“Relaxing break”

Ranked #19 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Relaxing break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Relaxing break. Great Customer service friendly staff, the same can be said for facilities. Very well laid out, and above all Very Clean. Nice breakfast. Very happy....... this was my second visit and I will be returning.......

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Polish first
Dorset
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

After finding this hotel through tripadvisor and booking.com we decided to book a weekend for our 1st wedding Anniversary. It took us 4 hours to get down and when we arrived, we could see from the outside that the hotel looked very dated. We went into reception and it was like walking back in time, everything looked very old. The lady on reception was pleasant. We booked in and had a quick look round, the ball room looked like something from hi-de-hi and the restaurant looked more like a workmans cafe. We went up to our room on the 1st floor (156) and when we opened the door our chins hit the floor. The room was very small, it was also very dirty, the carpet was threadbare, the bottom of the bed was also threadbare, it reminded me of a 1970 holiday camp room. The small sink in the room was very small and dirty and the tv was an old fasion portable. Looking outside the window the ledges were full of old dogends. The carpet on the landing was dirty and threadbare and the hole place was just very old fasion and not clean.. This is not what we wanted for our 1st anniversary. I Paid £180 for 2 nights not including food, but it was not worth £10 a night. i went to reception and asked to check out and the woman (different) was not very helpfull and just ok then. I will be writing to Booking.com also with regard this hotel. We then left the hotel and stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: The room we had 156 was terrible.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darren M
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Derwent Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
I am sorry that you decided not to stay and leave with a negative view of our hotel, I am informed you were offered another room but decided not to take the option. Room 156 although dated in parts is not dirty as you state in your review. I would suggest that as your booking was for an anniversary you would have probably enjoyed one of our 3 star hotels, over the value for money 2 star Derwent Hotel. I would not usually suggest that any review is exaggerated but feel that this review does not reflect our overall offering. I believe you were given a full refund for you two nights bed and breakfast booking. Having recently stayed in a local 3 star hotel myself after getting married were I paid £179 per night bed and breakfast for two adults. I believe we offer excellent value for money which includes our free entertainment and use of our 5* leisure facilities. I would suggest anyone reading this review read the other 300+ other guest reviews to get a fair impression of the Derwent Hotel. Regards
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

we have stayed twice in two months with our granddaughter and she had a wonderfull time,if the weather is good or bad there is plenty to do in and around the hotel.The complex is a two star and you get what you pay for,the rooms are clean and basic but comfortable,the restaurant had enough choices for everyone and the staff very friendly.The evening entertainment was great for children and the team of entertainers were very proffesional and looked after the children very well.For me the TLH RESORT is perfectly based for a family holiday in Torquay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

where do I start? well it is a very old linked building,and only 2 stars,positives are,near the beach and sea front,because of the TLH RESORT link up if you dont like what is going on in one hotel it is easy to walk into an adjoining one,the AZTEC water area is great for families and mums with tots! and does have a good size adult pool for those serious swimmers, just beware if you are a family and need a drink from the aztec bar as for example a small PEPSI will set you back £1.40! a rip off for families in my opinion! the meals are adequate and varied, just a memo to the chef, try putting some oats in the porridge! as every morning it needed a soup ladel to pour it onto the plate!the restaurant staff were hard worked and very friendly, and were quick to help any requirements,just could have done with better range and quantity of vegetables.Now then the rooms! small cramped and although they changed my room it was on the side of the main road, which because it was warm in the night you could not leave the windows open either for late night revellers or early morning delivery drivers banging and crashing around, shouting out etc etc, One strange thing was the number of rooms with a bathroom shower and toilet, but the washing facilities were in the bedrooms,so from a couples point of view you had to watch each other during their respective ablutions!no modesty allowed!being an old building the creaking floorboards were something else which might initially be amusing but a week of noise every single step in the room gets very annoying.The room staff worked hard but the carpets are old worn and dusty, setting off a few sneezes! sash windows not the easiest to open, the boiler broke down one morning so majority had no hot water until fixed later in the day!I would say it serves a purpose for those with families on limited budgets or for youngsters who have other things on their minds! I was there with a bowling group and the indoor bowling facilities are excellent so well done there! there is lots more I could write but I hope you have the picture, I shall be following up this review with my thoughts on Torquay and surrounding!

Room Tip: good luck on many planes!!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
tetbury
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Firstly I will say the postives, the spa even though we did not use as we were there for one night were beautiful (wish we had), good location and near to the beach. Bed was very comfortable however did not like rolling over in the middle of the night and feeling the gap between the beds (zip and link)

Breakfast was good, self service and a very bubbly chef and welcoming waitresses who offered us tea/coffee and toast which was nice and a nice window table and concidering we went down for 9 and breakfast finishes at 9.45am it wasn't too busy at all however breakfast was a little cold.

Now onto the not so good. The whole reason for getting away was because my boyfriend had been very unwell and still is so we were looking for a nice night away to relax.

