“What a difference a year makes!”
Review of TLH Derwent Hotel

TLH Derwent Hotel
Ranked #19 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Ilminster, United Kingdom
“What a difference a year makes!”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Further to my last visit to the Derwent Hotel being rather disappointing, we decided to go again over the New Year to join friends. The hotel has much improved since our last visit {Dec1 2012}. The overall interior look now meets expectations, the staff are kind and really friendly and the food quality has really improved. It was a pleasure to be waited upon by such professional young people and our room was really clean and comfortable. I would now have no problem recommending this hotel and look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Derwent Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for your review. We are working hard at improving our general appearance as well as investing over 1 million pounds in our property this year. We hope that you visit again and see further improvements that are already taking place. Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Polish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Have stayed here several times, the last time we were disappointed, rooms were looking tired and outdated. As we need a family room, we were pleased to see the room had been redecorated and modern touches have been put in place. As always the food was lovely and portions more than adequate. The facilities are outstanding, with indoor and outdoor pools. The entertainment staff are keen and keep you entertained with a daily timetable. If you do not want to leave the hotel, there is lots on offer, you can even watch people playing indoor bowls. My only complaint would be with the Play area and games zone, this was unfinished and things missing with areas fenced off. It maybe if we return this too has been updated!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 625Elsie
Thank you for your review. We try hard to keep getting better, this will never end. Kind regards
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

2 star not a chance!!! 5 star attention to detail and 5++++ staff. Fantastic food throughout the break, entertainment was so brilliant the entertainment team, and professional act's were so good,The Gala Buffet evening superb. We felt special as did all the guests, something going on all day, excellent swimming pools, on new years day, The Torbay Lions Club put on an afternoon of racing making money for a specially adapted bicycle for an amputee. Enjoyed ourselves so much booked before we left for next new year. Thank you for one of the best New Years breaks we have had for a very long time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Margaret G
It was fantastic. I know I shouldn't say so myself but it was a great break full of familiar faces. Happy New Year.
Wilts
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We are having a fantastic time here at the Derwent Hotel, last nights New Years Eve party was fabulous the entertainment team were rocking and they really pulled out all the stops so we could have fun. To the staff here at the Derwent thank you for being so good at your jobs you deserve every accolade going. Mr Garside you have a great team and to the resteraunt staff and the chefs tonight's buffet was perfection. So to the cleaners,bar staff, reception staff, chefs, waiting staff and Jim Bowman a very big thank you. To the guys and girls on the entertainment team you rock.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DiddieWilts
Thank you. I remember you from New Year. Happy New Year.
Camborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

we have stayed several times for girlie weekends , as always the service was excellent. the staff are lovely and cannot do enough for you. always very clean. the food is fantastic highly recommend the Derwent and the surrounding hotels in the TLH group.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank miche999
Thank you for your review. Kindest regards
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I found myself needing a room in Torquay at very short notice within walking distance of the rail station, and booking.com came up trumps with this place. I paid £30 per night bed and breakfast for a single room which I thought was very good value as I booked on my day of arrival. I was probably not the target customer for this hotel at the time of year but I was made to feel welcome.

The lady on reception was pleasant, and seemed keen for me to use the inclusive facilities. Lifts were dated and slow - I would recommend using the stairs unless you are carrying luggage as its much quicker. The room was clean and adequately furnished. The bathroom was a little dated but everything worked. TV with a wide selection of channels, and I slept fine in the room.

Breakfast was fine, I was impressed that when I went down on the second morning the guy who seated me the previous day remembered my name, and I was also impressed by service from Daniel at breakfast. The food was good too for an inclusive breakfast.

The hotel is part of a complex with 3 other hotels with a courtyard style outdoor swimming pool between them, which I imagine would be popular for family holidays in the summer. As it was winter, one of the hotels contained an "Aztec" indoor swimming pool and spa which I made use of. The pool especially was very nice. The spa was a little tired but there is a sign advising it will be replaced in the new year.

All in all I would be happy to stay here again. I encountered no problems, but I believe if I had the staff would have been very keen to resolve them, as overall the staff in this hotel seemed to be some of the most enthusiastic I have seen in a hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank rtl2
Thank you for your review. We are really pleased you had an enjoyable break. We are working on bedroom refurbishments. I hope that you are able to visit again and see the improvements we have made. Kind regards
Bristol, UK
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We spent 4 excellent nights at the Derwent Hotel, and as always had thoroughly good time. The facilities are excellent value for money. Very clean hotel and good choice of food and plenty of it. There is a variety of entertainment to keep you occupied, such as line dancing with Chris, Quizzes, Tea and biscuits and Bingo followed by a variety of dancing with Kevin of KB Sounds. Then, back to bed and await the breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: Whether you are in a room at the front or the back, you still have a quiet, pleasant and most of all...