“A pleasant surprise.”
Review of Templestowe Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Templestowe Hotel
Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I booked a 5 day/4 night coach trip to the hotel as a birthday gift to myself, not really knowing what to expect, but I'm glad I did as the whole trip was very enjoyable. The hotel was very efficiently run and (it seemed to me) that everything went like clockwork. It's clear that the staff are all well trained and that helps things go so smoothly.
The journey by coach from Bristol to Torquay was stress-free and on arriving, we were allocated our rooms and asked to go to the restaurant a little later to have a table place allotted for the stay. My case arrived at my door in seeming no time at all so I had plenty of time to unpack before finding the restaurant and being shown where my table was. (I was really fortunate with the people I was to sit with, 3 very nice ladies who took me under their wing for the stay.) The restaurant is large with good views of the gardens and the waiters were all very attentive & eager to accommodate any requests. The food wasn't bad at all with a good choice of starter/main/dessert each evening. The breakfasts were good too & certainly kept me going until lunchtime.
My single room was plenty big enough for me with more storage space than needed and a partial view of the sea. I also had the ventilation pipe near my window but that wasn't a problem as the extractor was turned off shortly after the evening meals had finished being served. The bed was very comfortable - firm but not hard - so sleep wasn't a problem either.
The day trips that came with the package were good though not many went for the one to Dartmoor due to the amount of travelling involved. That's a shame as there was some spectacular scenery to be enjoyed and it was nice to see the ponies roaming wild. The drivers were very knowledgeable, pointing out place of interest as we went as well as some history of the area.
Now, the evening entertainment. I didn't go to the bingo though my tablemates enjoyed it and didn't think I'd like the main sections of the cabaret-type entertainment but I was pleasantly surprised, not only by the content and variety but also at the sheer professionalism of all involved. I'm sure that such entertainment would be quite costly in a theatre so it made the price of the holiday even better value.
Overall, I'm very happy to have booked the trip and can see why some people go there several times a year. I made a lot of friends which is really the whole point of these kinds of holiday I guess. Would I go back? Yes, I believe I would/will.

Room Tip: It's probably worth paying a little extra for a room with a view of the sea. (It's over ther...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Martin_Cube
Laura C, Manager at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I appreciate you sharing your experience of the Templestowe and I am delighted you had a wonderful first stay with us. The whole team are truly grateful for you taking the time to write such lovely comments and I have congratulated them all for their continued hard work. I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

There are newer reviews for Templestowe Hotel

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My sister and myself recently stayed at the Templestowe for the Theatre weekend. Our bedroom was excellent, the food of high standard, the staff very friendly, and of course the evening entertainment was fantastic. As we only live a short distance away we used our bus passes to get to Torquay. We were very pleased with our bedroom and we didn't mind sharing a large table for meals as we had a chance to make a few friends. We are looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank pat237
Laura C, Manager at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

I am delighted you enjoyed your theatre weekend with us. We take pride in the fact we offer great value entertainment filled breaks and it is important to receive your valuable feedback. Thank you for writing your review and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Just spent a great weekend at the Templestow, Staff are first class, good entertainment,
nice rooms,
will not hesitate to go again, looking forward to recieving their future offers.
regards
denis routley

Room Tip: we were overlooking the pool, which was great
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
mark w, Owner at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2015

Thank you Mr Routley for taking the time to review the Templestowe. You generous words are appreciated by all the team. See you again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hotel ok food was nice and the entertainment was first class the only complaints are about the room no 117 was over the kitchen and unbearably hot we could not open the window when the kitchen was working because of the noise from the large extractor fan right out side our window it was very hot at night so not much sleep we had a lovely walk in shower but no soap dish so very difficult to use shampoo or shower gel as nowhere to put it except the floor and not much room to bend down would have been impossible if disabled such a small thing but causes problems but a nice break and very good value for the money paid the staff were really pleasant and helpful

Room Tip: Not over the kichen
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Margaret S
Laura C, Manager at Templestowe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I appreciate you sharing your experience of the Templestowe. I have reported to our maintenance team the soap dish was missing from 117 and they will replace this immediately. We have to run the kitchen extractor (the extractor does not run at night) whilst the kitchen team are working to ensure the working environment is in accordance to our health and safety policy. I am pleased you had a pleasant stay with us and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Templestowe Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Right from the start when we were picked up in Fareham, Hants at 8am until we were dropped off again five days later,at 5 pm, nothing could have been better. We arrived at the Hotel about 1 pm where everything was there ready and waiting for us. Room keys, drinks passes and info all in an envelope. We were directed to our rooms where our luggage was waiting outside our doors. Pity there is only one lift, but then there is always a shortage of lifts when a whole coach load of passengers arrive together. We were in a pary of 31 and were welcomed by the hotel management with a drink in the Ballroom and also shown where we would be sitting in the large dining room for the length of our stay. The Dining Room is large, plenty of room and the food throughout our stay was very good with good waiters and selection. Choices for our evening dinner were selected at Breakfast from a full menu, which meant there was no waiting arround in the evening to start eating.
Our bedroom was fresh and spotless, recently been refurbed to a high standard. The corridors could also do with a refurb, but then, we didn' t live in the corridors.The bar area, dining room and various loungers were perfect. Large TV in a seperate lounge for those that wished to watch the World Cup on TV. We saw England dive!! Nice looking swimming pool filled with clear water and set within a pretty flowered garden although we were not brave enough to venture in the water, although it was heated.
The Hotel, which is run by Majestic, with its own coaches stands withing a short walking distance from the centre of and overlooking Torquay, however it is a bit of a drag back from the front, but plenty of busses and the use of outrOAP bus passes was handy. During the day we were taken by coach to the surrounding places of interest although we were quite free to do as we wished. Plenty to do in and arround Torquay. Entertainment within the Hotel, each evening, was perfect. A short Bingo session with good cash prizes, then the main acts for the evening. And excelent they all were. Thankfully no 'spanish hotel' type of embarasing items where members of the public are expected to make fools of themselves. We received free drinks of all types from 7 to 11pm each evening, with the bar closing about 11pm.
All in all a perfect holiday on home soil. Only one drawback. It was all too short. Excellent hotel, food and entertainment. Well done to all the staff of the Majestic. Pity we can't come under our own steam as it seems to be setup for packages. Terry, our coach driver for the duration was wonderful. Hope to be back again between our Continental Trips!

Room Tip: We were in 208, at the front but shaded from the heat of the sun.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Pete P

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I appreciate you sharing your experience of the Templestowe and I am delighted you had a wonderful stay with us. The whole team are truly grateful for you taking the time to write such lovely comments and I have congratulated them all for their continued hard work. I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We booked a long weekend coach package with Majestic to the above, with an evening free bar,and all excursions included,driver Paul was very entertaining and informative{is'nt that amazing was his stock phrase.We paid extra for a Sea view,the room was large,lots of storage space available,with a large bathroom with a walk in shower,however you only got a glimse of the sea.
Bar snacks and drinks were well priced.The food quality both at breakfast and evening meal was of a good standard.You were allocated a table on arrival for your stay,unfortunately all the tables were large.we had a table for 12 and were lucky with our fellow guests.The only downside was the early sitting at 6pm which we felt was too early.The free bar was run very efficiently,never any queries. The entertainment every evening was superb.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stuart927

Thank you for your comments, we pride ourselves on all aspects of our hotel and are pleased that our staff, entertainment, good food and excursions were appreciated. Guests can request a table for two however we are primarily a coaching hotel and tables are grouped together. The restaurant sittings are either 6.00 pm or 6.40 pm again you can request a later sitting with the Restaurant Manager. As with all reviews I shall pass on your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Templestowe in the near future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

went to hotel for weeks holiday, reception area nice and bright and clean, rooms are very good size lovely linen and very clean, restaurant maybe needs a little update but staff are great especially luke he was so attentive and knew his job, when we asked for various things no problem and straight away it was achieved, think he would be fab front of house because of his true love to please the customer enjoyed our week thankyou laura and staff but please move luke up because hes got more to give thankyou

Room Tip: sea view rooms are great
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank andrea052

Thank you for your review, I am so pleased you had a lovely holiday with us. I have spoken to Luke and he is so pleased his hard work was appreciated. It is always nice for our staff to get a special mention; they work tirelessly to ensure that all our guests have a great time whilst on holiday. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Templestowe in the near future.