We could not find the hotel from the directions but once we walked we did. large car park but beware if you have a lot of stuff you do have to go downstairs to the reception. decor very old. However not one to judge as we both work in 4 star hotels we went with open minds. check in was efficent and we were given a map of the hotel and a little quiz and our registration pack. Our room was on the first floor so we got the lift, which btw smelt awfully of cigarettes being smokers ourselves the smell was enough to put us off.

Walking along the corridor you could smell what we could only imagain was yourine. Once in the room however we were settled and all we wanted was a quick nap. However we were woken by somebody trying to get into our hotel room! Not pleasant.

The room was right next to a very busy main road, working in a hotel where there is a road next to it we are used to people saying about road noise and we tend to say it quitens down after rush hour which in this case we thought it would however all NIGHT we heard car horns etc etc so a good night sleep!

Bathroom had no window so if you like us wanted a nice hot shower you had trouble seeing in the room.

We decided not to eat at the Hotel as the menu was very limited and we were very put off by the fact that everytime you dined you had to use hand sanitiser I mean I understand there are germs etc but come on....

The welcome pack was out of date I was shocked to see that I had to pay £10 for a hairdryer and when I asked reception I was told this was no longer the case.

We only found 1 place to eat which was lovely even if there was a wait this didn't bother us.

The staff were helpful so thats one plus however I can say I will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Derwent Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Our hotels are completely non-smoking so I am unsure why the lift smelt of smoke. I have identified your room to establish which corridor had an unpleasant smell. I have identified why there was a smell and this problem is now resolved. I am sorry that this was not acted upon on the night you were here. I am pleased that you found our staff to be helpful. As your visit was only 1 night you would probably have preferred one of our 3 star hotels instead of the 2 star Derwent. We try to give a true representation of our offering on our website to ensure that our guests book the hotel that will suit them best. The Derwent does remain the most popular with our guests who at this time of year are primarily families and those looking for a lively environment. We will continue to use our feedback to review what we do and how we do it. Kindest regards.
bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

My friends and I stayed for 2 nights in this hotel and had a great time. The staff were helpful, the food was great. The rooms were a bit dated and carpets worn. The room was clean and tidy. Some details were lacking. We had to ask for a hairdryer for example which surprised me. Also someone had left Smarties on the stairs and they were still there 2 days later. Wonder if they are still there now...? There are no prizes for the entertainment. However, the pool was wonderful and the food very well presented and varied. The steak on the first night fell apart and was served with proper vegetables and not just peas and carrots. The staff were always very helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jonah9
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. My housekeeper sends apologies that sweets were left on a staircase for two days. This is unacceptable at any hotel. We will be putting hairdryers in the remaining rooms that do not already have them over the coming year. Kindest regards
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

We stayed here lots in the 80's & it was the best hotel in torquay. Unfortunately its still stuck in the 80's! Some parts have been modernised & the aztec areas are very nice. Apart from that the hotel & rooms are very tired & dated, cleanliness is the bare minimum. The hotel describes itself as 'disabled friendly' yet there is NO disabled parking & steps (no ramps) at every entrance makin wheelchair access impossible. We saw several people get out of their chairs & struggle up the steps. The disabled rooms are only in double or family rooms so a single disabled traveller has to either pay more or struggle with the room. The floors in the hotel are uneaven & sloped so there are huge gaps under the door. Disabled guests are placed close to the lift for ease of access but this then proves to be very noisy with other guests in & out. The staff are friendly but with a very 'just doing my job' attitude & when tackled about disabled facilities were not very helpful. Its more annoying that when booking we were told of their very good disabled access & parking only to discover it is practically non-exhistent. The breakfast room is a joke & seemed to have waiting staff in some areas stood around doing nothing & others run ragged, our saving grace our waiter Daniel very pleasant & friendly & deserved a medal as he seemed to be the only 1 in our area. Overall wud not come back which is a shame as the hotel held some very happy childhood memories.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry that you left us with a negative view. We have invested a lot of money in recent years improving our disabled access. This includes new ramped areas where steps and temporary ramps used to be, new ramped access to our restaurants and many other areas across our 7.5acre site. What your feedback has highlighted is that our street level main reception access is not adequately sign posted. We will address this as soon as possible. I was surprised by your comments regarding our customer service, we spend a lot of time and effort training our staff and this is recognised not only by the national awards we win, but also by the vast majority of our guests. I have spoken to the member of staff that checked you in and have established that although you were reserved a parking space at the rear of the hotel this space was not suitable. We have limited disabled parking bays with the remaining reserved spaces are standard car parking spaces, which I accept may not suit everybody’s needs. I will address this with our reservations staff to ensure the information we provide is correct. We have a very detailed disabled access statement on our website that is factual and representative of our amenities. I will review how we direct our customers that need this information to it, as you seem to not be aware of it. I understand that your headline of "Basil Fawlty would be proud" is easy to type, but would stress that this is not a fair representation of our business. I welcome you to contact me at the hotel to discuss this or any other matter should you so wish. Kindest regards Jason Garside, General Manager