“Great food, excellent value - but if you don't ask you don't get”
Review of The Heritage Hotel

The Heritage Hotel
Ranked #115 of 150 Torquay B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great food, excellent value - but if you don't ask you don't get”
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Didn't stay here, so can't comment on the accomodation, but we ate here twice whilst staying in Torquay on holiday. Food was excellent, and really good value. Bar prices were reasonable too, but my complaint about the bar is that they have loads of special offers (two for one, etc), but they don't tell you about them. I bought quite a large round, and only when I was getting the second lot of drinks did I notice that they were 2 for one after 8pm. The barman (owner?) initally refused to 'reimburse' me for under serving me the previous time and in the end only gave me one pint free. It's a shame as what's obviously intended to pull customers in through good value, only resulted in me feeling I'd been somehow diddled.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Courthmp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2010

The fabric of the hotel has been allowed to deteriorate which is a pity as it is apparent that it was once a nice building, with decent rooms.
The breakfast on the first morning was excellent as there were only half a dozen guests staying on the Friday night, Sunday morning’s breakfast was okay but when we sat down to eat at 9am, it was cold. We had a seafood platter on the Friday evening which was poor, so we went to the Beefeater next door to eat Saturday night and the food there was very good.
The presence of door staff early in the day suggests there is potential for trouble in the bar, however there was none on the Friday night but I would advise anyone who likes to party to find another location. That is what we did Saturday night.
I would not use this hotel again, there has to be a reason why they ask for payment on arrival!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank KWSharp
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2010

This is the second time I have stayed here the first time was on my own in the summer, I thought it was ideal so stayed at the hotel in October half term with my children (8 and 4) it was a perfect base for us to explore the local area for a couple of nights. I picked this hotel because of its location and the swimming pool, we used it both days we were there. We had a great big room overlooking the sea for the 3 of us, very clean with comfy beds. The kids thought the TV was great because it had freeview and showed cbeebies!! The bathroom was very clean but a little old with clean fluffy towels. Breakfast was very good (in the restaurant overlooking the sea) full english breakfast, toast, tea, coffee and a selection of cereal and juice. We ate in the restaurant the first night - excellent value for money. The staff were really friendly and helpful, great hotel not too big and inpersonable, I felt very comfortable there as a single mum with my kids. The only down fall of the hotel is that the bar gets very busy at the weekends with bands playing - other than that its a really great hotel - will be returning.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2010

All the staff were very welcoming, friendly and informative. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable with lovely sea view and in a good location being close to all amenities. The added bonus was the indoor pool which was most welcome after plenty of walking. There was some disturbance from other guests due to the age of the building but this did not detract from a very enjoyable break.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We needed a Hotel On the seafront, with sea views, and an indoor swimming pool and that is what we got. The bedroom was large and very comfortable.My Husband enjoyed the spa bath very much. I was able to swim every day and the pool was warm,the sauna hot and the jacuzzi spacious. Granted Appleby's (bar) got a bit hectic at weekends but we were warned when we booked but quite frankly everything was organised beautifully the music stopped at 11pm and as we are both nearer 80 than 70 we enjoyed watching the youngsters partying.The breakfasts were adequate,perhaps some fruit would have been nice.The food served during the day and evenings was well presented and delicious. all in all we had a great time.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2010

if you want to be kept up most of the night and pay through the nose for the pleasure this is the hotel for you,room very very dated needs total refurbisment.bathroom dirty bath plug hole filled with hair.downstairs pub has extremely loud music until midnight, then stragglers shouting and talking for another couple of hours.breakfast was the worst ive experienced in the last 30 years.all this and they have the cheek to charge you £80 they should have paid me.this experience has put me off torquay for life,wont be going back

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank icemannn

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2010

2 Night stay in September 2010.
Start with positive - Location is very good and the view from the room was lovely. Breakfast was served fresh and tasty.

Odd Bit - On arrival you have to pay in full for your stay. They have had many issues with none paying clients.

We didnt use the pool so I am unable to comment on this.

Room - Paid £80 per night (inc breakfast) The room itself is OK,, tea and coffee in room, TV & Hairdryer -but it was falling apart! we couldnt close the window fully in our 'suite' as it was broken, but great view. The bathroom was dated and fittings slightly rusted. Shower - hose over bath, was hot or cold with little pressure. I think the price of the room is excessive for the quality of the room & hotel.

Our main issue - Applebys Bar - Hen and Stag parties meant the bar was extremely full.
On one evening there was a huge fight with glasses being thrown which spread out to the car park and a mass of policecars, not quite what I had expected when I was booking a romantic weekend!

We wont be visiting this hotel again, this hotel has potential but the bar is only for those wanting a lively, boozy time.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple