“Bar Staff”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Bar Staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

After visiting the Grand Hotel on Friday evening 30th August I felt I had to make a comment regarding my visit. On arrival we sat down& waited for at leased 10 minutes to be served by a girl who was obviously under pressure noting this we looked at the male staff behind the bar they looked very stern no smiling faces and were infact simply bullying the under staff. Later on in the evening the two behind the bar had an argument with jugs of milk being slammed on the bar & arguments taking place in front of customers. Not what I expect at the Grand Hotel. I have noticed on previous stays with you that your staff all look unhappy & the managers seem to intimidate & argue with them all the time. On leaving there was no goodnights or thankyou's ..... Very disappointed.Shall I stay with you again....It would be very doubtfull. Mr G Gillard

1 Thank Carole B

“Go to the marina restaurant instead !!!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

My partner and I went to the Marina Restaurant last night thinking of saving the best to last at the Grand Hotel with it having two AA Rosette Stars. BIG MISTAKE fish cake starter only tasted of lemon and just edible. More than can be said for the mussels for main course. To be polite.. i would have enjoyed drinking sea water more than eating this dish. It was bland and very very very salty. As it was my birthday I sent it back and asked to speak with the so called award winning chef bit he declined my offer ! The cheek !! In honesty I have thought my teenage children to cook better food. I'm gutted what a total waste of time :-( rather stay at Travel Lodge

3 Thank Devonboydaxza
Brixham
“New menu in Compass Cafe Bar...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Another excellent lunch in the Compass Cafe Bar on 24 June 2013 with excellent service from Viktorija who has served us before and remembered us which was very pleasant considering how busy the cafe bar can be.
The new menu offers plenty of choice and we had a favourite the Grand Club sandwich and the new season Chicken Caesar salad both of which were wonderfully fresh tasting and plenty big enough.
We enjoyed a bottle of Jack Rabbitt Merlot; a litre of sparkling water and a pot of coffee.
From our table we had a wonderful view across the bay. We will return for lunch again soon.

• Visited June 2013
Scotland, United Kingdom
“A disorganised shambles with overpriced food and large tour groups”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Upon arrival the four of us decided on pre dinner drinks in the bar.

We asked the waitress for the restaurant menus so we could peruse them over our drinks, she disappeared and came back a few minutes later and said the restaurant was too busy to give us menus.

Once we finished our drinks we asked for the bill to be to be transferred to our table - we were told this was impossible and we would have to pay now at the bar.

Once seated in the somewhat old fashioned and dilapidated restaurant it started to dawn on us what sort of place this was.

The breakfast buffet took up almost the entire length of the dining room and had been covered in table cloths to hide it. There were several large tour groups (either coach or train trips) on large tables who were very noisy and even had some sort of presentation with the hotel staff.

We were finally given our menus and were then pestered every minute by both the wine waiter and our table waiter for our choices.

When the wine arrived the wine waiter asked us each in turn which glass he should use as he didn't know and how much he should pour into each glass. Obviously not his fault - he just hadn't received even five minutes training.

The food was OK - I had mackerel pate which was sloppy and served with an anemic looking single quarter of toast followed by chicken which was unremarkable. For two very plain courses we were each charged £24.95 - no doubt the tour groups who were eating off the same menu were charged something more like £5 per head.

We couldn't face deserts or coffee as the noise from the large tour groups was now unbearable.

Overall the cost of the meal was more than a fantastic lunch at the Elephant the previous day.

Never visit this restaurant unless you're on a package deal.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Patrick P
English Riviera, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have had many Sunday Lunches at the Grand Hotel. The food is excellent, menu varied, served by staff who know their 'stuff' in beautiful surroundings. It is excellent value for money = why eat at home when its this good? .

• Visited March 2013