“Another wonderful stay”

Ranked #95 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
SHREWSBURY
“Another wonderful stay”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Going to a place I love (Torquay) means that everything has to be right, otherwise it spoils the whole time away. So returning to the Abberley is a must. When you arrive you are treated like an old friend, the kettles on, and you just feel at home.

During my previous four stays here, I have got to know Jackie and Dave well. As I also know some other former Guest House owners in the town, I can tell you just how hard they work to provide us with value for money we expect. So well done to them.

Breakfast is just amazing, and every day I set off on my "jaunts" full fuelled. (I joked that returning to the gym following my stay would be hard work).

The place is spotless. Credit to owners.

I would recommend the Abberley to anyone. I'm a football fan and my friends and I were recommended this place as its nearest the ground. I'm so glad we stayed here, and my repeat visits prove its quality.

It's location - a five minute walk from Babbacombe and Plainmoor, mean that your not to far from the main bus routes (believe actually a 65 now runs past the Abberley during the day). So avoiding the walk back up the hill is easy for those who don't want the challenge of Torquay's topography.

As a real ale fan, being not far not just from the Buccaneer but also the Crown and Sceptre in St Marychurch is just cracking.

All in all, a wonderful guest house that I so enjoying staying at, and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Always ask when booking about the room you will be staying in.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Me & my friend have recently returned from a 4 night stay at Abberley Guest House. After reading so many good reviews I believed I was in for a warm welcome & hassle free stay, when infact I can honestly say that I had an unpleasant encounter with the owner of this guest house daily, putting a downer on every.single.day of my stay. I got the distinct impression that we were expected to be trouble from the moment we stepped in the door, maybe because me & my friend are both in our early twenties, I don't know, but regardless of our age or appearance I expect to be treated the same as any other paying guest.
The morning after our first night, we had slept in after a long early morning train journey the day before followed by a late night. When we were leaving the guest house to explore the town the next morning we could hear the lady rushing down the stairs to catch us in time to make a remark about what time we had got up, "oh so you do surface then girls" . Frankly I do not want to be criticised about what time I sleep in till when on holiday!!

The first night of our stay my friend bought a subway which she ate on the way home from a night out leaving the wrapper in our bin in the room. The next day we were told in no uncertain terms we were not allowed food in our room... which, granted, is my fault for not reading our terms & conditions more thoroughly but after an 8 hour train journey I was keen to just get into our room & relax, but the manner which we were spoken to was completely unnecessary. After finding this sandwich wrapper in our bin, we were then abruptly asked "and what is that stain all over the carpet?"...which seems very bizarre as nothing had been spilt on the carpet whatsoever. Apparently the worst of this stain had been removed, but the owner suspected it was "that fake tan you youngsters wear" which neither of us actually use, or "perhaps coffee" which neither of us drank, to settling on "some sort of beauty product you youngsters use".... The most we could see on this carpet was a tiny speck of dirt...short of making guests take their shoes off at the front door I see little else that can be done about tiny marks on cream carpets.

The reason for our stay was that a friend of ours was getting married locally. The night before the wedding we chose to stay in & have an early night. We were sat in bed talking amongst ourselves, and I stress not shouting across the room to one another, not shrieking and hollering, when in conversation one of us swore. Next thing, there is knocking at the door, the lady complaining "she can hear our bad language downstairs & to keep the noise down". To be fair she probably could hear our conversation as the walls were that paper thin neither of us could get a decent nights sleep due to traffic or hearing other guests moving around or speaking, but in the privacy of a room we have paid for I expect to be able to talk (using whatever language I please!) & watch tv at 9.30pm without being reprimanded and spoken to as if I was troublesome 15 year old!!

When booking the hotel I was aware it wasn't right in the town centre, I did expect a 10 minute walk. However, I did not anticipate this to be up and down a very steep hill. With shopping bags or after a couple of drinks it was a no go so the amount spent in taxis I feel would have been better used paying the extra to stay somewhere more central.

To give Abberley it's credit it did seem very clean (to the point where specks of dirt cause uproar on the carpet apparently). Although, there were at least 2 occasions were the owners had been in are made our beds, but not taken away or replaced any used towels or supplying any fresh glasses.

I understand that whereas some people find it friendly that the owners take interest in their guests comings & goings, but personally I would rather go about my business privately. I have never had to take photos of a room I've stayed in, to prove there was infact no stains on the carpet before. I was uncomfortable the duration of our stay. I do work in hospitality myself, & I can honestly say I was appalled at the way we were spoken to on numerous occasions. NEVER again.

