“If you get an offer - check the small print”
Review of Templestowe Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Templestowe Hotel
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Magor, United Kingdom
“If you get an offer - check the small print”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We had an offer, and very good it was, £89 for four nights dinner bed and breakfast, with a 99p bar 11 a.m - 11 p.m. and a £10 per person charge for a sea view if you wanted it. We arrived at 1 p.m. and the room was not ready - no problem - off to the bar. First mistake, the 99p bar was after you had booked in and got a card to show. Second mistake; gin was 99p but a tonic cost £1.46! Third and greatest mistake was having asked for a sea view room we didn't say not room 207 and not one where the extractor fan from the kitchen wound up at 06:30hrs - 10:00hrs & 17:00hrs until 21:00hrs - this necessitated closing the windows to cut down the noise and fumes made worse by the fact that we had a sunny day!

Having said that if future clients note the cautions above they will be treated to good food and plenty of it, served good and hot by friendly staff. The entertainment is good especially that provided by the manager and her staff. You need to time your arrival so as to avoid the nightly bingo but then you don't get a very good seat. Solution, arrive early, take a book, IPod and earplugs.

Room Tip: See above. If you want the walk in shower with sea view make certain you don't get 207.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NevMeg
LizHotel, General Manager at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we appreciate all of our guest’s feedback.
The special offer booked through Majestic Tours for £89.00 for four nights, dinner, bed & breakfast plus the 99p pence bar is an absolute astounding value holiday. The brochure clearly states that only certain beverages are included and mixers such as tonics are not included in this however all coke, lemonade, soda and cordial mixers are. I have spoken with Majestic Tours to ensure that for future holidays, guests are fully aware that the 99 p bar allowance is only redeemable once all guests have officially checked in at 1.30 pm and after. I am sad that you felt this marred your holiday with us.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your bedroom, £10 per person for a sea view is another good value upgrade. All our bedrooms are different sizes, some sea view and others not. Some bedrooms are near the extractor which we keep on as minimal as possible, however to comply with Health and Safety we must keep it on especially whilst our kitchen brigade work.
I hope that this is an adequate response to the issues raised and I am pleased that you enjoyed our entertainment programme and I will pass on your comments to the Head Chef.
I hope to welcome you back in the near future for another great value, entertainment packed stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Somerset
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We have just spent a weekend with friends at Templestowe Hotel on a self drive weekend and had a fantastic time. Rooms were well decorated and furnished and they were spotlessly clean - we also had a lovely sea view. Bed was really comfortable and in the bathroom there was a good hot shower (plus bath if preferred) and plenty of towels available. Food was excellent with a varied menu to suit everyone and the entertainment was first class - far better than we had expected and to top it all the drinks were only 99p! We could not believe what was available for the price . The Manager Liz and her staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the Hotel had a really nice atmosphere. I always read reviews before we go anywhere and had already been impressed by the number of good reviews and the fact that Liz responds to reviews and if there is any negativity says what has been done to address any issues raised but we had also been told by a friend who had stayed at Templestowe a couple of times already that it was really nice there. To top it all when we walked into the Hotel we met two couples we knew who were also there for the weekend and they had already stayed at Templestowe a couple of times previously. They told us we were in for a treat which was certainly the case. We were so impressed with our stay that I have just booked for the four of us to return for a 5 day Turkey and Tinsel break in October so we are all looking forward to that. Ros Ilminster

Room Tip: We had a sea view and it seems from some of the comments I've read that these rooms are probably...
3 Thank SomersetClan
Thank you for your wonderful review, I am so happy that you had a fantastic time with us. Many of our guests visit us several times over the year and always enjoy the friendliness of the staff and the top entertainment programme we offer.
As always I will be passing on your comments to the team and I look forward to welcoming you all back for Turkey & Tinsel, where we have some great new shows and menus lined up.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I have just had a lovely weekend at TheTemplestowe Hotel with my husband and we both thought it was very nice staying there. Our room was clean bright and nicely furnished but we had a front bedroom so the traffic was a bit noisy for a good night sleep however The staff were friendly. The food tasty with choices and the entertainment every evening was excellent..We will look forward to going back there again.

Room Tip: Better to try for a room at the back of the hotel.
1 Thank pandy110
LizHotel, General Manager at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you had a lovely weekend with us. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the hotel team and look forward to welcoming you back.
Chard
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night holiday at the Templestowe. This was the third time we have stayed there and were not disappointed as usual. The hotel is welcoming and friendly. The choice of food and the service is excellent. The nightly entertainment is the better than we have experienced in any other hotel. It is at the top of the town but there is an excellent bus service to the sea front and other areas of Torbay.

2 Thank Margaret L
Thank you Margaret for taking the time to write your review, I am thrilled that you had another excellent holiday with us. We look forward to welcoming you back for your forth visit.
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Thank you to Liz and her team we had a fabulous holiday. Room was very clean and comfortable. Food was lovely with a good choice. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Made use of the pool and it was like a warm bath. Good entertainment nightly with much variety. Most certainly be coming back. Thank you again.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Judi Osborne
LizHotel, General Manager at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
Dear Judi, I am delighted that you had a fabulous holiday with us. All the Templestowe Team work extremely hard to satisfy all of our guests and they will be elated by your comments. I and the rest of the team look forward to welcoming you back.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I stayed at the Templestow the first week of the Olympics, with my wife. We paid a modest upgrade fee for a slightly larger room with sea veiws in our opinion well worth it. The room was neat and tidy cleaned daily with fresh towels if required.Tea and coffee, flat screen freeveiw t.v. and ample storage space. The bed was comfy I think I was asleep most nights as soon as my head hit the pillow.
Food at the hotel was good it was nice and hot and there was enough choice so as i didnt have to worry about not likeing certain dishes.
The staff at the hotel are always up for a good natter and seemed to enjoy working there.
The shows they put on are excellent family entertainment.
I have noticed that many people mention the age of the guests well as a couple myself and my wife are in our late 40s. I would say that the average age of the guests whilst we where there was around 60 going on 21. I think they could teach us a thing or two about enjoying ourselves!!!
Well done Templestow we had a realy nice 5 day midweek stay.

Room Tip: Go for the room upgrade rm 107 stunning views
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PAULR1379
LizHotel, General Manager at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I will pass on all your comments to the team and look forward to welcoming you back.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Just returned from a lovely stay at this hotel. Staff very friendly,food excellent, entertainment superb .Stayed in a single room which I did not have to pay a supplement for (there aren't a lot of hotels that do this especially in the height of the tourist season]
I have stayed at this hotel many times and will be returning, my thanks go out to all the staff and our coach driver Esmond for their warm and friendly welcome.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking pool area tend do be quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Betty233
LizHotel, General Manager at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Many thanks for your wonderful review. We really do appreciate our guests taking the time to share their experiences. I will pass on your comments to all the staff, who work extremely hard to ensure that all our guests have a great holiday. I look forward to welcoming you back.