“Excellent B+B”

Ranked #105 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Wales
“Excellent B+B”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from another fabulous stay at Abberley Guest House this is the fourth time now and myself and my wife cannot fault the place. As soon as you arrive you are warmly greeted by Jackie and offered a cup of tea and she's always genuinely interested in what you've been up to, the place is spotless the breakfast is excellent and an added bonus this visit the other people staying there were an absolute scream, can't wait for our next visit.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights . Jacky welcomed us with a cup of tea on arrival . Hospitallity was fantastic, breakfast was superb. Room exceptionally clean . We felt like we were at home..has to be one of the best B&B's we have stayed in & we have been all over the country. Can't praise Jacky & her daughter high enough.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at the Abberley when we came down for the Devon Pottery Collectors Meeting at St. Anne's Hall Babbacombe on Sunday 23rd February. Jackie was really helpful and kind - pot of tea on arrival, super breakfasts - and she is interested in the steam railways, as we are - in addition to the local Torquay pottery. We shall definitely be staying here when we come down for the next pottery meeting on 13th July - hopefully we'll stay longer this time too.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely, friendly place to stay, very convenient for all attractions. Jackie is a superwoman, seeing to our every need. When she found out that it was our 25th anniversary, she left a bottle of red wine, 2 glasses and flowers in our room, how kind.
Breakfast was really good.

• Stayed September 2013
Abberley_Torquay, Owner at Abberley Guest House, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased we were able to help make your 25th anniversary a pleasant visit.
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Just stayed at the Abberley and can honestly say a lovely place to stay. Our room was lovely and clean shower hot and a friendly welcome was made. We arrived late due to bad weather but a pot of tea welcomed us as soon as we arrived. The breakfast was superb beautifully cooked and we left with full bellies we will definitely be returning and strongly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your comments. We're glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again sometime.
SHREWSBURY
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Going to a place I love (Torquay) means that everything has to be right, otherwise it spoils the whole time away. So returning to the Abberley is a must. When you arrive you are treated like an old friend, the kettles on, and you just feel at home.

During my previous four stays here, I have got to know Jackie and Dave well. As I also know some other former Guest House owners in the town, I can tell you just how hard they work to provide us with value for money we expect. So well done to them.

Breakfast is just amazing, and every day I set off on my "jaunts" full fuelled. (I joked that returning to the gym following my stay would be hard work).

The place is spotless. Credit to owners.

I would recommend the Abberley to anyone. I'm a football fan and my friends and I were recommended this place as its nearest the ground. I'm so glad we stayed here, and my repeat visits prove its quality.

It's location - a five minute walk from Babbacombe and Plainmoor, mean that your not to far from the main bus routes (believe actually a 65 now runs past the Abberley during the day). So avoiding the walk back up the hill is easy for those who don't want the challenge of Torquay's topography.

As a real ale fan, being not far not just from the Buccaneer but also the Crown and Sceptre in St Marychurch is just cracking.

All in all, a wonderful guest house that I so enjoying staying at, and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Always ask when booking about the room you will be staying in.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Me & my friend have recently returned from a 4 night stay at Abberley Guest House. After reading so many good reviews I believed I was in for a warm welcome & hassle free stay, when infact I can honestly say that I had an unpleasant encounter with the owner of this guest house daily, putting a downer on every.single.day of my stay. I got the distinct impression that we were expected to be trouble from the moment we stepped in the door, maybe because me & my friend are both in our early twenties, I don't know, but regardless of our age or appearance I expect to be treated the same as any other paying guest.
The morning after our first night, we had slept in after a long early morning train journey the day before followed by a late night. When we were leaving the guest house to explore the town the next morning we could hear the lady rushing down the stairs to catch us in time to make a remark about what time we had got up, "oh so you do surface then girls" . Frankly I do not want to be criticised about what time I sleep in till when on holiday!!

