“What a tired old place”

Ranked #30 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Bristol, United Kingdom
“What a tired old place”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I know that these reports are very subjective but this place really is tired in the extreme.
The reception staff are friendly and effiicine tbut that's where the compliments end I am afraid. On stepping into the lift, one is given an insight into just how tried this place really is. The floor is filthy, the doors are inscribed - and the journey to the second flloor - which barely accomodates two people with luggage takes what seemed an eternity.

The carpets on the stairs are threadbare and the wall paper thorught the public areas is damaged and tatty. Lighting is poor.

Our bedroom was a triple, tucked away in a corner of the second floor. The widow opened on to a car aprking area which seemed more at home in an East Berllin movie - I expected Matt Damon to burst in through the window at any moment.

The furniture was similar but didn't match and the small 12 inch portable TV had first been watched by Noah who must alsoi have been left underwhelmed at the number of channels on offer. The bathroom was adeqaute although the shower produced little more than a trickle. The hand - towels were the size of tea towels and the bath-sheets were a joke. The room was overpoweringly warm.

The dinners we had were unimaginative and poorly cooked. On the first evening I had plaice which had been cremated inside breadcrumbs and then re-heated. Braekfats were a pathetic affair unless you like motorway greasy spoons. The offer of stewed prunes and grapefruit lacked all imagination and it would have been too 21st Century I guess to have offered cranberry, pomegranite or tomato juice.

My wife and I havce been to this "hotel" twice in the past year with organised parties - we wouldnt ever go there on our own - there are far too many competitors who try and work harder for my money.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a good room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank markannzac
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Carlton Hotel.

You are quite right in saying that reviews on trip advisor are subjective and everyone has different expectations about what they want from a hotel. On the whole our reviews on trip advisor are very positive about the Hotel, spa and facilities. Last week we had our annual undercover visit from the Hotel Inspector from enjoy England for our grading, I am really pleased to say that we were graded as a high 3 star hotel, which is fantastic.

The visit looked at things like quality of furniture and fixtures and fittings and overall he was impressed at the quality of furniture provided and general décor of the hotel and our bedrooms.

I do acknowledge some re decoration is required in one of our public corridors and this is scheduled for being improved, given we are open all year around, works which take out the use of public corridors do have to be carefully scheduled so as not to cause disruption. We have an ongoing upgrade programme and I am pleased to say that items like TV’s are currently being upgraded with flat screens with full freeview channels.

The lift at the Carlton is not the most high tech or spacious lift, but it is extremely reliable, serviced monthly and well maintained to ensure our guests have full lift access to all areas of the hotel, even if it is a little worn around the edges.

The food and service at the Carlton always score extremely highly on our guest comment cards. Our aim is to provide a good home cooked meal of 3 star standard that meets our guests tastes and expectations. I am pleased to say that last year 87% of guests rated food quality as excellent, which is higher than the previous year.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay, but I do appreciate and understand that we will not suit everyone’s tastes, needs and requirements. I am proud to say that we are a family run hotel and have been in operation for over 50 years. During this time we have built up a business with a great reputation and have worked extremely hard to provide excellent customer service, great facilities and value for money. Again from comment card results last year 94% of guests said they would return to us again.

We always listen to guest feedback and take it on board in order to continually improve what we offer. I thank you once again from bringing your feedback and point of view to my attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
UK
Reviewed 3 February 2012

good holiday like visiting old friends whenever you go, decor a bit faded but they are working ot make improvements year on year. Be prepared to go to other hotels on Sunday evenings for a drink as they quite often use bars in hotel for private functions and you have to go to one of other hotels for entertainment, all the staff are very friendly and do their best to ensure you have a good holiday

Room Tip: all rooms seem reasonable I suggest you ask not to sleep directly above kitchen / dining room as sou...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Carlton hotel.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay with your Bowls group.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.
caerleon
Reviewed 28 January 2012

wehad a lovely break at the carlton.The food accommodation and facilities were excellent. Only one criticism - The pool area was not adequately supervised because children were allowed to mess around in and out of the steam room spoiling it for adults who wanted to enjoy it. Obviously parents cannot be relied upon to look after their own children properly so you need to have an extra member of staff to police kids ! See what you can do please in time for my next visit!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the Carlton Hotel.

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay, but I have noted your comments on children in the steam room.

Our lifeguards do try to monitor the wet areas, but we do rely on parents to be responsible, which is why we do not let under 16’s in the areas without a parent or guardian present. I have passed your comments onto my Pools Manager and lifeguards for their reference.

During your next visit should a similar incident occur please speak to the lifeguard on poolside and they will be able to intervene and remedy the situation by speaking with the children and parents involved.

We look forward to welcoming you again.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Comfortable room, some decoration looking slightly tired. Food was of a very good quality with friendly accommodating staff. Hotel facilities were plentiful with an excellent themed indoor pool.
In general an enjoyable, comfortable stay, in a good location for walking to Torquay, Cockington village, and for the more enthusiastic Paignton.
Would recommend the Carlton, and will return for another visit.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for posting your feedback on your recent stay at the Carlton Hotel.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

The Carlton Hotel is one of four linked together and owned by TLH resort, which I believe is still family owned and run, not part of one the many big chains. It is clearly well used and so a little tired around the edges with well-worn carpets in the public areas and some of the decor needs improving BUT it is still well worth a visit. It must get very busy in the summer months but as we visited in early January it was resonably peaceful. We paid a little extra per night for a "Riviera Room" with a sea view and added the package which included drinks from the bar from 6.00 pm until 11.00 pm. Brilliant value! The food was excellent. At weekends the breakfast is buffet style but on weekday mornings it is cooked to order. Dinner in the evening had a reasonable choice for each course and was first class. Probably the best thing about the hotel though was the excellent staff. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Its worth paying a little extra for the Riviera rooms as you are away from the road and so it is qui...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

Our aim is to provide a great value, relaxing and enjoyable break with excellent service from the team. After reading your review I think we managed to tick all the boxes.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Brenda W Had a lovely Spa weekend at the Carlton Hotel. Pool was excellent and the Aztec Spa was fab. The girls in the spa who give the treatments were very professional and welcoming and made me feel at ease, as I had never been before. The food was good and the staff were helpful and friendly We had a little trouble finding the way in to the pool but it's such a large complex I don't suppose we were the only ones!! The whole experience was great and I shall be returning next year for another pamper weekend. The aqua aerobics class was ace!! Very good value all round

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We have just spent 4 nights in the Carlton Hotel (for the 5th year running) and have had a lovely RELAXING stay. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, the food is good and the leisure facilities are excellent especially the pool and Spa. The room are a little tired but what can you expect in a busy popular hotel. Cant wait for next January.