“Great holiday in all respects”
Review of TLH Carlton Hotel

TLH Carlton Hotel
Ranked #31 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Great holiday in all respects”
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Our second trip to this hotel and just as good as last year. Good food, good service and very comfortable accomodation. Evening entertainment was good and very varied. Superb facilities in all wether conditions with a very fine spa area if the days are poor weather wise, Nothing is too much trouble in this hotel and staff are always on hand if needed. Hope to return again in the future.

• Stayed April 2011
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2011
Many thanks for your review about your recent stay at the Carlton hotel and Spa.

We put a lot of time into training our staff and developing their customer service and it is great to read such positive comments about how the Carlton Team looked after you so well.

We look forward to welcoming you for your third trip very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2011

We stayed for a 2 night package with bed, breakfast and massage with three course evening meal on the first evening. The whole stay was very enjoyable and good value. All the staff were friendly and efficient and went out of their way to provide a meal for me as I've special dietary needs. The massage was just what the doctor ordered and we paid for a fish pedicure as an interesting extra. The swimming pools were clean and well monitored. We spoke to other visitors and one family were on their third visit since Christmas, which has to be positive. I think there will be a different atmosphere during the summer months when families with children visit which is good but I will probably want to stay during the quieter time- but I will be back.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor.

It is great to read that you had such a good stay and the great comments about the staff and facilities. I am pleased you were able to take advantage of the great Spa we have and treated yourself to some treatments.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2011

i'm going to start with the good stuff, if you want an honest appraisal of the room then click to see more. All the staff were excellent, the restaurant food was lovely and the facilities, ballrooms lounges etc. were top notch. The spa is wonderful and the indoor pool surprisingly large. Had the weather been better, sitting outside on the terrace or by the outdoor pool would have been glorious. It is close enough to shops and other entertainment venues should you wish to venture out but quite frankly everything you need is on site. Wireless Internet in all public rooms worked a treat but could have done with it in the room. Now for the bad stuff , despite the room having brand new windows, which worked a treat the rest of the room looked like a Blackpool B&B from the 70's, clean functional but definately in need of some TLC and the ensuite was small, had toilet paper stuffed in gaps to stop the bath side rattling and the shower stopped if too many people in the hotel had a shower at once. I didn't take a spirit level with me but am sure that the floor sloped such that we were sleeping with our heads lower than our feet. I have no doubt that the staff would have moved us had we complained but i'd rather be shown to an updated room in the first place. On the plus side it was very clean and the house staff did an excellent job of keeping things just so.

Room Tip: Go for the best room you can afford. Avoid 213
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2011
Thank you for your detailed review about the things you really enjoyed and I am pleased to read you had a great stay. I have also noted your comments about the room you stayed in.

We are constantly improving the standard of our rooms in order for them to meet guest expectations. In the past 12 months we have replaced all bedding and duvets, new pillows in every room, new beds, upgrading Televisions with freeview channels and flat screen TV’s and re decorated bedrooms. This replacement and decorating work is constantly on going and reviewed.

We ask all our guests to complete a comment card about their stay. One of the questions asks about the standard of bedroom accommodation. I am pleased to say that 86% of people in the past 3 months rated their bedroom as excellent or very good.

I apologise for the issues with your room and I hope that you will see we actively ask for feedback and listen to what our guests tell us to help us continually improve what we offer. You were also correct in saying that if you had mentioned the problems you encountered then the reception team would have moved your room and have done everything they could to ensure you had a comfortable room.

We hope to see you again in the future.
devon
Reviewed 5 April 2011

this was not our first dance holiday at T L H and it wont be the last. We had a very enjoyable week and as normal the staff were very helpful in every way, nothing was to much trouble.
very good value for the price,
.We went for the dancing holiday with the Taplins and it was the best dance break we have attended so far and will deffunatly return.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback about your recent dancing break at the Carlton Hotel.

It is great to read that you found the break good value and that my team looked after you so well.

We look forward to you returning again on another break soon.
Frimley Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We're Carlton hotel regulars - two visits already in 2011 with another scheduled in the coming months and plans to return next year!

As a family, we've been coming to TLH for almost 10 years now - it's the perfect base to enjoy our favourite stretch of Devonshire coastline, with a great location close to the beach and the centre of Torquay and a great mix of facilities.