Room Tip: Away from the road, the walls are paper thin!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Abberley_Torquay, Owner at Abberley Guest House, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
We are a small family run guest house, and our other reviews say how friendly and helpful we are and they come from all age groups.
I could understand the comment ‘worst hospitality ever’ if you were dumped in your room, it was dirty, bedding and towels not clean, and I ignored you every time I saw you; but I did not. You were treated like all our other guests. I greeted you at the door, offered a drink, gave you written notes how to get to Babbacombe and Torquay. I explained about the local eating places, one of which you tried. I showed you the leaflets, where you expressed an interest in Pennywell Farm. I showed you to your room, and said if there was anything else you needed, to please let me know. On the day before the wedding I asked if there was anything you needed to help you get ready and you said your friend might need an iron.
Coming down the stairs from the floor above just as you happened to be going out in the afternoon, I said ‘Oh you do surface then’ but this was said in jest as I sometimes do to my own family and friends.
I asked politely if you knew what the stain was as something had been dripped on the carpet at the end of one of the beds. I did explain it would have given me an opportunity to ask other guest house owners if they had any advice for removing marks of that type as I had struggled to get it out. Instead of struggling with it, I could have left the stain on the carpet and billed you £500 to replace it, Make-up, fake tan, and hair dye are a constant challenge getting it out of bedding, flooring and towels. If the stain had been all over the carpet as you allege I said, the whole carpet would have been damp as I would have had to tackle it with the carpet shampooer
As for noise from other guest, the house is over 100 years old and the walls are substantial masonry. Your room was over the lounge and on the first two nights you were with us, there was only one other guest, on the Friday there were two rooms occupied as singles on the same floor as you, and three rooms on the floor below.
Your room was cleaned all three days, whatever time you went out. The towels were changed on the second day and you gave no indication you wished the towels to be changed again. As there were three bottles left on the unit, I changed the glasses but left them next to the tea tray as there was not enough room left on the bathroom shelves.
As you walked straight out on the Sunday morning I was unable to apologise if you were disturbed in the early hours of that morning when we required an ambulance. The crew did a fantastic job getting the patient out quietly, but unfortunately we have no control over the engine left running or the noise the tail gate made. I apologised to the other five rooms of which two were at the front of the house like yours. None of them had heard a thing.
walsall
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Yet another excellent stay at this first class guest house so clean and run very well jackie does a stirling job she never stops you would go a long way to beat it try it you wont be dissapointed.By the way as jackie pointed out to me the breakfast are all grilled its up tp you how you have your eggs well done again you just get better.

Room Tip: ALL rooms are good.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. It was good to see you again.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

from the warm welcome at the door and high standards of housekeeping its the kind of place that makes you feel at home our stay at Abberley Guest House was a very positive and comfortable one ,I would highly recommend it

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. If our guests are happy, we are happy. We hope to see you again when you next come this way.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I feel a little ashamed that I haven't written a review of this excellent guest house before.
We have stayed at The Abberley Guest House many times over the years, and the first thing I must say is that the standard that Jackie has set has never diminished (if anything it has progressively improved) - it was brilliant the first time we stayed here years ago !
As previous reviewers have mentioned Jackie greets all of her guests with a welcoming cup of tea or coffee, a very personal touch that is always welcome to the travel weary. Another personal touch that she adds is her local knowledge, if you need any info about local transport, beaches, restaurants, pubs, theatres, trips, attractions Jackie can supply it (if she can't she'll have a leaflet that can !).
The cleanliness of the guest house is exceptional, each room is cleaned every day, towels changed regularly tea & coffee replenished during the day too.
The meals are terrific too, excellent breakfast - juice, fruit, choice of cereals, full english, toast, tea & coffee. All cooked breakfasts are cooked to YOUR specification, Jackie never assumes that you will want the same thing everyday. The same goes for children (ours are very fussy, but enjoyed a good breakfast every morning).
The same goes for evening meals should you want one, never had a duffer whilst staying at Abberley House, Jackie is an excellent cook.
All the rooms we have stayed in have been very comfortable. This year we had two rooms, both of which can be locked separately, but also have the advantage of a shared door that accessed the corridor - thus creating a family suite for want of a better description, very useful if with children, no having to open and close lots of doors.
I cannot fault this warm, friendly guest house, or, for that matter, recommend it highly enough. I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else whilst staying in the Babbacombe / Torquay area.
There are bigger (and better known) establishments that could learn a lot from Jackie and Abberley Guest House - needless to say (but I will) we will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. It's always a pleasure to see you and your family each time you come and we look forward to your next visit.
Bristol
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed here while on a walking holiday and greeted with a cup of tea and a warm welcome by landlady Jackie. Nothing was too much trouble - suggestions for the evening, a map and directions into town and probably the best breakfast of the 6 days we were on the coastal path. The Buccaneer pub on the seafront is a good place for a meal and pint. Well worth staying here - you won't find better.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments. We are glad the breakfast got you off to a good start for your day's walk.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

What a great place to stay. Where do I start?... from the minute we arrived, we were greeted by Jackie who offered us a drink and then had a chat with us in the lounge. Jackie was really easy to talk to and gave us lots of information on the local area, the best routes to take to local amenities or attractions and suggested restaurants that her previous guests had visited and enjoyed.
We were shown to our room (Room 2 on the ground floor) which was absolutely spotless and had tea/coffee making facilities, TV and en suite shower room. There was also a folder which had information about the guest house (general house rules, breakfast menu, evening meals and Devon attractions leaflets) We had pre-booked room & breakfast and the quality of the food was excellent. Full breakfast included; fresh fruit salad, a selection of good quality cereals, fresh orange juice and a full English with toast and a pot of tea/coffee. Home made 2 or 3 course evening meals are also available and Jackie makes them fresh to order each day. We had moussaka with fresh vegetables and jam roly-poly with custard, they were both beautifully cooked and only cost £18.00 for the 2 of us, so great value for money.
I noticed Jackie wearing white cotton gloves while setting the tables in the dining room and was very impressed that cleanliness was so important. How often do you see that - if ever in a B&B or Guesthouse?
Nothing is too much trouble - our lap top lead didn't quite reach far enough to be able to sit comfortably on the bed so we asked Jackie if there was an extension lead we could borrow and while we were out, an extension lead was set up in our room for our return.
We were even waved off as we left - those little things matter.

I am a very observant person and I can honestly say that Abberley Guest House totally blew me away. We have stayed at other B&B's and guesthouses before in Devon, Cornwall and Wales, but the standard of cleanliness and quality of food was nowhere near as good as Abberley Guest House.
Jackie - you do a wonderful job of looking after your guests. Keep up the good work and we hope to come and visit again soon. Thanks for looking after us so well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you. We appreciate your comments. We hope to see you again sometime.