“Had a great time”

and 1 more site!
TLH Carlton Hotel
Ranked #30 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed in the Carlton for just one night in the October half term. The hotel is a real blast from the past and has a really 1980s feel about it, in the décor, food and service, which I really liked. It's not meant to be a 1980s theme hotel or anything it just felt very nostalgic of the time. I hope they don't change it and make it all modern and anonymous.

We only stayed one night because they were fully booked we wanted to stay for two nights. For a start, just finding a hotel room that sleeps five is a challenge, our children are all small so we didn't want them in a separate room. TLH gets five stars straight away from me just for being able to fit us all into one room.

The room was big enough and perfectly adequate, a little dark though with only one small window at the edge of the room. My only criticism of the room was that it could do with a small fridge to keep drinks/milk in, oh, and some more hanging space for towels so that we can hang them up to dry after swimming.

My children all loved the breakfast and dinner, as did we, the food was all fine (1980s!), better than we expected for the price we paid. I would have preferred it if breakfast and dinner started a little earlier for the children though. Especially dinner because they normally go to bed at 7pm and dinner doesn't start until 6.30 so they were all starving and completely knackered by then as they had been so busy enjoying themselves during the day. Despite this I know 6.30pm is actually quite an early dinner time so we were grateful it wasn't any later, breakfast could have started at 7 or 7.30am though, that's not particularly early for a hotel.

The facilities and entertainment was all good, great for the children although not what we would have chosen for ourselves as adults, very cheesy (1980s again!). We booked this place with the children in mind and for them it was absolutely perfect, apart from meal times.

All in all I would highly recommend if you have children, great value and easy. We booked two nights for the last weekend in the February half term and are going in a couple of days, really looking forward to it.

Room Tip: I think you can ask for sea view rooms, we didn't get one though, maybe you have to pay extra?
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cathy C
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Thank you for your comments and you will be delighted to know that we offer themed weekends during the year so we are unlikely to change to be modern and anonymous! I am delighted to hear that your family enjoyed their stay and I have noted your feedback. It is possible to book sea view rooms at a small supplement so be sure to ask when you make your next booking. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My friends and I had a very relaxing overnight stay at the Carlton hotel, our room was spotless and comfortable, and we all found the beds comfy and had a good night sleep they was no noise from other guests in side and out side the hotel, we had to sleep with the window open as we was alittle to hot!!! in the room.
We had an excellent meal in the restaurant served by very friendly staff and service was quick, breakfast was very good with plenty of choice.
The pool area was fab and we were very impressed with the amount of entertainment that was on offer and every age was catered for.
We had a mini treatment in the spa which was part of the package we had paid for, the staff were very friendly and the spa it's self was clean and had a relaxing feel.
We had lunch in the bistro which was very reasonably priced and again we had quick service.
Although there were buckets to collect leaks from the ceiling this is not surprising due the horrendous weather we have had recently and the hotel have tried to do its best to hide this from the guests.
All in all we had excellent stay and very reasonably priced, we will be returning in the future and recommending to friends and family. Thank you ;))

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Scampie43

Thank you for your review and your recommendation to family and friends. It is always great to hear feedback and I am delighted that you found our facilities, entertainment and activities to your taste. As you say, there is a lot to do within the complex of the four hotels but you can be as active or as relaxed as you wish to be. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

spent the week on a Monday to Friday dance break.
Excellent facilities with great pool area and restaurant, very good value for money.
Rooms were clean although bed was very hard.
Second time to the Carlton / Victoria and will be returning again.
would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank farmerjoeblack
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback and it is lovely to hear you enjoyed your dance midweek break. If you find the bed hard on your next visit please ask for a mattress topper which might make you more comfortable. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Visited the Carlton Hotel in Torquay with a group for a Spa weekend. As expected the hotel complex is in old victorian building withe 3 other hotels and apartment blocks attached.
Room was average and very warm - the notice said turn radiator off if too hot but the valve didn' work. On the plus side having read reviews which said the beds were hard, I asked housekeeping for a mattress topper. This was duly delivered and I had a lovely couple of nights sleep in a cosy, soft bed. Everything was very clean but a little threadbare. However, the staff need to be commended for their service and helpfulness with such large numbers of guests during a winter weekend. We had a lovely time and I can well see why this hotel complex would bne a winner for family holidays in the UK. Inside pools, outside pools, entertainment - everything you could wish for.

Room Tip: There are premium roos with sea views at an additional cost
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your spa weekend. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I booked with the Carlton through spabreaks.com and since I didn't spend a great deal of money was not expecting much.

Thankfully, the Carlton disproved my expectations (the reason why it hasn't got an excellent rating will be explained later on)

Also, for point of reference: The Carlton is one of 4 hotels connected together by a shared leisure complex and spa.

The staff were friendly and efficient throughout the facilities. The room was spotless and all the amenities fully functioning. The dinner was excellent. The swimming pool was lovely - if a little on the cool side, and the Jacuzzi was just what I needed - if a little on the small side.

I didn't explore the leisure facilities fully (including the spa) as I was only there for the one night, BUT I was surprised that evening entertainment was available in the Starlight lounge - reasonable and enjoyable but clearly aimed more for the elder audience dominating the hotel's occupation.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I have already recommended the Carlton and it's sister hotels to my sister-in-law for a girly weekend.

The reasons why I have not given the Carlton an Excellent rating are:
1) There were several drips coming down into the complex from a leaky roof. While the buckets were necessary - they did prove rather unsightly
2) Though Wi-Fi was available - I couldn't access it (and I was witness to another guest having similar log-in problems)
3) As mentioned, the hotels are linked together by a shared leisure complex which essentials allows you to walk between the hotels to use their facilities. However, despite a map, it was not obvious by their current signage where it was you were supposed to go.
4) The room was lovely but the bed and the pillows were too hard for my taste and I did wake with a rather bad back. fortunately cured by having a soak in their spacious tub.
5) The breakfast was part-buffet and part-service. Both reasonable BUT I had to send back my toast as their toaster was "temperamental" and refilling the buffet stations did fall a bit to the wayside.
6) Though I had no problem getting into the pool and Jacuzzi - I suspect in the bust season that would NOT be the case.

However, these problems were minor inconveniences in the overall satisfaction of my stay.

Am defiantly using the Carlton again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Naomi M
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Thank you for recent review of your spa break and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and have recommended the Carlton to your family.

There is a programme of works in place to fix the leaking roof which has been a problem in the spa reception following the recent exceptionally bad weather. The jacuzzi is being replaced at the end of February along with a programme of improvemtents in that area, so we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I visited for a Zumba weekend and even though there were so few of us (10 !!!) it was well worth doing - the classes went ahead as scheduled, and we joined in with the provided entertainment at night, which serves 3 hotels together I believe. Friendly staff, good food, great facilities - it really was good value for the price we had paid. I would love to come back another time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Valerie W
CarltonMgt, General Manager at TLH Carlton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Delighted to hear you enjoyed your Zumba weekend. These are held regularly throughout the year so we do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

This is the second year I have stayed at the Carlton Hotel part of the THL group, once again, excellent entertainment, first class food, which has a good selection on menu, lovely pools and great staff. Stayed in the apartments even though half board, apartment is lovely and spacious, clean, and well maintained would recommend this.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Glad to hear you had a fantastic time and look forward to seeing you next Christmas.