“should be a 3 star hotel”
Review of TLH Derwent Hotel

TLH Derwent Hotel
Ranked #20 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Newport, United Kingdom
“should be a 3 star hotel”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed at the Derwent with a coach party of our dancing group.We had a great time there,food excellent,rooms lovely and clean + staff very helpful.We were able to dance most nights but there was other entertainment if you wanted it. There were a lot of children there but they didn,t bother us at all. Would love to come back again sometime.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maureen B
jgarside, General Manager at TLH Derwent Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thanks, we are glad you had a nice time and hope to see you again. Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I've been going for 25years and I will NOT be returning. In a nutshell, rude staff, extremely poor service, dirty, hair in food, and then a nice dose of food poisoning to travel home with. Wrote a letter to management complaining whilst still a resident, 2 days later had to ring to express my disgust. Only offered 'sincere apologies ' for my experience. I am now waiting for the general manager to return from annual leave to speak to me, which just sums up TLH, can no-one else deal with complaints? I have never had such a bad experience on holiday ever. I am disgusted and I repeat will not go back. I hope the management read these reviews!

Room Tip: Do not visit unless you want to experience food poisoning and be treated like a nobody
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KarenMarsden
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you did not enjoy this visit after your previously positive review of our hotel. We do not believe that your claim that we gave you food poisoning has any merit. We hold the highest level of local authority award for food hygiene available and carry out unannounced external food hygiene audits every other month. Our due diligence is at the highest levels. We cater for over 400 people a day and have had no other claims of this nature.
We remain surprised that Trip Advisor still published this review given the reviews title and claim without any foundation.
The reviewer asked for the General Manager to respond personally on return from annual leave and left a letter for my attention, this was responded to on the day I returned from annual leave.
We hope that this review is seen in the context of the other reviews surrounding it. Regards
Whitstable, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here for two nights in July 2014, but I doubt that we'll be back. Good points first: friendly staff, good breakfast, convenient location. If you are a family with children, there are two pools (indoor/outdoor) and some nice activities for children.

Downside: We must have had the very smallest room (#244) and even the walk-in shower was so small that my husband (who is thin) could barely get through the opening! And then of course, there was that wad of long black hair (I took a photo) that wasn't too nice in the shower when we got there! Our window would not open more than a few centimeters and it was unbearably hot. Neither of us could sleep very well in the heat, despite the small fan they brought, so we never even turned the bed covers back.... just slept on top! I did peek at some of the other rooms, when housekeeping was doing their thing, and some were much bigger and even had showers over a bathtub (our room did not) and the windows opened much wider than ours.

Although the location is good for walking into the town centre, the street is a bit shabby. And car parking was almost impossible! It's a large hotel (175 rooms, I was told) and is popular with coach groups and families. They do have entertainment (we didn't go as we were too tired) and a restaurant (we only had the breakfast there). If we had been able to stay in a different room, we might have considered returning.... but EVERYONE was complaining about the heat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a tub AND shower or a large walk-in shower. Avoid room #244 at all costs!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janie H
Thank you for your review. The weather has been excellent with temperatures exceeding that of the continent. We do not have air conditioning in our rooms, but do offer fans to our guests free of charge. Some of our rooms are compact, but we hope our guests find they have everything you need. Parking is limited, but free of charge. We have over 300 spaces that guests use on a first come first served basis. Disabled guests are able to reserve spaces if they are blue badge holders, by prior arrangement. Torquay remains one of the most popular seaside destinations in the UK and is for the most part very well maintained. It is a shame that your did not expierence our entertainment as this is of a very high standard and forms part of the holiday package. Kindest regards
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed with my wife for a week great staff nothing too much trouble. Good food in Aztec bar. Rooms very clean. Breakfasts really good. little land train stops at front door novel and convenient ideal for Torquay centre and sea front would recomend good for couples or families

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank julian p
Thanks for your review
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here again mid July 2014, lots of us, some very young, some elderly and everything in between, about 20 people in total. We have stayed here on a number of occasions and always come back as the facilities are great. We had the bed and breakfast package which is fine for us. Lunch can workout quite expensive if taken at the bar near the pool. The location is brill, the staff are friendly and helpful, the food is good, the entertainment is entertaining. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the main road seem to be a lot cooler than rooms facing the car parks
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MaFraFor
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

In my last review I commented on the appalling state of the car park & the lack of disabled entrances from the front and the back.

I have to say unfortunately not a thing has been done to address the car park the uneven, unsafe paving slabs remain.

The hotel advises people to use the fire exits from the car park and the lonely corridor on the lower ground floor to gain access.

I used the fire exits and am lucky to have any fingers left, I walked towards the fire exit the door was wide open as I approached a gust of wind slammed the door shut, if I had been a step or two further my fingers could have been in the door, there was no way to open the door again as it is a fire exit it can only be opened from the inside, I went to the other fires exit this also had slammed shut so there was no choice but to use the stairs.

In the hotel the room had been refurbished and looked much better however they had carpeted over the squeeky floorboards and not dealt with this major issue so whenever you walked around the room the people below must have been cursing me.

As is always the case the staff were very friendly, however in the restaurant the waiter had very little English and sometimes ended up with not what we asked for.

I still don't understand why you have to walk from the pool down the long corridor and down the stairs to the games room why has an entrance not been built nearer the pool end or even swap the games room and bowling green room over and open up the lonely corridor between the Derwent and the Victoria.

The complex could be much improved by making the corridors more open plan, the area around the pool where the old cafe hatch is is a waste it could have been incorporated into the Bistro but it stands there an eyesore, the whole complex needs looking at and what can be done with these dead areas.

One other thing to add the cleanliness of the room was not good this year, this is very unusual for the Derwent I hope this was a one off.

Room Tip: If you do not like noise do not have a room on the front of the hotel ask for the back.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sh3100
CLYDACH SWANSEA
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is very big with excellent accommodation, the restaurant,s have very good selection of meals.
It has also got very good entertainment in a few bars,indoor swimming pools and outdoor pools,
4 indoor bowls rinks and also 4 ten pin bowling lanes in the sports room.
We were down there on 11th to the 14th July 2014 with our bowls club and they also arranged 3 bowls matches on the Friday,Saturday, & Sunday.
We highly recommend this Hotel and hope to go there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends