“Great Budget Holiday”

Ranked #33 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Budget Holiday”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My daughter and I decided to go to Torquay as cheap as we could this year as we have a more expensive holiday coming up. On checking Torquay Travelodge I found that if we avoided Saturdays nights we could go very cheaply indeed, £178 !!! We booked in on a Sunday and left the following Saturday (6 nights). We had a family room for the 2 of us consisting of a king size bed and a single bed which were very comfortable, we slept very well. We did not want our room servicing but we were left supplies in a bag ouside our room twice. It was one of the updated Travelodges although I believe it has only been a Travelodge for 5 years and nothing like the original hotel ( I did stay when it was an hotel years ago) There are two cars parks but I think you do have to pay, we travelled by train and Torre station is 3 minutes up the road. Its is quite a walk into Torquay but there are two bus stops right outside the Travelodge with a regular bus service every 15 minutes. My daughter bought a weekly bus ticket for about £17 which we worked out at about £1 a journey over the 7 days. We joined our train going home at Torquay and the same bus takes us to the station.Of course the cost of the stay did not include food but as usual there is a cafe in the hotel which offers a good choice of food. We did choose to eat out but that was just our choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

2 Thank gwg2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Dereham
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Pleasant stay but lift wasn't working all week, the room was really hot no air con only a cheap fan to keep you cool. The breakfast was good but the price is getting way to expensive! Wifi should be free and there was not a plug point by the mirror.

4 Thank Tct22
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Within walking distance of Torquay. Railway and bus service nearby. Standard good quality accommodation. Car parking limited and you are not guaranteed a space even though you have prepaid for 24 hours. Only two teabags supplied per room for each 24 hr period. We bought our own to supplement but not enough milk supplied| No alternative to cooked breakfast at full cost.

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

2 Thank Jacinta B
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This was your average Travelodge. Arrived about an hour early and couldn't check in due to restrictions in the computer system. Parking is charged (£3for 24hrs) but if you head out you might not get parking later in the evening.

Basic rooms what you expect at all travelodges. Clean. Basic customer service.

Very popular with Bachelor parties so quite rowdy and we were woken once in the night with other guests arriving back.

Out of town - about 5-10min drive to the harbour side.

Small dining area - there was a long queue for breakfast when we left. (Luckily we got in early!)

Ok if you pay about £30 but if you end up paying more I'd look at the surrounding B&Bs.

2 Thank leisa_down_under
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned home following a stay at Travelodge, Torquay . I was with my husband & daughter and only stayed one night.
I've read a few of the reviews but I can ,obviously, only give an opinion. on my personal experience.

I had a family room which had a king size bed and two pullout beds. Both pullout beds had been made up though I'm not sure why. We would have had a little extra space if only one had been pulled out. This isn't a complaint though.

The room cost me £45 which I thought was fantastic for three people. We didn't book breakfast as we were arranging to meet up with another family member. The room was very clean. The bed large and comfortable and I would have loved to have taken the pillows home! The room wasn't very large , giving very little room at the foot of the beds to get to the dressing table. There were no drawers and the wardrobe was a short pole coming off the wall with hangers attached. There was one shelf above it. This was no problem for my purpose but I could understand it being inadequate for guests staying more than 2-3 nights.

Parking was difficult, though I was advised by the male receptionist that there were usually spaces on the road and would not cost anything. There is an overflow car park at the back of the hotel which was more convenient for me as our room was at the back and there was a door to get in from there. Unfortunately there was no space when we returned in the evening but we had no problem parking on the road outside and I did not have to worry about parking charges.

Al I needed was somewhere for us to sleep the night without paying a fortune and that is what we got. I would definitely go back for a short stay.

1 Thank christine m
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Good things about this Hotel are its location. Leave your car in the car park once you get a parking spot and use the bus. Theres a fantastic bus service from right outside the hotel. Buses to the seafront/ other resorts are every 10 minutes The rooms are well maintained but again we're stuck with a tiny clothes hanging area...no drawers and on very uncomfortable chair! We appreciate that we don't spend lots of time in the room but at the end of a day ALL the guests in the room like a comfy chair to sit in. It's our second stay here and although some of the staff are the same, they haven't improved their customer service skills. Very disinterested.

Room Tip: ask for a top floor room...at the back this is a particularly noisy hotel. Smoking area is outside g...
1 Thank Carole P
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Excellent position for main town and also M5 to the North or as resting point prior to going into Cornwell the next day. Rooms okay beds good, showers good,thats all I need and a cup of tea. Does a breakfast but no fried eggs a bit dear compared to a Weatherspoons but passable. On a good bus route into town and next door to Torre railway station. Its not the Ritz I only stay to sleep not look at furniture and marvel why Ive paid so much to look at it. I find these hotels good places for quick breaks.

Room Tip: Again like a few others as you walk into and out of the main entrance this is where the smokers so y...
1 Thank Christopher C