“2 Star Hotel, 5 Star Food!!”
Review of Frognel Hall Hotel

Frognel Hall Hotel
Frognel Hall Hotel
Ranked #53 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Lovely place to relax, nothing too much and THE FOOD...... It was FANTASTIC..... We have booked again for next July!

Room Tip: We were in Master Richards room, that was near the road, but its fairly quiet. We asked and were sh...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Frognel Hall Hotel

Reviewed 14 October 2011

Went with slight reservations due to one bad review which proved to be totally incorrect. We were pleasantly surprised. We received a very warm welcome in a quiet and tranquil setting, with relaxing gardens to explore. The beds were comfortable, the food great and the lounges warm and welcoming with pleasant entertainment. To top it all - GOOD PLUMBING TOO!!
The owners and staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful and did everything possible to enhance our stay. Can't wait to go back for one of the murder mystery breaks.

Room Tip: The "Butlers Room" was very comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I booked here at the last minute for a two night stay while my partner went hiking/camping locally.

I'm normally the type of girl who would prefer a bland white hotel, (I've worked for years in chain hotels and like the security that they offer when travelling alone) but I was very impressed with this hotel.

Ok so it is dated inside but it is very clean throughout and the staff are all wonderful. The owner/manager was always available and genuinely intersted in talking about what attractions I'd seen or visited and knows the area well enough to provide good advice. The map that I was given of reaching the harbour was very useful!

My bed was comfy (I had a twin room) and fully ensuite (just a shower, no space for a bath). I was sooooooo impressed by how quiet it was, although the windows aren't double glazed, there was no traffic noise and I barely heard the other guests. I was above the kitchen and could hear breakfast being prepared/cleared but it wan't early and I could probably have drowned out the noise if I'd fully shut the window.

Breakfast was quick, fresh and not too greasy. What more can you ask for?

The bar had a reasonably good range at a reasonable price and all the guests were friendly in the bar.

The crowning glory however, is certainly the location, a 10 minute walk from the stunning Torquay harbour and beaches. (I walk slow and still found it a comfortable 10 minutes down to the harbour) I didn't attempt walking back to the hotel as it is all uphill on the way back but a bus runs once an hour during the day and a taxi is only £3.50 or so coming back so well worth leaving the car in the car park.

I would most definately recommend it, even to a slightly squeamish single traveller like myself!

Room Tip: If you are in the housestaff rooms above the courtyard shut your window unless you're happy to b...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Fionajane84
Reviewed 7 August 2011

The Frognel Hall Hotel is quite honestly the most friendly & relaxing place to stay. we arrived about 2 hours early, but were greeted with a smile & taken to our room which had a lovely sea view. The hotel is on the edge of the town up a quiet lane, which is great if you want the best of both worlds. We went on some lovely trips, & the children dutifully came with us so long as we did the amusement arcades with them! It was all good fun, but to be able to leave the noise later on at night & go back to the hotel where a G&T & a beer & classic FM were waiting was lovely. The owners went out of there way to make our stay a happy one. The breakfast was far better than you would expect from a 2 star hotel, to be honest I would go as far as to say it's the best we have had, everything was cooked freshly & the quality of the ingredients was clear. We will definitely be going back & will recomend the hotel to our friends.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank arolwright
Reviewed 2 August 2011

fully enjoyed our stay at frognel hall, we were well looked after by all the staff .
goog surroundings and good menu at meal times .
always hot water for shower / bath .
big thank you to all

keith / wendy

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Hospitality excellent. Staff very friendly and helpful. The food was very good with a choice for breakfast and the evening meal. Location close to the shops and harbour. - nice steady walk down and the taxi back only costs £4.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank RodBuss
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Frognel Hall is a wonderful building, full of character and in a convenient but secluded location. The hotel owners and staff were welcoming without being intrusive and always went the extra mile to make sure we were comfortable. The food was good quality and well-cooked and, although the interior is gradually being updated, it did not in any way detract from what was a lovely family holiday - we were very sorry to leave!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family