“Not Quite!”

Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Doncaster
“Not Quite!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire, completed by all who visit Daish's Hotels shows our responses as follows: Reservations - Excellent; Reception and welcome talk - none, friendliness of staff and helpfulness during stay - excellent; Housekeeping - excellent; Kitchen/meals - excellent and more than!; Leisure facilities very good; Bar - very good, prices satisfactory; Maintenance - none requested; Restaurant - Excellent in all respects (Irek was outstanding as headwaiter? and Monika as waitress.); Entertainment - satisfactory:

Translates as overall we will come again (perhaps), but our room (No. 54) is very tired and in desperate need of refurbishment - I would be ashamed to offer this one to customers, we discussed this at length with Nigel, the manager who as the hotel was full (an idea of just how popular it is) was unable to offer a change of room, but did show us two MUCH better in the main hotel and explained how we could ask for these if we were to book by telephone in the future.

Apart from the room, other features are outstanding especially the restaurant food and service; a trip however to Exeter and Dawlish was spoiled by a late and lost passenger who delayed our departure from the first by an hour (we were kept waiting on the coach), and by a driver who cut short our visit to Dawlish on the instruction of the manager (he said) to 50 minutes only.

The atmosphere at the Devonshire is very good and lots of people visit over and over again

We were self drive, maybe this was why we were in the lodge at the back?

Room Tip: Avoid the Lodge rooms, too out dated and decrepit, some in the main hotel have been updated but most...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnPlant
nigelatthedev0nshire, Manager at Devonshire Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Guests, thanks for taking the time to review here at the Devonshire, I do remember our chats and I was sorry I was unable to move you at the time of your stay, we are decorating room across in the lodge, you can see what we have done in room 61 (pictured) I have offered these lovely guests another room which would suit their needs better for the next visit and hope they will call me to except this offer.
thank you again.

Nigel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lovely old building in a pretty location close to the Daddyhole plains. Quite high up from the town centre - a challenging walk for the unfit, especially back up from the town. Spacious rooms and generous sized bathroom (albeit with the usual Daish's problem of insufficient shelf space for all ones washing and showering paraphanalia, neither in the bath/shower nor over the basin). TV far too small for the size of the room and the picture settings control had been disabled, both on the remote and the TV. So, we had to suffer a picture with excessive contrast, too dark and people with orange faces. There's no accounting for taste.

A small swimming pool in a sheltered location was ideal for the kids but too small for any serious swimming.

Smokers tended to congregate immediately outside the front door, causing an inconvenience to guests wishing to enter or leave, from having to negotiate both the congestion and the smoke cloud. Daish's should consider providing a smoking shelter well away from the main stream. This applies to all their hotels.

Staff attentive and friendly. Food of a reasonable standard for the prices paid. Nothing remotely gourmet about it but acceptable for all that. Only stayed for entertainment one evening, and walked out from that after 20 minutes. Apparently, many guests upped and walked out the following evening too as the comedian was very patronising to elderly people.

Bar prices were reasonable and they offered some good house wines for less that £10.00 per bottle.

Room Tip: Ground floor if possible. Lift very slow, as with all Daish's hotels. Seagull noise early morni...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

nigelatthedev0nshire, General Manager at Devonshire Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
thank you for taking the time the review, all the things you have mentioned have been noted, hope you will return soon, if you could let me know which room you stayed in I would like to check out the lack of shelving in the bathroom.
thanks for coming

St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my family just got back from a 5 night stay at the Devonshire Hotel. The food was ok but the kids meals are awful. There is some stuff to do for the kids but not very interesting for myself. There is a outdoor swimming pool which is very nice but I would like it a bit deeper. The rooms were awful, our bathroom stunk of pee which was disgusting and we complained and they put a toilet block in it but didn't do anything. The beds were uncomfortable and the hotel is in a very old building and is old and dated inside. I wouldn't recommend this place for any people under the age of 60. Also to note do not watch the entertainment it is awful.

• Stayed July 2014
nigelatthedev0nshire, General Manager at Devonshire Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
I would like to add to your comments as I feel you are very unfair when mentioning the bathroom smell, I personally went to this room following a conversation with this guest at reception, as I recall the guest mentioned the smell but said it didn't worry them but it was for the next guest coming in, I found this rather odd as it was their first night and why would they want to put up with a smell anyway, so I headed to the room armed with a bottle of spray bleach and a long life blue toilet block, when I got to the room the toilet had been used but I couldn’t detect the smell the guest had mentioned, anyway I gave the toilet, bowl, pipes and floor around the toilet a good bleaching even though I could not smell any Urine, then to finish I left the block in the toilet and left the fan on to remove the bleach smell. The next morning I went in with the head housekeeper and the housekeeper who cleaned the room, we all agreed there was not a smell in the bathroom, so if there was a smell I am sorry for that but it had certainly gone by the morning.
I would also like to mention that this family marked the food as 4 and 5 (good to excellent), and the entertainment as 3 (satisfactory) on their departure day questionnaire, I had saved their questionnaire in anticipation of this review, so why did they changed their minds on these issues when it comes to reviewing on trip advisor.

