“quality accomodation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
The Morningside Hotel
Ranked #52 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed 6/6/14 - 9/6/14 for the third time. Excellent accomodation, top class breakfasts looking out over Lyme Bay and lovely hosts ensures that I and my family will return time and again when visiting Babbacombe.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank bluenanny_12

Reviewed 6 May 2014

What a wonderful hotel right on the sea front. We stayed from Thursday until Sunday attending a weddings here on Saturday 5th may 2014, the rooms were comfortable and well appointed with tea and coffee facilities in the room and some having rooms overlooking the sea. The staff were all very pleasant and nothing was too much trouble. We had bed and breakfast and the food was spot on, serving cereal, full English as well as fruit juices, tea and coffee. I would like to say a big thank you to John Paul for making our stay pleasant and enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We have stayed at The Morningside on a previous occasion and could not fault the Hotel, however having booked a sea view room via The Morningside Website on 28th February 2014 for one nights stay on 3rd May 2014, and having this booking confirmed by e-mail, some weeks later I had reason to phone the hotel direct because the deposit had not been debited from my account and I was informed by the hotel that they had not "got around" to doing it yet. I was asked whether I was part of a wedding party and informed them that I was not.
Today I looked on their website to see if there was a vacancy for 4th May, with a view to staying an extra night, and as the indication was that a vacant sea view room was available I telephoned the hotel mid morning with a view to extending our stay.
To my surprise I was informed that there was a wedding party in residence on this weekend and the party had booked the whole hotel. Thank goodness I had made contact or I would have driven 150 miles to find no accommodation.
I have just checked the website(1830hrs) and it is still indicating accommodation available.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobCardiff
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Just returned from a weekend stay celebrating a family birthday. We all had a fantastic time. The food was excellent as was the accommodation. The hotel is really lovely, warm and homely and very clean. All the staff were extremely friendly and attentive. Child friendly too. Thank you John Paul for looking after us all so well and for catering to all our requirements. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Debbie C
Reviewed 23 September 2013

If you are looking for a hotel that is allways lively with seaside evening entertainment,then this is not the place for you.On the other hand if you want a peacefull relaxing break,with a great breakfast where quality products are used,then book here.I arrived at 8:00pm,greeted warmly and shown to my single room.On inspection it was spotlessly clean and warm,with plenty of hot water.How I sleep is how I rate the comfort of a bed,needless to say I slept soundly for seven nights.After a walk along the downs,i went into the lovely dining room,with fabulous views,and thoroughly enjoyed a top quality English breakfast,which was consistent all week.This is a family run establishment and everybody was kindness itself.Yes it does need a lick of paint here and there but value for money most certainly. If you do stay there don't forget to use the conservatory café,good food,good service and spectacular views.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view,however if you are a single traveller as I am,it is unlikely you would be allocat...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Set in a perfect location, first impressions of this hotel were very good and it was obvious that money had recently been spent on improvements to the exterior and ground floor rooms. Unfortunately, when going upstairs, it was equally obvious that the funds had run dry and no effort had been put into room renovations. Musty smell, mouldy grouting in bathroom, rubbish in drawers and under bed, towels that we hung on radiators to dry were covered in rust marks. Naturally, we don’t go on holiday to stay in the room, but for the room to be in such a state that we dreaded to go back to it speaks volumes. Reading the previous reviews, perhaps we were allocated the only room not yet to be refurbished, but it is what it is and this review is based on my experience. Staff were good, most of the operations seem to be managed by a young man, a one and band who operated very effectively.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at the Morningside Hotel with our 13 year old son. Firstly we were very pleased to have a room with a double and a full size single bed. Often family rooms just have a pull out bed which for older children/teenagers aren't big enough, so this was just perfect.
The hotel was quiet, the beds were comfortable and a good sleep was had by all!

The breakfast was super and the staff were really helpful and obliging, excellent service - and what a view from the dining room - Spectacular.

We also had lunch when we arrived in the hotel's conservatory cafe, my husband and I had a ploughman's and my son had a BLT sandwich. All 3 meals were presented really nicely and tasted delicious, it felt like some effort had gone into them.

We found all the staff to be polite and pleasant. I particularly liked that the gentleman on reception would remember a conversation we'd had or an activity we'd had planned the previous day and would ask how it went, which made me feel that he had really listened and was interested in our experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family