Why do love it so much? the staff are friendly, welcoming and highly attentive, we enjoy the food and the eating experience (especially the breakfast buffet!), the entertainment is light hearted and inoffensive and there is plenty to do! Whether relaxing in the spa and enjoying the facilities, or partaking in a more active mix of games and sports and that is just within the hotel complex! There is so much to see and do in the wider area to keep all ages amused.

Some of the accomodation could do with a minor fix - a lick of paint here or squeaky floorboard there but such a minor detail in the grand scheme of things.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Many thanks for your review of your stay at the Carlton Hotel and Spa.

As regular guests I am pleased to read that you find so much to do every time you visit, not only on the complex but also in the local area.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2011

we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! the food was fab and the spa was amazing! would definately recommend to friends and family and already planning a return visit!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am glad you enjoyed your break and you will be returning to us again.

It is very rare to see any review posting negative feedback about our team as we focus on customer service as one of our core objectives. We are proud to say that we have just been awarded a National Training Award for our standards of customer service and training. If there was any particular incident with a member of the waiting team you would like to discuss, please feel free to contact me directly at the Hotel.
Lancaster
Reviewed 21 March 2011

After a colleague told me about the facilities available in this particular hotel me and my colleague jumped at the chance to stay over on a recent 3 night business stay in Torquay. Being a experienced bowler I took full advantage of the fantastic in door green with which I can only praise. The service in the restaurant/reception and my room were also first class. As well as the bowling I had learned that the hotel had a fantastic swimming pool and a small but good quality gym which after seeing briefly the night before was really looking forward to relaxing in. On my second day I headed down to the pool and gym (quite a maze and poorly signed) as I arrived at the reception it took me around 5-10 minutes to get noticed while the receptionists openly chatted on the far side, one even glanced at me on more than one occasion but still left me and another frustrated guest waiting. When I finally got attended to I found out that the gym had a £4 charge, which I had no qualms with but when I went into the gym I found it poorly lit, no music, half the machines were out of order and to top it off when I asked the reception if someone could show me how to use the machines I was told quite frankly that there were no gym staff available and I could sign up for am induction in 3 hours time. Obviously I was not willing to stay in the gym for 3 hours! So I had paid £4 and not been able to use any machines, until a friendly local fellow set me up on a crosstraining station. He also let me know that it was a regular occurrence and it is almost impossible to get a member of staff to help even though they charge a premium price for the area. After I had been in the gym I headed to the fantastic pool I had seen through the window the night before. Once I came out of the very dingy smelly changing rooms I realised that seeing the pool close up was rather different than from 10 feet above. The main pool was fantastic but the area around the pool was very tatty with many tiles missing and very dirty looking showers and tiles. The smaller pool was also very nice once in the water but the poolside was also very dirty looking and even rusty drain covers in places. The brochure had also mentioned a luxury steam room, sauna and whirlpool jacuzzi which could not have been further from the truth! all three looked at the very least 20 years old and far from luxury! They were all small, broken in places and looked quite dangerous! All in all it wasn't a bad experience I just felt a little let down by the leisure facilities.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed the Hotel, service and Bowling facilities we offer.

I was disappointed to read your feedback on our Pool and gym facilities and apologise if you felt let down by them.

As you mention the Aztec Gym is a great facility with state of the art fitness equipment. We carry out weekly tests on the machines to ensure they are working and any faults are reported to the equipment contractors. I have had a look today at all the equipment and cannot see any current faults, however, if you would like to contact me at the hotel with any specific details I will look into this.

The Gym has over 1300 members plus hotel guests and during busy operational times the staff are not always available for walk in inductions. The team try very hard to accommodate requests at short notice, but during busy times with life guarding and pre booked inductions this is not always possible. I am sorry about this not being available for you and the way in which it was handled.

We want to provide our guests with the best facilities and service and we are continually investing into the leisure area. So far this year we have upgraded the outdoor pool area, re fit the sauna with new wood seating and re decorated the Aztec pool areas and Jacuzzi. This week we are currently re grouting our shower areas and repairing the tiles you highlighted in your report. I hope this reassures you that when things do break or are damaged we do take action to rectify them as soon as possible.

We ask all our guests to complete a comment card and behind staff service and food the leisure facilities is ranked one of the best things about TLH.

I apologise once again for your disappointment and assure you that we always listen to our guest feedback and take action to continuously improve what we offer.

I hope you will visit us again in the future, if you would like to discuss any matter further with me please do not hesitate to contact me at the Hotel.