Sorry you were not completely happy but I did check and deep clean the toilet as soon as it was mentioned even though it was not a concern to this guest at the time.
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I have recently returned from my fifth stay at The Devonshire and am counting down the days until I return in December. Tina and Rita were my waitresses and both were very hard working and friendly.......especially Rita who remembered me from my previous visits. I really didn't like my room (room 39) but as the hotel was full I had to grin and bear it. Many thanks to Nigel for the complimentary bottle of wine and offering me a solution to the room situation for my future stays. Simon was as ever hugely entertaining......and even though I had heard some of his jokes a few times before they still put a smile on my face. No offence to Abbie.....but bingo really isn't the same without Simon. I love staying at The Devonshire and every one goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and enjoy your stay. Can't wait until I am back there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
nigelatthedev0nshire, General Manager at Devonshire Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
hi Liz and thank you for taking the time to review your last holiday, I was happy to chat with you with regards to your last room, this is where good communication between guest and Manager works, I showed this lovely lady another room, a room more fitting to her needs and she fell in love with it, therefore next time Liz comes she with have her dream room. she is happy I am happy, we all are happy. see you in December x
#
regards

sheffield
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Had a lovley few days in this hotel, staff are brilliant and really friendly especially simon hes great with the kids and was always making people laugh with his good humour, I found takin my 20 month old and 3 year old wasnt a problem for people in this hotel and everyone who was there at the same time as me was friendly with the children and spoke to them even though my baby could be hard work screamin crying etc, the majority were the older genaration but doesn't make a difference to the holiday,it had a swimming pool outside which was brilliant for the kids its all one depth not too deep and not too shallow so brilliant to sit and relax by the pool not having to worry as much,it also has a game room for the kids with a wii in it and has free Internet access aswell, not much entetainment for kids at night more for the older generation although there was a magician one night for the kids during our stay, meal times not so great I found it was either too rushed by the waiter or too slow receiving food, waited 40 minutes one day for the kids tea and they was getting fed up i dont mind waiting but too long for kids to wait especially when you was sat down before another table and they got thers first, I think ther needs to be a bit more organisation as you like to eat in a relaxed atmosphere not a chaotic one and also one day two of our adult meals was not available because they had run out which I cant see how when you pre order at breakfast time they did offer another meal but when its not what you wanted its a bit disappointing, food was ok I didnt think was brilliant I preferd the deserts they were lovley rather than the mains they was a bit bland, bedrooms were clean but decor was a bit tired and dated and my room was a long walk up two lots of stairs no good with prams but I was able to leave it downstairs, ther is a lift but only gos to certain floors,id just recommend asking for a nearer room if got small children,also the hotel is at the top of a massive hill but there is a bus what comes right into the hotel grounds and takes u down into town and back up or you can get a local taxi its not much, all in all I did enjoy this holiday and would maybe go back one day...

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest, thank you so much for taking time to review the hotel, we are very happy you enjoyed your stay, looking forward to seeing you again soon.

all the team at the Devonshire
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We recently returned to the Devonshire Hotel in Torquay and were delighted to find it as friendly and efficient as ever!

The room was clean, the beds comfortable and the staff as helpful as they have always been.
Special thanks must go to Simon, the assistant manager, who's consistent good humour and love of magic tricks helped to keep my daughter entertained

All the staff were excellent, and could not do enough to help us enjoy our stay. I think the Devonshire is a wonderful hotel, really good value and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a relaxing holiday in Torquay

We can hardly wait until next years holiday, and are already counting the days!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank gillian l
Hi Gill, thank you again for coming we love having you here at the Devonshire, the door is always open, the kettle is always on and you are more than welcome to return. thank you again.

regards

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Been here quite a lot with daishs.
Couldn't fault the hotel, big clean rooms, lovley set out dining room, nice pool and also brilliant food! Staff are always so friendly and happy to help you. Entertainments always been good too, would recommend this to anyone.

Stayed August 2013
4 Thank bethanyxo
nigelatthedev0nshire, General Manager at Devonshire Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear former Guest, thank you for taking the time to write your review, i see you came last summer, you are more than welcome to come again, give us a ring at the hotel if you book again and we will do our best to look after you during your stay.

thanks again