“A Good Time”

Ranked #19 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
“A Good Time”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Everything you could want from a hotel. Great staff, clean rooms, brilliant food, and questionable entertainment. We won a line at the bingo. From start to finish this holiday was more than good. Made to feel welcome the moment we stepped through the door we could not fault the hotel. Only a two star being a little tired but it more than made up for itself with the facilities available. I would recommend it to anyone. If you don't like children go out of season.

Room Tip: Do not pick room 111 next to the lift. In the morning it is the place where people gather on the lan...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Polish first
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We had a lovely holiday with our 8 month old at the Derwent. Although our double room was slightly too small with a cot in it, it was comfortable and clean. The food in the restaurant was awesome, offering a wide variety of foods. Staff around the whole hotel were friendly and very attentive! Our little girl took quite a shining to one waitress! The location of the hotel is perfect, only a short walk from the beach and the harbour.
We will definately be back for another visit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Decided on the Derwent as had to vacate my rented property for a week due to Building work. Had stayed there for a weekend some 20 years before so thought id give it a try and felt straight at home as soon as I checked in. Had booked a Single Room but was delighted to find I had been given a twin. Slightly unhappy no free wifi in my room only in Public Areas but my room was very clean and spacious. Only had the breakfast but found it up to standard. The girls on reception were very helpful and always happy to help. Parking was fine as I ventured out to Paignton, Babbacoombe etc but always found a space when I returned and to top it off the weather was great so had a nicely relaxed 4 days (Mon - Fri). Will certainly stay at the Derwent again. Happy days!!

Room Tip: Only slight niggle is that if your room is at the rear of the hotel you can get woken up by staff pu...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Brandino72
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Choose the Derwent if you want a busy hotel in a good location with plenty to do and see. We stayed for 2 nights on a Friday and Saturday and were really pleased with our choice. The rooms could do with a bit of updating but that didn't worry us as they had everything you need, really comfortable beds, clean, tv/coffee making facilites. We didn't spend much time using the other facilities apart from the pool which was great apart from a few clouds but you can't do anything about that!! Close by the pool they set up a massage tent for those who didn't want one in the spa so my sister and I paid for a back and neck massage which was fab and it only cost £8 each!! amazing value. The breakfast was one of the best I have had, normally I am too hungover to eat it in hotels but this was so delicious I scoffed the lot and didn't need to eat again until late afternoon. We used Alberts bar to meet up and also went to the karaoke on the Saturday evening which was a scream and then we fell in to bed. All in all great weekend and will definitely go again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank elaineg666
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I cannot think of a hotel I have stayed in that provided as much entertainment and activities as the Derwent . The food, cleanliness and staff are second to none. Only very slight down side was the early morning food deliveries which was quite noisy if your room was on the front elevation towards the main entrance.

Room Tip: Ask for one over looking the car park if you are a light sleeper but I really am being a bit picky!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoePMG
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Yet again another great family holiday at The Derwent hotel in Torquay. The facilities provided by the four hotels that make up TLH are excellent, lots of things to do and keep the kids and adults occupied. The good weather also made the holiday even better. After several visits over the years the rooms we had this year were by far the best , they had obviously been recently decorated and improved, couldn't fault them. Every time we revisit the resort it's good to see that improvements have been made and that money is being put back into the business. All the staff were friendly and very helpful my only niggle would be the customer care after an incident with a faulty window in my sons room. The incident was logged but management at the hotel obviously didn't feel that the incident warranted a personal apology to us or our son, which disappointed us a little. Overall we had a great week and would always feel happy to revisit TLH.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
derbyshire
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I have been coming to the TLH complex for fifteen years now and I have stayed in all four hotels and both self catering apartments. The Derwent is the cheapest of the four. hotels and the rooms are not as nice as some of the others but in my opinion the food provided is as good as the others and suits my taste better .The Derwent Hotel is more family friendly with a good children's menu. The facilities on site are second to none with something to do all day .I have already booked again for Sept

Room Tip: ask for a refurbished room on the car park side away from the entertainment end of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business