“Good........in parts!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Warwickshire UK
“Good........in parts!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

The Victoria has a lot going for it, but lets itself down in so many ways. It is a largeish hotel with good facilities for family and social activities. Some of the bedrooms are spacious, but the single rooms leave a lot to be desired. Some are very tiny and stiflingly hot!! A feeling of claustrophobia caused by the cupboard size feel to the room. If you are a single adult traveller, then I suggest you ask for a good deal on a small double room. Even the small doubles need a cool fan in the warm weather........so HOT!
The food is.......well....ok. There is nothing actually wrong with it, if you enjoy 'ready meals'. I am not saying that you are served a ready meal, it just tastes as if it could be. You know the sort; meat that is rather tasteless. You never smell the gorgeous aroma from the kitchen of a roast dinner (or any other meal) being cooked. Strange that. Could it be that the cooked meals have been mass produced else where, warmed up on site and served? Only the Victoria could answer that, and I may be totally wrong.......just my supposition.
The family entertainment is well received and there seems to be a lot going on for busy, happy children and teenagers. Shows and entertainment for the grown ups too. Entertainment wise I think people are well served.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the road, it is SO NOISY!! Ask for a fan, when checking in. If you don...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
John F, General Manager at TLH Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Victoria, as you are probably aware the TLH Resort is made up of four hotels but I can assure you that each of the hotels operates its own kitchen and indeed each hotel operates a differant menu, the Victoria kitchen is a split level and operates on two floors with the lower kitchen cooking the food and the upper kitchen which is directly above serving the food, I hope this answers your question on where the food is cooked. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the entertainment and you felt our facilities kept our younger guests fully occupied. Once again thank you for your comments and hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to the Victoria in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Just been to stay at this hotel for a week with my family. We paid to have a family superior room which said we got a front facing room. The room itself was so basic its untrue. There were only three of us in there and it was tiny!!! The room was on what they called the front, but if I was honest we should have paid less than the normal rooms as the noise from the karaoke bar on the corner was terrible!!!!! The beds were like board and was so old and hard and had no mattress protesters on them. The meals were not good either. We were there only a week and the meals were repeated three times in that short space of time with very limited choice. The entertainment was terrible and so unprofessional!!!!! no wonder no body stayed in the main entertainment lounge at night. One night at 11 oclock the fire alarm went of. lots of guests were stood on the corrider wondering if they should go out, and once the alarm had gone of not one member of staff came to tell us everything was ok, it took a guest to go up to all the floors to tell everyone. Infact the only staff we did see were the staff in the dining area which I must say were lovely!!!!!!
This hotel is not cheap and I don't know where they got the star rating from......needs to up its game...give it a miss.....

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your coments regarding your recent stay at the Victoria, I was disapointed to read that you did not enjoy your break but cannot understand why you did not raise these points during your stay as we would have done everything possible to put things right for you, our menu is designed to cover a period of 14 days to try and make sure we do not duplicate dishes during breaks and with a choice of 3 starters and 4 mains each evening do not understand your comments regarding a limited option also we are always happy to discuss options if nothing on the menu suits. We offer 4 differant caberet options every evening at this time of year and normaly receive good reviews I can only apologise that you did not enjoy them. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay but do wish you had let us know at the time.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Having stayed in this hotel around 8 years we decided to visit again. The room was nice and clean, nice view of the beach. Staff were lovely and couldn't do enough for us. Plenty of activities for everyone. We love the Aztec pool and new cafe area. The food was lovely but my only complaint was they wouldn't leave much time in between courses at dinner and always felt rushed.

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to be warmer
1 Thank EdnaJ541
John F, General Manager at TLH Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review of your recent stay with us at the Victoria and firstly I was pleased to read that you felt your room was nice and clean and that you enjoyed the view of the beach from your room and that you thought we put on plenty of activities. I have passed on your comments to the team as they really do try to ensure our guests enjoy their breaks and are always pleased when their efforts are recognised. I can only apologise that whilst you enjoyed the food you felt the service was a bit rushed, if you had mentioned this to your waiter or waitress they would have been quite happy to allow a break in between courses. Finaly all I can add is do not leave it another 8 years before your next visit.
rotherham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Booked last minute for 2 adults and 2 children (6 and 9). We all had a great time. Although the hotel in places does need a bit of sprucing up the facilities for children are fantastic and if you get the good weather as we did it really does feel as if you are abroad. My only gripe would be that the outdoor pool needs to be warmer, it did put a lot of people off, including my children at times.
Entertainment team work really hard. Also need to say how impressed we were with the waitresses at meal times, nothing was too much trouble and were so friendly, they really are a credit to the hotel. Kids are already asking when we can go back!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at the Victoria Hotel and firstly can I say how pleased I was to read that you all had a great time and that you found our childrens facilities to be fantastic. I must admit I have a real aversion to cold water so I will ask somebody else to check the outdoor pool and if we can try and make it warmer. I was really pleased to read that you felt our waiting team were impressive and that they really looked after you. Finaly we look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the not too distant future.
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at THL leisure resort Victoria Hotel for a dance weekend and to be honest expectations were low. This turned out to be far from correct,the hotel,food,room were all good,but the staff were awesome,nothing too much trouble and always seemed to have a smile on their faces

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 2tapstim
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your extremely positive review of your recent visit to the Victoria, I was pleased to read that we had surpassed your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay, I have passed on your comments to the team as they really do appreciate reading that their efforts are recognised and finaly may I add that we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just returned home from spending last week at The Victoria Hotel with my wife and daughter. As myself being a Hotel Maintenance Manager and my wife a Head Housekeeper, we can be critical of where we stay. However our stay was faultless in every way. Room (330} was spotless and decor was in very good order. Food was excellent, good choices and plentiful. The staff were very good, always greeted us with a smile, helpful in every way. The restaurant manager even chased after us to say goodbye as he saw we were leaving. Its nice touches like this that makes the difference. The General Manager should be very proud of the team he has and the way the hotel runs. The hotel complex is huge and caters for all ages and different tastes.

We were so impressed we have already booked 3 rooms for next year !!

John F, Manager at TLH Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your glowing endorsement of your recent stay at the Victoria, it is always pleasing to read such a review from people who are in the business and who understand how much work goes into getting it right. I have passed on your comments to the rest of the team as they all take great pleasure in reading that our guests have enjoyed their stay and in answer to your question yes I am proud of the team at the Victoria. Finaly we look forward to welcoming you back next year.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I went to torquay to visit my daugters and we all stayed in a family room. Staff are really friendly. Food was amazing. Didn't take full advantage of all the amenities as only there for the weekend. Am definitely going back to have a spa break.

• Stayed June 2014
      Rooms
John F, Manager at TLH Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to give your very positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Victoria, I was extremely pleased to read that you had enjoyed all aspects of your stay, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.