“Pleasantly surprised”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was! Excellent value for money. Very good set menu, £14 for 3 courses, and the portion sizes were spot on. Will definitely pop back here when we visit Torquay again next year.

There are newer reviews for The Fountain

Reviewed 25 April 2013

We went on a Saturday night and there were 11 of us. Due to special dietry requirement I phoned the resturant 3 days prior to the meal and ask for my choices:

Starter: Rissotto either mushroom or pea & mint
Main Course : Plain chicked and salad
Dessert: Fruit salad

my requirements being gluten free, caffine free, alcohol free and low in fat. On arrival I checked that they had my order, which was confirmed. When the starter came it was a 'rissotto cake' with side salad and coleslaw and fried mushrooms. The 'cake' was in breadcrumbs and fried. On arrival I informed the waitress 'this is not a rissotto' and was told it was was, I then explained what a rissotto was and the that I specified exactly what sort of rissotto I wanted. She took it away to the chef to return a few minutes later with the same plate and what looked like the same cake with the breadcrumbs cut/scraped off. I did try a mouthful, it was tasteless and definately bound with egg and possibly flour, several friend tried it as well, the texture was awful and no taste, I did not eat it, I ate the side salad. When the main course eventually came it was pan fried chicken, served with fried mushrooms(again) and a jug of something, but no salad, the waitress said'gluten free' as she deposited it. I did ask for the salad that I had ordered much to her displeasure. There were vegatables on the table for all to help themselves to - carrot in butter, cauliflower cheese, sauted potatoes and new potatoes with butter. The waitress did return with a salad, which did look as though chunks of things in the kitchen had been put on a plate and there was a dressing on it, I did eat the salad, taking a chance on the dressing and the chicken, the jug contained what tasted like 'BIsto' I did not eat. The food I did eat was nice and the chicken cooked beautifully.

I was not charged for my starter and was charged a resonable price for my main course. The waitress was awful and so I was told by my companions was making faces behind my back, which did not bother me as it added to the comic like event, I can only imagine that they went to the 'Fawlty Towers' school of service.

Although everybody else in the party enjoyed there food, no one liked the atmosphere or the service and nobody wanted to go back again!

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We just found this restaurant on line and thought we would try it. It was a cosy place, nice staff, alway with a smile, the food was lovely, i even had a glass of wine which i don`t have very often.
We had a starter, a main and a dessert each, the dessert for me could have been better, but the rest of the food was lovely.I think we will go back.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We were recommended to eat here by the proprietors of our hotel and we weren't disappointed. We chose the set menu at £13.99 for 3 courses. There was a good choice of starters,main and desserts and we enjoyed it so much on our first night that we booked to return the next night. We can thoroughly recommend The Fountain in Ilsham Road Torquay.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

Was looking forward to a birthday celebration but realised very quickly that The Fountain lacked style.
A shame because the food was good even though they had run out of a few dishes very early on a Saturday night.
The specials board was a mess half was rubbed out the other half you could hardly read.
More attention to detailed needed to live up to expensive menu (£23 for fillet steak)
Will not be recommending to friends and family

1  Thank Buskin123