“Very good hotel overall”
Review of TLH Victoria Hotel

TLH Victoria Hotel
Ranked #34 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This hotel has all the qualities required for a great stay. The reception staff is generally excellent. They are polite, helpful and very responsive with any queries. The room I had was spacious and clean, with hard comfortable beds and an excellent shower/bath. The breakfast is the standard english breakfast, with sausages, bacon, eggs and mushrooms.

I would have given the hotel five stars but for the lack of wi-fi in my room. It does not bother me too much, as I can use the 3G on my smartphone to access my e-mails, but it would have been nice if it does work. There was also a false fire alarm at 2 am in the morning. I thought the staff on duty could have made more active efforts to reassure people. I saw a group of elderly guests standing in the car park, without instructions or advice given by the staff on duty then.

I would have given 4 and a half stars if I could. Nevertheless, this is an excellent hotel and I would recommend it to people looking for a comfortable stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank victorngwl
There are newer reviews for TLH Victoria Hotel

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We enjoyed a very pleasant 5 night break at the Victoria Hotel. The accommodation is good and we had a nice room overlooking Torbay and The English Riviera Centre. Food was very good and the staff were pleasant and friendly. We stayed as private guests, although the Hotel is popular for groups and they have quite a few dancing and bowling breaks throughout the year. Facilities are excellent at the Hotel which is within easy travelling distance of the main tourist attractions in Torquay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wafe and I led a party of about 40 people on a holiday to South Devon recently based in the Victoria Hotel Torquay by the Travel Firm we employed. The Hotel was ideal in all respects. The bedrooms and bathrooms were spotless, the staff cheerful and very efficient, beautiful dining room and a wide range of choice of food both table d'hote, and a la carte charged extra. Wide range of choice at the buffet breakfast and high standerd of waiter(ess) service at dinner and breakfast.

We were allocated some self catering apartments to supplement our request for extra single accommodation and whereas the appartments were of a very high standard, older people found the approach via stairs and long passages somewhat difficult to manage.

I would fully reccomend the Victoria for any group holiday but private guests might feel somewhat overwhelmed by the number of coach parties staying there. The appartments would be ideal for families. Thoroughly recommended!

Room Tip: Some members of our party were troubled by noise from a party in the Derwent Hotel next door, so sta...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank William024
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here recently with my sister for a spa weekend mini break, have to say it was amazing the food was brilliantly served and enjoyed so much the room was immaculate and the spa was a dream aswell as the pool and steamrooms but the staff were impecable they were all so polite and helpful and made the trip so much better

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank kellym1992
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I recently attended a northern soul weekender at the victoria hotel in torquay,it was an event that ran from the thursday until sunday night.we that is my wife my brother and sister in law.We take on several northern soul events up and down the country,whitby,blackpool etc.throughout the year.This was our first time at Torquay having been tempted before but not taking the plunge but you can bet it wont be the last time we go.The whole event was well organised from start to finish and was a credit to the organisers and the hotel management staff they took the time to talk to most of the guests and were only to happy to go that extra mile to help make your stay more pleasant,So if any of you Soulies out there are looking for a classy venue to have a good well organised weekend then this is the venue you should consider.I know that there are thousands of you Soulies out there who are always on the lookout for that special venue,well in my humble opinion this is the one.Dont just take my word,ask around and get the jist.it really is a cracking weekend.
Pete Kavanagh...Soul on Trent.

Room Tip: try to get a room upstairs,because the music goes on until the early hours for the four nights.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Peter K
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were attending a weekend conference at the Riviera Centre and this hotel was ideally placed, it being literally across the road. The very small car park outside Reception might seem a little off-putting on arrival, but there is ample parking available to the rear of the hotel, near the Conference Centre. Our room was pleasantly decorated and all facilities were in good working order, apart from the window latches, which allowed the windows to close gently by themselves. We were in 306, a corner room above the busy bar on Belgrave Road, which meant we were very grateful for the sound proofing afforded by the efficient double glazing of those windows. (Bringing an electric fan might be a sensible idea in hot weather!)
We were on half board, which was in such quantities that we didn't really need lunch. Breakfast was centred around self-service buffets for cereals, rolls, cold meats and a hot breakfast, with the opportunity to pile your plate high. Dinner also offered a self-service buffet for salads. However, most opted for the 3 course served meals, which were tasty and very filling. Wine was moderately priced, eg about £15 for a bottle of Zinfandel rosé.
The outstanding point about the hotel, however, was the staff. Each and every member that we met was very pleasant, friendly and keen to be of assistance with a big smile. A very good advertisement for the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank WIWOL92
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel, food and general décor are up to standard. The service is very good in the dining room. Unfortunately the main ballroom is off limits to sequence dancers as the M.C a Mr. Gary Littlewood and his wife will not play any requests, his manner is surly and if anyone complains he shouts and shows them the exit! We had paid for a dancing break and complained to the manager as most of the time we were NOT dancing. Management did nothing to alter this.
28 people from our coach party signed to say they were disgusted at the treatment we got and the verbal abuse from the M.C in the Warwick ballroom. The fire alarm went off on our last day at 3am. No apology from staff. We would not stay again.

Room Tip: Second floor was quiet and the room was very clean.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends