“A Proper Turkey and Tinsel Break”
Review of Templestowe Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Templestowe Hotel
Ranked #14 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“A Proper Turkey and Tinsel Break”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My cousin and I stayed at the Templestowe Hotel Torquay from 6 to 9 February 2014, taking advantage of one of Majestic's themed breaks. The hotel had been doing Turkey and Tinsel breaks since September 2013 and we were on one of the last breaks (until they start again later this year.)

The hotel had many attractive Christmas decorations and there were lots of lovely lights - the hotel was very festive.

We were greeted by friendly staff (and 2 budgies) at reception and given our room key without delay. Although not as opulent as the Durrant House Hotel in Bideford (with marble features, ceiling artwork and carp in the pond at reception), the Templestowe Hotel has many original features including ornate plasterwork.

Our room was spacious and had a seaview, albeit restricted because we were on the ground floor. The beds were very comfy and clean.

Our first night was "Christmas Eve" and to get us in the mood, shortly after arrival, there was a "meet and greet" meeting where bubbly and mince pies were served.

Throughout our stay there was waiter/waitress service in the dining room, and food was cooked to order at breakfast time. There was a good selection of cereals, with proper Weetabix and good quality museli.

Evening meals were pre-ordered at breakfast and there was always a good selection of starters, mains and desserts. Vegetarians are well catered for.

At dinner on "Christmas Day" the turkey was piped in by a chap in full highland dress and Santa also paid us a visit.

"Boxing Day and Hogmanay" were combined with the New Year being seen in in the traditional manner.

Throughout the stay entertainment was laid on. Bingo was available at afternoon and evening sessions.

The comedians were good and it was good to see that jokes could be funny without having to be told in a crude manner.

On our final night the Majestic Dancers put on a great show and the star singer, Ruby Washington, had an amazing voice.

In summary, we had a great break. A number of the other guests we spoke to were on their fourth visit, so clearly Majestic have got their package break spot on.

We will certainly be back again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 57caff
Laura C, Manager at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely comprehensive review of your “Carry on Christmas” break. I am so pleased you had a great stay with us and I shall pass on your comments to the whole team and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The food and entertainment was second to none.if we get a summer this year I will return. This was my second Christmas and will go back in December 2014. The staff (all of them) were brilliant and hope the transition from Christmas to ww2 theme went smoothly.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank keefamistrad
Laura C, Manager at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Thank you so much for writing your review, I am thrilled you enjoyed another Carry on Christmas break. All the staff worked extremely hard and transformed the hotel from Christmas to our 1940’s War time theme, We’ll Meet Again which is now in full flow. As with all comments, I shall pass them on to the team and look forward to seeing you again in December if not before.
hampshire
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Had a lovely weekend ,this was our second visit for the Turkey and Tinsell and was as good second time round.The hotel lovely and warm,beds very comfortable,food good with a good variety. Staff very helpfull,entertainment was excellent. Looking forward to next year.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
I am so pleased you had another lovely weekend with us. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and look forward to seeing you again next year.
Liskeard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We have just enjoyed a wonderful short break at this hotel and will definitely return. The rooms were a lovely size and the cleaner kept it looking lovely. We enjoyed our meals with a choice every evening and a good choice for breakfast. The staff were very friendly and it was good to see a full hotel in January. Well done everyone for giving us a lovely time

1 Thank Mag16_12
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased you had an enjoyable short break with us and I hope to welcome you back very soon.
Exeter
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This was our first visit and for a well travelled and discerning couple I have to say that the Templestowe offers outstanding value for money. It's a top of the range Majestic standard establishment. The staff from reception to bar to restaurant to housekeeping were all pleasant and efficient, our room was large and very clean with a practically new bathroom. The meals were better than I expected, good choice, hot, fresh vegetables. The entertainment was varied. This place "does what it says on the can". 90% were coach clients, we were self drive but we all enjoyed ourselves. Ours was a Turkey and Tinsel (last weekend in January) and I'd go again but on a different themed weekend. Well done to the Templestowe.

1 Thank oldrunnerExeter
I am delighted that you had a lovely first stay with us.
All the Templestowe Team appreciate you taking the time to write your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Exmouth
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My wife & I spent a wonderful 3 day break at this hotel this week-end from 31st Jan - 3rd Feb, the room was very clean with a large bathroom, the restaurant food was excellent and the waiter's were so efficient, the bar facilities were also very good, the drinks and wine were below standard prices. I must say all the staff were very courteous, happy natured and more than willing to please the guests. My wife & I travel all over the UK & abroad and usually enjoy a hotel's entertainment, but the Templestowe Hotel have entertainment every evening and it was by far the best we ever had the pleasure to enjoy, hats-off to them they were true professionals, on our last evening, they provided a variety show with many artists, what a great night. We would recommend a break at this hotel, truly value for money, we will most definitely return soon!

Room Tip: The lower ground floor rooms are quite spacious.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jimmyD-S11
Laura C, Manager at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for your lovely complimentary review which which will be passed on to all the staff to read. The whole team really appreciate you taking the time to write your review as they work extremely hard to ensure all our guests have a wonderful visit. We have some excellent entertainment filled breaks coming up so I hope to welcome you both back in the near future.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is the forth time that my wife and I have visited the hotel and each time seems a little better. The room we had this time was superbly decorated with all new furnishings,the hotel was well heated .The entertainment was excellent and staff served us well unable to fault the food look foreward to my next visit.

Phil T

Room Tip: room on Southh side are quieter
2 Thank Phil T
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time to write your review and I look forward to welcoming you back for your fifth visit.