“good value for money”
Review of Devonshire Hotel

Devonshire Hotel
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Our children enjoyed the WII. entertainment ok. Drinks reasonably priced. Food ok. room ok. staff very good. Other guests very friendly which was good too. Would stay here again. Torquay is hilly so people with difficulty walking would need a car/bus/taxi or could use the excursions which seemed good value

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KingCharlesI
nigelatthedev0nshire, General Manager at Devonshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

thank you for your your lovely review, we would love to see you you again soon.

all the best

There are newer reviews for Devonshire Hotel

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We spent 5 days here recently, the staff were reasonably friendly & helpful and the rooms were very clean and quite big, we found the food poor and it was served very quickly, probably to get on with the evening bingo and entertainment. The sandwiches in the packed lunches were dreadful. However we did have fun as we went with friends.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
nigelatthedev0nshire, General Manager at Devonshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Thank you for your review, we are sorry if the service at the hotel was alittle quick for you, we only take plates away when you have finished. i would not agree the food is poor, the food is always average rated on questionaires at 4.5 out of 5 which is very good, i am sure with the best chef in Torquay you still wouldn't please everyone. We are happy you enjoyed your holiday anyway and thank you for coming.

regards

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights week 12th-16th Feb we had a good time enjoyed the food staff were friendly entertainment was good also had a game of bingo for a laugh. Slept Well must have been the sea air and it was quiet in the hotel as I am a very light sleeper.. okay so its basic but what we paid was a very good price and that included the coach to get there. Also had a laugh on the coach with the other passengers, I don't think you can get a better price then you get from Daish's Half Board and Coach to get to the hotels.. We are looking into taking my mother-in-law next time I'm sure she will like it there just as much as we did. Well Done....

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wellings17

hello again and thank you for taking the time to write your great review. come back again soon.
love from Nigel and the Team at the Devonshire.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We spent 5 days at the Devonshire in May 2012 and really enjoyed our stay. I can't fault anything about the hotel except for the room we had. The food was excellent and plenty of it - my hubby who has an American appetite certainly never complained! The entertainment was good and so was the company. I did have the impression that many guests had been there many times before and knew the ropes so to speak. They all seemed to know the best rooms to book anyway.

As I said only faulted the room. This wasn't because there was anything wrong with it by way of cleanliness, hot water or anything to do with the facilities, no it was simply not big enough for us. I'm disabled and a very poor sleeper so most of the night I'm sitting up reading, watching TV etc. The room was too small to do this without keeping my husband awake too. I've forgotten the number of the room, but it was smaller than the average motel room. The shower wasn't big enough for me to use, never mind for my hubby to help me as my carer.

When I booked this break I'll admit that it was at a reduced cost that I'd picked up from a magazine ad and as the ladies in the booking office discretely didn't say that beggars can't be choosers! Hence we made no fuss about things. Since then we've thought about coming back for another holiday and have almost got as far as booking on a couple of occasions. BUT what I cannot work out is that when I try to book I'm told that things I'm requiring cannot be guaranteed. So if this is the rule...then how do other people manage to book exactly the room they want if things aren't "guaranteed"? We almost booked for last Christmas but again were told that things aren't guaranteed. Well to be honest we don't want to spend the best part of £800 on a 4 day holiday and not be guaranteed that I'm able to get into the shower!

Room Tip: There's no choice of rooms. Officially.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EsmeraIda
nigelatthedev0nshire, General Manager at Devonshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for your review and your comments raised, we are able since the begining of this year to take booking direct at the hotel for any tour , we are also able to book christmas and new year and have your room allocated upon booking, we do have a mix of rooms some big some small this is the way the hotel was designed when converted in the 1930s. As you have been with us before we would welcome you to now book direct with Abbie on our reception, she will be able to to go though all the rooms with you to make sure the room you want is the room you get. just call Abbie on 01803 291123 if she is not here at the time you call she will ring you back.
please book again.

Regards

Reviewed 9 January 2014

A really enjoyable trip spent with a group of friends. The Hotel staff are very helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable the food is plentiful and the entertainment is excellent. The entertainments Manager, Simon, does a really good job every evening running a short bingo game, then introducing the entertainer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tigga93
nigelatthedev0nshire, General Manager at Devonshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

hi, and thank you for you great review, i just had a lady on the phone reading your review, and on the strength of that she booked up. thank you.
hope you will return next year.

regards

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Returned homeThursday another great stay at the Devonshire .Everything was super.Food well cooked and presented good choice and sevice.Rooms spotlessly clean thanks to Rita and team.All staff friendly polite and helpful Simon had every one in fits of laughter as usual and the entertainment was first class.Hoping to visit again soon Derek B

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Dee and Derick,
thank you for your nice review, it was a pleasure having you here again this year, if fact new year isn't the same without you. thank you for your help as well, without Mrs Devonshire being here at new year it just wouldn't be the same.
love to you both forever.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I have just paid my second visit to The Devonshire this year and once again had a fab time. The food and service you cannot knock.....Kelvin our waiter was once again brilliant. Simon is a legend and a comedy genius. Can't understand how anyone could complain about his unique take on calling bingo.....but you can't please all of the people all of the time! Not only can he make bingo entertaining but he can multi task and use a plunger to sort out my flooded bathroom. Looking forward to coming back next year. Many thanks Nigel, Simon and all the staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Liz A

hi and thank you so much for writing your review. we would love to see you again soon.

all the best.