TLH Derwent Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Riviera Hotel(Torquay)
  • Breakfast included
1,189 results
All reviewsgames roomstarlight loungeten pin bowlingentertainment teamaztec bistrokb soundsalberts barindoor bowlsaztec poolstar hotelother hotelstlh groupfamily hotelland trainkids clubtable tennisevening entertainment
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 March 2014

the rooms were nice, but everything else was rubbish including the food, i reported the shower not working after our first night and when we got back the shower had been fixed, but the towels were soaking wet ,when i reported that they sent up some dry towels but told us to keep the wet ones in the room until the following day, needless to say they did smell a bit by the following day.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 1ogee
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Derwent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased you liked your room. We have been invested in our 420+ bedrooms across our complex over the last few years. This will continue this year until completion. I am sorry you seemed to dislike other areas of our offering including our food. The vast majority of feedback is very positive in these areas. I was pleased to read that the shower that you reported as faulty was repair promptly. I am sorry that you required your towels replacing due to wetness and that when given new towels they did not remove the damp ones. I have spoken to the team and this is unusual practice. I am also sorry you will not visit again, I am aware that first impressions are most important and we have failed to make a good one on this occasion. I would assure you and others reading this review, that for the most part our service is what makes us stand out, way beyond that of any 2* hotel and for the most part is more personal and welcoming than any you will receive in some 3* hotels. Kindest regards

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We have stayed at the Derwent many times & I feel that the overall standard has improved greatly. Food was very good, the rooms redecoration is excellent, the entertainment was wonderful & the comedian Hank Sherman went down a storm!
Kevin of KB Sounds was his usual superb entertaining self. He had the room jumping & he brings so many people back to the Derwent Hotel. He is a great asset to the TLH resort & long may he reign!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed at this 2 star hotel over a weekend so that we could attend a function at the Riviera Conference Centre which is 2 minutes walk away.
The hotel is somewhat dilapidated, with thread bare carpets in a number of places, particularly the stairs ,and the creakiest floors in the hallways that I have ever come across! There are at least 4 floors of rooms, with the hotel being much larger than one imagines. The lifts, 2 of them, are very small so when the hotel is busy you have to wait quite a while. The rooms seem to be miles away from the lifts and I had to take two suitcases up at least 10 stairs on the way to the room from the lift. I am an OAP so found this difficult.
The room was clean and the beds comfortable. There are coffee and tea making facilities which were welcome. , and the flat TV had an excellent picture.
However, the main problem was the noise of people walking/running past the room late at night. The corridor flooring is so creaky it became a real problem. Not so much early on but after midnight towards 1.00 am when people were returning to their rooms we were woken up purely by people walking past the door.
The restaurant was rather like a dining hall , with people queuing to go to dinner at 6.30pm.
However on the plus side the staff at the hotel were very pleasant, the food was good and plentiful, and the other facilities, the swimming pool, bars etc which are shared with other hotels adjoining which are part of the TLH Group were obviously popular.
Last downside was the difficulty in parking. This was a nightmare. We eventually found somewhere close to the hotel and didn't move the car for the whole time we were there because of the worry that we wouldn't find any where to park again. The time it took to get two suitcases from the room down a flight of stairs, along corridors,down with the lift, up two or three further flights of stairs and then to the car in the car park and back again in reverse using the lift was at the least 10 minutes. Not the end of the world, at least we parked in the hotel car park, but not satisfactory .
I wouldn't use this hotel again. However it's good value for money, the children will like the pool and entertainment, and the staff are very friendly, so if you can put up with noise from the floorboards, threadbare stair carpets and long distances from Reception to the room then it could certainly prove ok.

