“Relaxing Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #63 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Devon, United Kingdom
“Relaxing Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

Was looking for a dog friendly place to stay, part of my husbands birthday surprise to see red arrows, Good old fashion homely place to stay, room was large & comfortable, lovely garden, good breakfast, Stephen & Amanda very helpful & friendly gave good info on short cuts into town & dog walks. A lovely get away from it all place to stay, we did feel a little guilty having to ring bell for service in the bar when the owners were busy with dinner guest, apart from that worth a visit!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rainee7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bewdley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

This hotel feels more like a bed & breakfast. It is spacious, extremely quiet- I have had the most peaceful nights sleep consistently at this establishment than at ANY other hotel in my life! The hosts are very pleasant and very helpful.
This hotel is highly recommended but please be aware that the fixtures and fittings are, I'm afraid, all rather tired. The carpet in our room (Nanny's) was grubby and although the room were tidied every day; I did notice, however, that the same screwed- up paper remained near the desk for four days in a row. A trifle criticism considering the peacefulness and good service from the owners.
The bar is not attended to and one has to ring the bell near reception for service. This feels a little awkward especially when one learns that the owners are busy in the kitchen preparing evening meals. It just isn't comfortable to order and drink in the bar because one feels one is "troubling" the owners.\Don't mistake me- the owners do not make you feel this way at all- its just that one cannot help get the impression that they are a little too busy to serve at their own bar.
I would recommend this hotel but it does need work. It needs a fair bit of modernising to bring it up to top notch.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Monford
Polegate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

We have recently returned from our second extremely enjoyable weeks holiday at Frognel Hall Hotel.
Stephen and Amanda were once again fantastic hosts who do everything they can to ensure their guests have an enjoyable stay.
As with our previous stay our room was spotlessly clean with extremely comfortable beds.
Once again we chose to have dinner in the hotel as the food is of a very high standard with some truly memorable dishes, compliments and thanks to Aaron the chef.
Breafast was also first class.
Thank you Stephen and Amanda we thoroughly enjoyed our stay!
Eddie and Sue,Polegate East Sussex.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We have recently returned from a weeks holiday at Frognel Hall. The room was comfortable and well decorated. The resident owners, and their staff, were very helpful and efficient. The food was well prepared and of excellent quality. Well worth a visit.

David Funnell

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Eton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

My priorities in selecting a hotel for a flying first-time two-night visit to Torquay were to be lowest price (simply for accommodation), dog friendly, with parking, and ideally with a restaurant as I would prefer to eat-in on the evening of arrival. The exact location was relatively unimportant.

If I say that my stay was so agreeable that I changed plans and booked a third night you will know I liked the place!

The owners are in love with their house, built as a Victorian second home for a noble family and its entourage escaping to Torquay, it seems, from the winter cold of Shropshire. From the multitude of modern radiators I saw it should indeed be warm for modern visitors! The twenty-seven chimneys I counted was typical of the architecture of the period. A house of character.

It's located in what must have been and still is a very grand part of Torquay with lovely residential roads with splendid houses and wooded grounds with sea views, and yet is an easy ten minute walk downhill to the central Marina area and principal shops and passing one of the finest real-ale pubs anyone could delight in finding, The Hole in The Wall. Returning took longer - Torquay is very hilly. Taxis in the town were metered and a reasonably priced ride.

They describe their house as The Country House Hotel in Town. That's very appropriate. Quiet ambiance, peaceful wooded grounds, and unobtrusive hospitality. Having said unobtrusive let me say I found that nothing was too much trouble.

The evening meal I had was a delight and much the same price as I would have paid for three courses in the town. The breakfast menu was truly comprehensive with nice coffee. There wasn't kedgeree or black pudding but I am sure they would have conjured even those, such was their evident keenness to please. You name it, they offered it. And plenty too. If I heard any background music I think it was Radio 3!

Other guests included friends who were in Torquay for an event and younger couples who were plainly on holiday. I think this quiet hotel would suit most people. I viewed, externally, a couple of others I'd considered and was so pleased I chose Frognel Hall.

If I was visiting the area again I would not bother to look for anything "better". It ticked all the boxes and left the pleasantest recollections of satisfaction and value for money. It's listed 2 Star but I think it deserves a bit more, certainly for the civilised hospitality.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank stephenghc
Cullompton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Our hosts could not have been more accommodating, we stayed at the beginning of June for a family wedding. My entire family (13 of us) booked for two nights. As we required several family rooms, Stephen discussed with me suitability beforehand. Breakfast was excellent and the children were well catered for.

Room Tip: My two eldest had family rooms on the top floor which had been refurbished. Excellent views and ver...