“You get what you pay for”

Clifton Grove Hotel
Clifton Grove Hotel
Ranked #109 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Torquay, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I got a very cheap deal on late rooms. I was disappointed to see a small bit off mould by the sink and a sizeable dent in the door where somebody had slammed the door too fast into the shelf. A bit of an issue regarding the breakfast and if I had paid or not (in the end I slept through it).

Nice clean towels, tea and iron supplied, shower room was a bit basic, very quiet and tucked away from the town centre. Also very reasonable priced.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul25101953

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Booking a last minute trip to Torquay this came up as the cheapest.

The outside looked a little tired but the welcome made up for this. The room was small (twin bed)but had a small TV and drinks making area with coffee and tea. The towels were spotless and changed twice on a 3night stay!

The area is great for a short walk into Torquay but if you have problems on your feet it maybe too much due to a steep hill. If booking ask for a ground floor room if problems with stairs as most rooms are up stairs.
Most landings appear to have a toilet but the one shower room near the reception area did the job well on my stay but this would be very busy if the hotel was full.

Please note parking could be a problem in peak season as its on the roadside.

I did not arrange breakfast so could not comment on this.

For a traveller on a budget I would highly recommend this hotel close to Torquay harbour front!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RobH549
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for just one night, but if we ever go back to Torquay we would definitely try to book this hotel again. We had an en-suite room which was fresh and clean and cosy. Bathroom was spotless and linen smelt freshly laundered. We wanted a room near Torquay and was surprised to find this was just a 10 minute walk right to the harbour! It was in a quiet location and although didn't have parking, there was ample room near by. For a place to clean up and have a cosy night's sleep, this hotel ticked all our boxes. We normally just leave quietly, but my Greek husband and I even ended up chatting with the owner for almost an hour when we checked out.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My friend, I and my little girl stayed for one night at the end of october.
My friend stayed in a single room with a shared bathroom and we stayed in the family room.
Both rooms were clean and had all the required essentials.
The family room was on the top floor, which was a bit of a challenge with all the luggage as well as trying to carry the baby up there, but we managed in the end. The room was very spacious and had its own little toilet and shower.
The hotel was really quiet and it felt like we were the only people there.
Breakfast was served between 8-9. It was £5 per person and was a standard breakfast with cereal and full english.
We had very pleasent stay and the hotel owner made us feel very welcome. My little girl loved Scooby the sausage dog and had a great time feeding him my breakfast.
The only criticism I had was that the radiator in the room was behind the wardrobe and was not actually turned on, so it was rather chilly in the room. Otherwise we had a great stay and it was very good value for money. We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Stayed a couple of Nights in October 2012, double en-suite room.
Hotel was good value for money.
Hotel was clean and room was bright and comfortable.
Owner was friendly and helpful.
Only short walking distance to marina but uphill from marina to hotel so location needs to be took in to account if you have mobility problems, although using a taxi or bus an option and only takes a couple of minutes.
Hotel is only approx a 20 minute walk from Railway station,which is a very pleasant walk along the sea front.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2011

The room was clean, and well set out, and also nicely furnished. Owner was friendly and polite and made us feel welcome. Toilet/shower was a bit small but usable. There was limited parking outside the front, however there was street parking further along the road. All in all, good value for money, nice atmosphere, and in a nice location on the outskirts of torquay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jason W
SE London
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Basic but clean, don't expect frills or contemporary furnishings, (it's very 1970's set decor) and not all rooms are en-suite. However the manager and his wife seemed very friendly, it's very quiet, and in a nice part of town within short walking distance to the main "hub" of Torquay (I say hub, there's really not much going on...)

This is probably a 4-star stay but the beds were a little hard and the facilities were on the very basic side. That said, without question recommended if you're looking for a cheap, convenient stay for a night or two.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends