“Out of date”

The Imperial Torquay
Ranked #22 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel this weekend. Having booked three rooms for one night, upon arrival we found that two rooms were together and the other on a totally separate floor which was not ideal. The separate room was very small and outdated to the point our party refused to stay there. Thankfully our room had two spare single beds in addition to our double so we ended up sharing one room. To top this off, one of the beds were found to have a greasy / suspicious stain on the inside sheets so we had to call the night staff at 1.40am to change them after arriving back from a function downstairs. Breakfast was pleasant enough with the exception of dirty crockery on our table. Overall the reception and event rooms are very nice as well as the views from the garden rooms and restaurant area but we find it very hard to believe that this hotel is 4* rated! The rooms desperately need updating and staff require more training in cleaning and general customer service

Room Tip: Request a garden room for good views and space
2  Thank Plym7880
Write a ReviewReviews (3,113)

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We have stayed here seven times this year we love the location right by the sea and Torquay centre.
The hotel it self is a little dated and some of the rooms could do with an up lift but the views are brilliant and the overall stay is generally good. We have only ever had breakfast which has always been ok and value for money. The staff are all nice and friendly and I would recommend to anyone who is looking to stay in Torquay for a break / holiday.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We have been going to this hotel for years and years and i would have to say that it gets better year after year. We go here at least once a month. And being in Torquay it's in a nice location. Easy access to the town and there is lots to do in the hotel and lots to do in Torquay :) we will be returning

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 11 November 2013

On arrival the receptionist lacked warmth in her greeting - we asked for an ice bucket and wondered if they went to the North pole to locate the ice; there was no apology for the lateness. Also The view from the room was very poor it was the roof from the next building. The only decent customer service we recieved was from Travis a night time receptionist who was only too accommodating when we requested cutlery.
There was a function that weekend and the carpark was ridiculously full!
It appears that the breakfast staff were not very friendly when I asked for an omlette day one it was met with a tut like I was putting her out; isnt it her job to serve the customers?? They clearly cannot cope when the hotel is at its full capacity I asked for an Omlette day two and after 30 minutes of waiting it was only on the second request that it was hastily made and also the food was in short supply at the buffet as we were left waiting for refills.
Overall staff where generally rude and if I am going to pay that sort of money for a few nights stay I expect the service to come with it. It maybe a 4 star hotel but that was probably from the furnishings and the cleanliness of the place NOT for the service, I have had better at a hoilday inn and premier inn for less than half the price. I will not be staying there again the next time I visit Torquay, I will book into a much cheaper place with staff who are a lot more friendly. This place would be perfect and would have 5 star rating if it wasnt for the attitude of the staff, it ruined my whole stay there as I feel ripped off for the money paid to stay in so called luxury.

Room Tip: Please opt for a room on the first floor - yes there are lifts but for those who do not use lifts th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I am always wary of British 'seaside' hotels. They are almost all tired, requiring redecoration and generally represent poor value. This is certainly true of Torquay. Indeed, when reviewing the Imperial last year, the badly needed investment required to restore the 'old lady' to former glory was obvious for all to see.
A year later - what a difference!!
The hotel is still a big ugly slab in a great location within easy walking distance of Torquay marina and town centre with stunning views over Torbay, but now it has had a makeover.
New paint, carpets and furniture have transformed the ground floor of the Imperial to a glimpse of its former grandeur. The restaurant with wonderful views has been freshened up although a little sterile (could do with some big plants to soften it up and absorb noise) and the ballroom is now quite magnificent. Our refurbished seaview room on the third floor was excellent with comfy beds and duvets, balcony with stunning views, good bathroom and all spotlessly clean. Dining in the evening and breakfast in the morning was all good.
Best of all - the value.
I know its off season, but as a couple, we obtained an internet packaged offer (£87) to include an a la carte three course dinner, bottle of good french wine and breakfast at a price which meant the room was basically charged at zero.
Going to Torquay? Get a similar deal and dont stay anywhere else. Very good!!

Room Tip: Seaview on a high floor is a must. Ask for a refurbished room (dont think they all are yet). Get a...
2  Thank pastyfaceCornwall
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The Imperial Hotel in Torquay provided 3 days of comfort, good food, great views and pleasant Leisure facilities. The weather outside was typical for November in a UK seaside resort (mostly wet & windy) but the Imperial and staff provided a warm, friendly welcome with a peaceful, relaxed venue for our short trip (mainly business but some time to unwind afterwards). We would recommend the spacious, richly decorated hotel to our friends and certainly hope to return to explore Torquay more fully in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Mixed reviews of this hotel. A football club was staying when we was and it was quite busy. We had room 205 and 232 for the final night.

205 had a weird smell and was quite small, which was a shame. All we could hear all night was some nightclub on the cliff, I looked out the window as I had trouble sleeping and it was flashing lights in the bushes, the sound is very annoying. Kept me awake for 2 nights! The bed was very small too, I can't even explain to you how baking hot the room was, I was sweating and felt so ill - wish a fan was available.

On our final night we was in 232 - was a bigger room but a weird bluey colour - not going to lie, i did prefer this room though as it was bigger for a 3 night break, and the bed was nicer. Once again though, shame about the rubbish view of the scummy view. Was even worse as it was the night of the St Jude storm! I was advised we couldn't have a sea view because they wasn't standard rooms (like we had) however, i met a lady in the sauna who had a standard room and she got a sea view and loved it. Was gutted, she was only there for 1 night?! AND she commented others she met had the same type of room. Gutted.

My boyfriend took me here on a break, I just wish that they treated us abit nicer for the total cost of the 3 nights being £350. Just felt we deserved more for what we paid! The car park was rammed too!

As it was the kids half term just beginning they basically terrorised the swimming pool and jacuzzi. Kids whacked me in the face with their feet in the pool and their parents didn't care. Was a let down as the night we turned up it was quiet in there and it was just what I needed from city life. Very strange considering it says not to let kids in the jacuzzi below a certain age on the back of the bedroom door (well of 1 of our rooms !!)

I think as a recommendation would be helpful for hotel information to be available, other than just a welcome letter - such as a telephone list, local attractions etc would be a personal touch.

It is a shame, as due to my job I can recommend hotels for clients regularly, but at the moment I am let down so will not be visiting again. I do love Torquay, but will look into other hotels for our clients instead.

Room Tip: No point, the way they pick rooms seems to be stupid
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple