“It didn't get any better than first impressions”

The Imperial Torquay
Ranked #23 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Hong Kong, China
“It didn't get any better than first impressions”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Well we did last 2 nights but more for the amusement factor than anything else. After our initial poor impressions, we finally made it to dinner. I thought it couldn't get any worse, but I was clearly wrong. All started well, we were shown to our table. It went downhill after this. No less than 3 staff asked if if we wanted any water, which took an age to come and the wine list was returned to me with a scrap piece of paper of what wines they had run out of. We them ordered our food and waited with anticipation. 10 minutes later another waitress came back to ask us how we wanted the food cooked and what side dishes. Surely this should have been it but no, anther waitress then came back to say they had run out of one of the dishes and what else would we like. By this time it had become farcical. The finale was a rather menacing member of staff from the kitchen arrived with another waiter, presented me a blank order form and pen saying could he take our order again as the kitchen printer had broken. When I refused and suggested he speak to one of the 3 staff that had taken our order, he got aggressive scaring my wife and walked off with a rather dark stare. I was waiting for a camera crew to jump out by now and tell us it was all a joke!
Breakfast was no better as we watched the couple next to us get up from their table with freshly poured coffee, get up to go to the buffet whereupon 3 members of staff cleared their table! The excuse from the head waiter was "well some people leave things on the table, madam..." I could go on. When I read some of the other reviews, I have to wonder; are there two Imperial Hotels in Torquay...?

7 Thank tim m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (970)
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hotel is what everyone imagines from days gone by, as English folk flocked to the seaside, and that as depicted in movies.
Indeed the hotel was clearly once very grand, although in relatively good condition it is somewhat quirky at the seams. It is very large inside, particularly the day rooms and probably even a ballroom.
My single bed room (32) was somewhat compact, but it overlooked the sea and had floor to ceiling sliding doors to a balcony. I suspect there would be few occasions when the weather might suit to enjoy the outdoors there, although the hotel could not be faulted on this. There was no aircon but I guess an open balcony door would be adequate for any unusual summer day. The bathrooom was clean and well fitted out. There was no iron/board but a request very promptly brought one to the room. A large modern LCD tv dominated the corner of the room on a shiny black stand.
I was however concerned that my generally creaky floor boards might disturb occupants of any room that was below me, so I moved around as quietly as possible.
I was told that there were long queues for the main dining room, so I found one could order a light meal from the bar. Even this took a long time to be prepared, but it was a satisfactory repast when it eventually arrived.
The breakfast room was quite busy also, but once seated the buffet was generally satisfying with orders taken for beverages that were brought to the table.
It should be noted that the hotel is situated up a hill so expect a comfortable walk down to the waterfront, but a probable "puff" to get back up - unless one arrives with a car.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank tastony2
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I booked two deluxe double rooms for last Saturday 6th July. Our friends checked in 15 mins before us and were assured we would be given an equally sized room on the 3rd floor. However, when we arrived shortly after, the room was not yet ready and as we had an appointment with an estate agent, the receptionist said we could return later to check in. She repeated the assurance it would be an equally good room 'to avoid any arguments'. Unfortunately she was not there on our return and the man on reception duty, first of all assigned us a room on the 1st floor, which was changed to the 3rd floor when I told him what the previous receptionist had said and he included breakfast for both rooms, which we thought was very kind. Off we went to discover a room which was half the size of our friends' room.

The male receptionist said the hotel was full and he could nothing, denying there had been a room available on the 1st floor. He brought the floor manager out who said initially, she could not move us until that evening (there was a wedding party at the hotel), then said it would not be possible to move us at all and that no one would have promised us any other room because they had been assigned the night before and furthermore, no one would have offered us a room on the 1st floor. At this point I realised I was in some sort of parallel universe and gave up. She did offer us breakfast to compensate and said I should have put the words 'large room required' in the comments section of the online booking. I paid 199 GBP for a small room in Torquay. Unbelievable. Room number was 322 and my friends' was 327.

Later that evening we joined the queue at the bar and eventually managed to order a vodka & tonic and a glass of Pinot Grigio. We were offered a gin & tonic and a red wine by a bewildered waiter! Other people were complaining about the delay and lack of attention, which continued at breakfast the next morning. After queuing with others to be shown to a table everyone just seated themselves and when my husband asked a waitress for a plate as there were none anywhere, he was told he could use a bowl and it was not her job to get the plates for that part of the buffet!

Whoever is responsible for staff training should be fired. It would not be difficult to make this a very good hotel, the position and views are incredible, but having to deal with incompetence and dishonestly is quite frankly appalling.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 322 if you have reserved a deluxe double room, it is half the size of room 327 al...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank 322Teresa53
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Hotel dated. Staff not helpful when arrive no information where things were.had treatments spa day book staff not a clue we booked?dinner was a long wait no clue with service people complained,bar staff confused with service working till ,long time to wait.staff very young no clue generally poor.would not staff again.

2 Thank Sandra P
Bromborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for three nights and had a great time. The superior room had sea view, bath robe and slippers. We ate breakfast and an evening meal and the food was good.
We used the outdoor simming pool was heated and really enjoyed relaxing by the pool. Just ashame we did not a drink service when relaxing! We have been there three times and will return again.

• Stayed June 2013
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed at the Imperial for the weekend of 29th June. We had a huge room with a beautiful sea view. The balcony had sun loungers, which we made great use of. Admittedly the hotel does have an air of faded grandeur and could do with a lick of paint, but this was not a big issue for us and the facilities provided were very good. We had a half board deal and enjoyed eating in the restaurant, although I am not sure I would have paid the going rate for the meal had it not been included. It was our wedding anniversary and when we asked for a window table the young man in charge, Mark, was very helpful. He arranged for a table to be made ready while we had a drink in the bar and came to fetch us himself.
I agree with the last reviewer, the trip on the Brixham ferry is very good value.
We visited Agatha Christie's home, Greenway, on the Sunday and found that very interesting.
Finally when we arrived back home we discovered that my husband had left his I-phone charger plugged in the socket in the hotel room. The staff efficiently posted it back to us immediately.
I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to a sea view room with balcony. It really makes the holiday.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Found a good rate online and booked a 3 night stay. Great value for money and the staff were superb, friendly, welcoming and nothing too much trouble.
Good amenities, terrific location and stunning views across Torbay.
Yes, perhaps a little dated, but for us, part of the charm. Do use the gardens, quiet & peaceful
Definitely would use next time in Torquay.
Also, don`t miss the ferry across to Brixham, £2 return for adults, £1 for children, just 5 minute stroll from the hotel.