“Brilliant value for the money”
Review of Devonshire Hotel

Devonshire Hotel
Ranked #14 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Driver was excellent and had us in stitches with his silly jokes. On arrival everything was perfect and the staff so quick to get our luggage in and to our room.

The food was really fresh and like home cooked. The room was so clean and the bed linen smelt like they use lenor, lol. All the staff were so friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The Entertainment was really good too. A different act every night. all in the basic price. I do not know how Daish's do all this for the money.
this was the first time we have been with Daish's holidays (it was recommended by a friend) IT WILL NOT BE OUR LAST !

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alfaromeo168

Reviewed 10 March 2010

just return from the devonshire what a letdown I informed the hotel when I booked that I was a wheelchair user and they assured me they had downstairs rooms with walk in showers every thing was on the level I arrived to find my room was up five steps I asked the manager if we could change rooms he refused saying wheelchair users could always leave there wheelchairs in reception when I said this was not possible I needed to use the wheelchair he suggested that I should have booked earl if I wanted a downstairs room not very customer friendly to continue to stay I had to exit the hotel by a fire door behind the stage go round to the rear of the hotel up hastily placed timbers and re enter the hotel by another fire door every time I wanted to go to my room when I returned home I phoned the hotels head office to complain I am still waiting for there reply

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johndee34
nigelattheDevonshire, Manager at Devonshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2010

We remember this Gentleman well. He was on the West Yorkshire coach and was the last in on that arrival day so all the spare rooms had gone, he used the access ramp in and out of the hotel, but was able to get out of his wheelchair to board or disembark the coach without any mayor problems. Upon booking the guest stated he was a wheelchair user but not wheelchair bound therefore as there was other wheelchair immobile users staying at the same time the rooms were allocated to the neediest nearest. Room 4 is very close to the dining room and reception which is all on one level, but does have 2 steps up to the room or access via the ramps around the side of the hotel, he had also asked for a walk in shower and a double room which the guests received.
From the Dining room there are 2 steps up not 5 as lied by the Gentleman, from there it was all level. In review of this case it seemed that the gentleman was wheelchair bound when it suited, the ramp via the fire exit and the ramp to the rear patio was used by a disabled lady on the tour before and she was very happy with this as it meant she could have more room options.
As witnessed on cctv the gentleman was able to walk, get on and off a coach, offer his wheelchair to his table companion when he was taken ill but was unable to do the two steps up were hand rail were provided, from there his wife could have moved the chair onto the level, instead he used the ramps provided which 99.9% of guest were happy to use. If you are a wheelchair user, please request whether you are a wheelchair user, (meaning you are able to get out and use steps) or wheelchair immobile (meaning unable to get out of chair) please don’t be put of by this man comments, he just wanted to proof a point for whatever reason.

Reviewed 27 February 2010

I visited with Daish's 6 day package which included bus travel, bed, breakfast and evening meal. I travelled with friends and their kids and my three chiildren. The hotel was clean and the food was good. Children could have alternative 'kids menu' and the staff were accommodating regarding the children's food fads. The hotel was spacious. There seemed to be some oddity about room allocation. Three people were allocated a room for five, and another group in our party had a smaller room. We were able to swop rooms and that solved our problems. The decoration seemed rather tired, however the rooms seemed fairly spacious and the stafft seemed friendly and helpful. A hit for the children was the outdoor swimming pool. I could not get the children out of it! There was entertainment every evening to suit all ages.There were a couple of trips available. The first being after a day of travelling. I did not fancy another day cooped in a coach. The location was at the top of a hill but convenient to walk to beaches and into Torquay. The children were well entertained by the facilities in Torquay, including a fair, and local parks with facilities including pitch and putt etc. Plenty of shops in the centre.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank sunrise99
Reviewed 11 February 2010

We had a winter break with Daish's, being picked up at Eastbourne. After the expected long coach journey, we were pleasantly suprised by the hotel. Checking in was very quick, and our romm (69) was a family room. It was large and we had a nice big LCD television. The meals are fine, but if you are a big eater, you will go hungry. (breakfast: 1 egg, 1 sausage, 1 piece of bacon, 1/2 slice fried bread) but all the food is well cooked, and as we were both watching our weight, the portions were ideal. The evenings entertainment was very good, the service above average and cleanliness fine. Our only gripe was that the double bed (2 singles pushed together) wasn't very comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank bondiz
Reviewed 30 August 2009

We stayed at the Devonshire during a busy August month, Checking in time only took 2 minutes. The staff were always helpful and friendly. There was plenty of options for breakfast, and 3 different options for evening meals, with another vegetarian option for our teenage Daughter. The waiter service was excellent. We never had to wait for no more than a minute at the bar for a drink, and their prices were really reasonsable. The Hotel is ideally situated, just a 5/10 minute walk from town centre, and a little longer to sandy beach. The only problem was the Hotel is situated on top of a steep hill, which was no problem for my young family, but did cause some problems for the older member of guests. That said, there is a regular bus service that runs directly outside the Hotel. The Hotel was clean and our rooms was quite adequate. There were daily coach excursions ran from the hotel. The Hoel had nightly entainment til 11.00pm, from singers to comedians. Only down side, was the outside swimming pool which was very shallow, about 3 foot deep. This was ok for the little tots but no good for teenagers and adults. I would have no problems in using this Hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family