All reviews stephen and amanda murder mystery look forward to our next visit an extensive breakfast menu superb holiday minute downhill walk enjoyable stay exceptional hosts torquay harbour both breakfast and dinner local produce lovely garden lovely warm welcome christmas break cooked to perfection tea or coffee large room
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

Ok its probably not the best hotel in torquay but the owners were so friendly and helpful it kinda made up for the dated appearance. I had a family room with my 2 small children..the room was very spacious and very clean and tidy with a superb view over torquay also very quiet area which was a bonus for getting the kids to sleep.
Breakfast was good and filling and speedy.
I would say could do with some modernising apart from that the kids and my self will leave with happy memories

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2018

I’d like to start by saying that I have submitted a good number of hotel reviews over the last few years, and while I may have reported the odd niggle, I’ve tried to be positive in each review. I don’t believe that I have ever left a “bad” review.

However, in this case, I’m going to have to make an exception.

We were a group of 16 golfers (all in our 50’s or more), and stayed at the Frognel Hall Guest House in May 2018. Most were sharing rooms, but there were a couple of single occupancies too. Our group were the only guests staying in the hotel.

The guest house is a very large Victorian building that had been a private home back in Victorian times.

It didn’t start too well, as when we arrived, the place was locked up tight, and we wondered if we’d gone to the wrong entrance. We hadn’t, and after ringing a bell we were greeted by the owner, who was very friendly and took us to the small reception. Check in was quick, and we were taken to our room.

The room itself was ok, but looked rather tired, but the bed linen at least looked clean and fresh. Our room had a bathroom with just a shower cubicle and toilet, and again it seemed very tired and in need of refurbishment. The small high window looked rotten with flaking paint and cobwebs.

After settling in, we headed off to the small bar. Only one of the draft beers was working, but there was a selection of canned beers. One of the party asked for a G&T and asked for the gin he could see on behind the bar (don’t know what it was called). He was told that he couldn’t have that one as it had been a present from the landlords cousin!

There is a small patio area which we used, but the iron chairs were filthy, leaving marks on many of our trousers.

Meals were interesting, with the owners clearly getting stressed, and I can only assume that they are not used to serving 16 guests in one go. The food itself was limited in choice at best bland. My main course was gammon, but actually appeared to be a large rasher of bacon served with new potatoes and veg. Others went for the chicken which was boiled and I was told also very bland. A small number of the group decided not to eat there the second night (despite having paid for it), and went into Town for something to eat.

Breakfast was actually ok, but service again seemed rather stressed. It was served from 08:30, but one of our group sat down at 08:10 and asked if he could have an orange juice. He was told that orange juice was served with breakfast, and that wasn’t served until 08:30. To be fair, we asked for an earlier breakfast the second day, and they were fine with this.

The owners had a girl helping out with serving meals, but the owner (Amanda) was telling her off in front of the guests (not very professional).

All in all, this is a very tired guest house that needs a huge amount of money invested in it. It felt as though the owners were just playing at being a guest house, with everything being done on a shoestring. I cannot see how this can possibly be viable as a business.

While we were there, it was often compared to Fawlty Towers, but this was unfair to Basil Fawlty!

I’m sorry if this review upsets the owners, Stephen and Amanda, but as a group, we’ve been doing our golf tour for 11 years, and Frognel Hall is by far the worst guest house we have stopped in. I really could not recommend it on any level.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Murty
Reviewed 28 May 2018

Oh dear, Stephen and Amanda (the proprietors) are lovely people, but they really need to spend a night in each of their rooms, using the showers etc. Then go and stay in other 3 and 4 star guest houses and hotels to see how they're run! In serious need of a refurb the whole place was a bit of throw back to the 60's. Our room though was fine, clean and comfy beds, but the shower was a work of enormous patience, and frequent variations of temperature. It has to be said that breakfast was the best bit, although everything was served, so you had to wait for your cereal, (going without was a quicker option), juices and tea or coffee. The evening meal ....... you're a ten minute downhill walk to town!

Stayed: May 2018
Reviewed 19 December 2017

We have visited here on more than one occasion on their famous Murder Mystery Weekends. This time the group performing the Murder Mystery were a different group who were very good but we missed the chat afterwards as the group finished and left. The rooms were all clean and the food was very good except for the pastry on the pie which seemed to taste as though it was old pastry and also it was very difficult to cut with a knife. Stephen and Amanda were good hosts. A good place to visit in Torquay and at a reasonably price.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Large room at top of the house was clean, bright and had amazing views. Very comfortable. House has a really warm feel and great character. Amanda was extremely kind and caring. Breakfast was amazing!

Room Tip: Best views at the top!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family