The first night of our stay my friend bought a subway which she ate on the way home from a night out leaving the wrapper in our bin in the room. The next day we were told in no uncertain terms we were not allowed food in our room... which, granted, is my fault for not reading our terms & conditions more thoroughly but after an 8 hour train journey I was keen to just get into our room & relax, but the manner which we were spoken to was completely unnecessary. After finding this sandwich wrapper in our bin, we were then abruptly asked "and what is that stain all over the carpet?"...which seems very bizarre as nothing had been spilt on the carpet whatsoever. Apparently the worst of this stain had been removed, but the owner suspected it was "that fake tan you youngsters wear" which neither of us actually use, or "perhaps coffee" which neither of us drank, to settling on "some sort of beauty product you youngsters use".... The most we could see on this carpet was a tiny speck of dirt...short of making guests take their shoes off at the front door I see little else that can be done about tiny marks on cream carpets.

The reason for our stay was that a friend of ours was getting married locally. The night before the wedding we chose to stay in & have an early night. We were sat in bed talking amongst ourselves, and I stress not shouting across the room to one another, not shrieking and hollering, when in conversation one of us swore. Next thing, there is knocking at the door, the lady complaining "she can hear our bad language downstairs & to keep the noise down". To be fair she probably could hear our conversation as the walls were that paper thin neither of us could get a decent nights sleep due to traffic or hearing other guests moving around or speaking, but in the privacy of a room we have paid for I expect to be able to talk (using whatever language I please!) & watch tv at 9.30pm without being reprimanded and spoken to as if I was troublesome 15 year old!!

When booking the hotel I was aware it wasn't right in the town centre, I did expect a 10 minute walk. However, I did not anticipate this to be up and down a very steep hill. With shopping bags or after a couple of drinks it was a no go so the amount spent in taxis I feel would have been better used paying the extra to stay somewhere more central.

To give Abberley it's credit it did seem very clean (to the point where specks of dirt cause uproar on the carpet apparently). Although, there were at least 2 occasions were the owners had been in are made our beds, but not taken away or replaced any used towels or supplying any fresh glasses.

I understand that whereas some people find it friendly that the owners take interest in their guests comings & goings, but personally I would rather go about my business privately. I have never had to take photos of a room I've stayed in, to prove there was infact no stains on the carpet before. I was uncomfortable the duration of our stay. I do work in hospitality myself, & I can honestly say I was appalled at the way we were spoken to on numerous occasions. NEVER again.

Room Tip: Away from the road, the walls are paper thin!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
We are a small family run guest house, and our other reviews say how friendly and helpful we are and they come from all age groups.
I could understand the comment ‘worst hospitality ever’ if you were dumped in your room, it was dirty, bedding and towels not clean, and I ignored you every time I saw you; but I did not. You were treated like all our other guests. I greeted you at the door, offered a drink, gave you written notes how to get to Babbacombe and Torquay. I explained about the local eating places, one of which you tried. I showed you the leaflets, where you expressed an interest in Pennywell Farm. I showed you to your room, and said if there was anything else you needed, to please let me know. On the day before the wedding I asked if there was anything you needed to help you get ready and you said your friend might need an iron.
Coming down the stairs from the floor above just as you happened to be going out in the afternoon, I said ‘Oh you do surface then’ but this was said in jest as I sometimes do to my own family and friends.
I asked politely if you knew what the stain was as something had been dripped on the carpet at the end of one of the beds. I did explain it would have given me an opportunity to ask other guest house owners if they had any advice for removing marks of that type as I had struggled to get it out. Instead of struggling with it, I could have left the stain on the carpet and billed you £500 to replace it, Make-up, fake tan, and hair dye are a constant challenge getting it out of bedding, flooring and towels. If the stain had been all over the carpet as you allege I said, the whole carpet would have been damp as I would have had to tackle it with the carpet shampooer
As for noise from other guest, the house is over 100 years old and the walls are substantial masonry. Your room was over the lounge and on the first two nights you were with us, there was only one other guest, on the Friday there were two rooms occupied as singles on the same floor as you, and three rooms on the floor below.
Your room was cleaned all three days, whatever time you went out. The towels were changed on the second day and you gave no indication you wished the towels to be changed again. As there were three bottles left on the unit, I changed the glasses but left them next to the tea tray as there was not enough room left on the bathroom shelves.
As you walked straight out on the Sunday morning I was unable to apologise if you were disturbed in the early hours of that morning when we required an ambulance. The crew did a fantastic job getting the patient out quietly, but unfortunately we have no control over the engine left running or the noise the tail gate made. I apologised to the other five rooms of which two were at the front of the house like yours. None of them had heard a thing.