“7 nights half-board”

Ranked #19 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Hailsham, United Kingdom
“7 nights half-board”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Just returned from holiday to this hotel. Staff were all brilliant, efficient and friendly, rooms and communal spaces were kept spotless. Nightly entertainment was good - with the added option of other connected hotels available to visit. Great complex includes swimming pools and gym. A good base for all ages from kids to grans.
One morning I discovered one of the carpet trims at the top of some steps was loose - I reported it - fixed in the hour!
Could not fault the staff, special mention to the restaurant manager Jim Bowman, I had a question for him on my first night, and all week after that I was greeted by name, even though the restaurant was full of people. He also was not afraid to get his hands dirty and joined in serving and removing dishes when necessary.
The only slight problem we found was with the choices on the menu, which we thought could have been a bit more traditional and varied slightly. Having said that, all was well cooked & well presented and the service was faultless.
I would recommend this hotel, especially to families with young children, as there is a full entertainments programme just for them, and we would certainly go back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Polish first
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Complex was fantastic, the hotel joins several others & all the facilities are shared, Rooms were large, big beds, Pool(s), Games room, bars, restaurants, multiple Live entertainment rooms, great for couples & families alike, You could have spent the weekend without leaving if you wanted to!
when we did want to go out, we were 5 minutes from beach & 10-15 minutes from harbour & town on foot & there was a nearby park, with pitch & putt, tennis, crazy golf, etc.
Buffet breakfast was ample & plenty of staff on hand serving, minimal waiting time
Only issue i could find was after midnight, once all entertainment was finished,you could not get a late takeaway from the complex or nearby, so would have to go into town.... if there was an onsite takeaway after hours, i'd have given it 5*

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed at the Derwent for four nights in mid-September (2012), a single person in a coach party. My 'single' accommodation was, in fact, a quiet 3rd floor twin room overlooking the rest of the complex at the back of the hotel. The room included a television, drink-making facilities, an en-suite shower and toilet with a wash basin in the main bedroom. The room was fully serviced daily and a change I requested was carried out on the day that I requested it. My only minor criticisms would be that the corridors to the bedrooms and the inter-floor staircases both tended to be narrow. The lift was small but swift.
The amenities (mostly free to hotel residents) were extensive and very high quality. Evening entertainment was adequate and the in-house entertainment team's 'Songs from the Musicals' was superb!
The food provided (half-board basis) was plentiful, varied, well cooked and served by sociable and friendly staff. The staff generally were very good; sociable, helpful and considerate.
I was warned that the hotel was sited on a hill but the walk up from the sea front was not arduous although I can understand that more elderly/infirm people may find it so.
Bearing in mind the cost of my four nights (including return coach transport), I cannot fault the hotel and it certainly exceeded my expectations. It is a two star hotel and I would happily recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank AndyB169
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Look
To all you peeps who expect 4 star in a 2 star get a iife
Yes obviusoly if you find toenails thats not good but:::

We viewe the hotel b4 we booked it is a childrens hotel families etc
Food was spot on : Do you want the menu well here:
Soup Tom excellent :: Homemade yes excellent : sweet homeade yes apple rhubarb etc
Soup / Goats chees ::: Staek and ale pie homeade yes

Cmon need i say more :: i have stayed in all stars of hotels all over the world yes you do get what you pay for but for us we have no complaint room small toilet small clean but look at the info b4 u book dont complain to the staff about it if u already knew
Michael our polish waiter in the Derwent was superb quick and reacted to complaints trouble is some folk think they are staiying at 5 star and blame staff it makes me sick these people should get to ground and stop thinking they are film stars
gr8 stay friendly staff food gr8

Room Tip: family rtooms are a little tight in the derwent
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Salisbury
Reviewed 16 September 2012

First of all apologies for delay in posting this review but I thought I had already done one but can't find it. We visited as part of a skittles team in may and it was only because we used provided transport that we stayed! On the positive side the staff were brilliant and the facilities are spot on. That's where it stops I'm afraid. The hotel is old and needs updating, the carpets in the room were threadbare and it needs a coat of paint. The food was appalling and I told the waitress just that to pass onto chef who apparently wasn't best pleased. Everything said home made, don't make me laugh if he eats that food in his house then he won't survive long! Worse of all was the cleanliness, we complained on arrival that our carpet had someone's toe nails all over it, we were advised that they would be dealt with. To be fair they might have been but not whilst we were there. The top sheet was soiled but again no action taken. We did complain to front of house who was clearly dismayed and did apologise but a few words when we are leaving is a bit late I'm afraid hence the tone of this review

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Derwent Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Thank you for your review. Your skittles weekends are not fully representative of our offering. Without going into too much detail we are able to provide 340+ skittters with an excellent value package that includes lunches by reducing our menu options during our evenings. This is in conjunction with Shootout, the organisers of this event. I am very surprised buy your room comment which is extremely rare. I am sure the other 300+ reviews bare testament to this. I would hope anyone reading this review understands that these are closed weekends that are not representative of our normal offering. We will use your feedback when reviewing these events that take place 2-5 times a year with the Shootout organisers. Regards
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

the hotel was great for the kids and adults alike ,prices were fair and the food/drinks were also good value .got to use both indoor and out door pools which was unexpected ! and the indoor play areas for the kids was great as it meant we didnt have to leave the hotel on a night to keep the kids happy .the only fault i can find is that the parking is a bit tight and you may have to wait around to get a spot .we would 100% use again.

Room Tip: if your in a family group try to book the same hotel within the group.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Fantastic hotel with excellent facilities, me and my family usually go around Christmas time and it is fantastic! Cannot praise it enough! The pool is beautiful and the entertainment is excellent, a really lovely family getaway!

• Stayed December 2011