location was central to everything we needed.
I would certainly recommend Atlantis Apartments to anyone who was thinking of the Torbay region in Devon.
Thank you once again for a Fabulous few days in Devon.

, Owner at Atlantis Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you have fond memories of your time here in Torquay.
Rothenburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Lovely and clean with everything we needed. Pool was fantastic the boys really enjoyed that! The only thing I would say (not a complaint) is there was no grill/oven it was a microwave, I struggled with the microwave even though it was a fab combination one I am rubbish with technology. I still enjoyed our week in the apartment thank you.

Room Tip: Apartment 3 was very good quiet and spacious.