Room Tip: front of hotel rooms facing the road may be noisy from traffic late at night,
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Derwent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post you review. The hotel is undergoing investment over the next 12 months to move it forward to a three star product. We hope that you return and see the fruits of our labour. Your comments are all duly noted. Kindest regards

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We booked for a three night break away,what a great four days we had,just had to ask to extend our stay,would have stayed longer but the hotel was fully booked thereafter.Anyone looking for a trouble free break will be looked after here.Food,?,well i am a big food fan ,Huge Breakfast!!,all well presented,just ask and its on your plate!!.Egg Bacon,Sausage,Hash Brown,Fried Bread,Beans and Tomatoes,with toast and all of the cereals including porridge!, with tomato juice,orange juice,.The fruit starters included orange,grapefruit and prunes,.The usual bread roll and toast made up your start to the day.The staff were so efficient and friendly,they made the day start so well.The facilities in this Four Hotel complex are second to non,The pool area is such a joy,Bowls? well it has a full sized inside arena.,very busy,Ten pin bowling.?two lanes,Pool tables?,numerous,darts? yes,Slot machines are there if the need takes you.What else can i say,if the weather turns ,you can just stay inside,so much to do.The evening meal is just so filling,we did manage to finish the three courses just once!,This hotel has only a two star rating,BUT a five star in our opinion for the food alone,it will i understand be gaining a third star this year,(much deserved)if the chit chat is correct !.Thank you all for a great stay,we will be returning in the very near future BUT we will be asking for a rear of building room as the front one we had was a bit noisy with the delivery vehicles,(our ONLY fault),enjoy your stay folks,i am sure you will not be let down.

Room Tip: Rear facing rooms away from the road are quieter
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jgo001

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

“If we’re going to the conference in Torquay on Friday 28th February, and travelling down to have a night over on the 27th, my dad’s birthday, why don’t we take him with us as a birthday treat?” This was my wife’s idea of a fun 89th birthday for Fred, her dear old dad who is far from nimble these days.

As some other friends and colleagues had already booked a stay at the Derwent Hotel for the event we were all due to attend, and the prices to stay there seemed quite reasonable, I booked a double for my wife and I and a single room for good old Fred. After a pleasant trundle down the M5 from the Midlands, also giving a lift to a friend who had previously stayed at the Derwent, we arrived just before the 3 pm checking in time for the hotel.

The car park is to the rear of the hotel and due to the hill you park on the top. Leaving my wife and father in law in the car I went to check in which was when I realised the Derwent, which s a warren of a place, is not really the most disabled friendly place to be. After asking about getting my doddery old father in law, and his wheelchair in to the hotel, I was instructed to take him in through the fire door from the car park to the lift. Getting him and his wheelchair into the small lift was another challenge which due to a bit of bad planning by me left me on the wrong side of the lift unable to reach the buttons. Suddenly the lift set off and we arrived on the wrong floor where I had to ask a chap to press the button for the second floor for me.

Despite this initial setback our rooms were clean and looked as if they had been freshly decorated, the beds and furnishings were good and to add to it the staff were really friendly and helpful too. They helped us by providing a raised toilet seat for Fred as he found the toilet too low. All we had to do was ask and within an hour it was there in his room.

There were six of us in all staying there that night, one had previously booked an evening meal and the rest of us were there on a B&B basis, that was until five of us decided to all have dinner in the hotel together, which the head waiter started to arrange for us but then we added the sixth when our other friend decided he wanted to join us - again this was no trouble for the hotel staff even though we had sprung all this on them with little notice.

Regarding the food, the evening meal is a three course meal with not a great choice on the menu, however, the breakfast was excellent with a good and plentiful choice.

As stated the Derwent Hotel is a maze of a place, it has two swimming pools and we even stumbled across an indoor crown green bowling area where two games were being played at the same time. All this is in addition of several bars in the hotel and an outdoor swimming pool too.

Other than the tricky business of getting my father in law, and his wheel chair around this warren of the hotel, I really liked and rated the Derwent and think it is deserving of more than just two stars - we will certainly return to the Derwent, if and when we have the good fortune to head back to Torquay

Room Tip: As this is an older hotel the layout of the place is not the best for disabled visitors, but not impossible.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for posting your review. We have a full accesss statement for each hotel on our website. This is a useful tool if you are think of staying with us and have restricted mobility.
Regards