“Very disappointing”

The Imperial Torquay
Ranked #22 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Long queues at reception, the car park very full - some cars taking two spaces, not good when you are charged £7 per night for parking! The bed was very uncomfortable with springs clearly felt beneath the sheet.The bar and restaurant area was quite cold, in fact there was a little fan heater in the lounge area. The breakfast was self service and good, dinner was mediocre with not much choice and very small portions. Having stayed at the Imperial many years ago when the Hotel was first class in every respect, the return visit is something best forgotten.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Gwyn G, General Manager at The Imperial Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Elizabeth H

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I was very sorry to read that not everything went according to plan. I would like to give you my assurance that this isn’t our usual standard of service or quality. I will pass your comments on to my Housekeeper to investigate and make changes as necessary. Unfortunately our great location means that we are also exposed to the elements and when there is a storm outside it greatly affects the temperature within the public areas of the hotel.

I would very much welcome an opportunity to restore your faith and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Poor service.
I did not feel special or welcome.
Dirty window sill in eating area along with dirty cup and no salt on tables, Tea pot leaking over table cloth (no doily in saucer).
No hair dryer in room.
The whole experience was very cold and unfriendly and did not come up to the expectations for a 4 star hotel.
I will not be returning or recommending this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Richard H

I am so sorry that you had a very disappointing stay with us recently and at this stage can only offer you my sincere apologies and assurances that this is certainly not our usual standard of quality or service. I would like you to contact me personally when next staying in Torquay and I will certainly do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Hubby had booked this as a package of room, dinner and free bottle of sparkling wine. We paid a little extra for a room upgrade as we had previously stayed here in a suite and it is worth the extra for the lovely views over the sea.
The interior never fails to impress, with its beautiful chandeliers. Check In was prompt, friendly and very welcoming.
Our room was of ample size with separate dressing/wardrobe space leading into the bathroom.
Dinner had improved from our last visit with great detail spent on quality of food and presentation. Our only complaint was the cold draught blowing which made the restaurant chilly and did spoil the experience. This may have been because of the storm and strong winds blowing outside.
Breakfast too was an improvement on our previous stay, with plenty of freshly cooked hot food and a good assortment of cereals, pastries, juices etc. a wonderful way to start the day as you take in views over bay.
We don't understand all the negative comments about this hotel as we are local and often come here for coffee, afternoon tea or the odd glass of Prosecco. If you pay a bargain rate for a room you are more than likely to get a standard room, so you shouldn't complain. All in all we have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful and happy to sort any difficulties.

Dear ValSDevon

Thank you for taking the time to review the Imperial we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. The team really appreciate your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here from Friday through to Sunday whilst attending an industry conference and dinner. Check in was smooth and professional, the evening bar staff were polite and efficient. We ate out at No7 fish restaurant which was ideally located near by (see separate review) on the first night. Breakfast was typical buffet breakfast I struggle with this slightly as every thing is cooked to suit the average guest. I personally like my bacon and sausages a little longer cooked and poached eggs. However having said this the selection was extensive and even included smoked salmon! The buffet lunch had a good selection of hot and cold items. The room for the afternoons meeting was well laid out with plenty of natural light and all of the AV equipment worked well. The dinner was alright some small improvements could have been made, the gap between courses was perhaps a bit long, the main course wasn't to my taste - slow cooked beef. The bar stayed open plenty long enough to even satisfying some hardened Ironmongers.
The bedrooms were spacious, well equipped, clean and the sea view was magnificent. All of the staff were polite and attentive.

Room Tip: Most rooms have sea views which is a key benefit
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear julesandfran

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us for a conference. I was pleased to learn that you were made to feel welcome by our team, and that throughout your stay you found all staff to be kind, courteous and helpful. I will ensure that all teams are made aware of your kind words, I am sure they will be as pleased as I am that they were able to make your stay enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Lovely hotel, first class dinning, food was delicious very good wine list All staff friendly, nothing being too much trouble we had a premier room with sea view which was perfect, would love to go again

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear MrKC424

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us especially the food. I will pass your comments to the team and I am sure they will be happy to learn that their efforts have not gone unnoticed.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Don't be fooled by the tired exterior on arrival the interior is lovely and very interesting.Friendly, efficient staff, spotless and amazing value! I dropped an earring and had to search under furniture, not a speck of dust! Spectacular views from room reminded us of the south of France. Beautiful gardens we walked through in the sunshine My husbands middle name is "cooked breakfast" and he loved this one at 08:30!!! There was also fresh fruit,yoghurt,cereal,patisseries and even salamis,cheese,smoked salmon and mackerel. Not sure if previous reviewers were in the same hotel and what people expect for their money. If you don't want buffet breakfast sitting looking out across the bay then go somewhere that cooks it to order. We booked A deluxe room through Puma hotels,their November offer and we're further upgraded to an amazing suite. We appreciate that Puma is starting to restore past glories and we wish them luck. We will return. Also Looked great for families wish we had taken our kids there when younger.

Room Tip: Book sea view as a minimum

Dear Jen2013717

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us. It's great to hear that you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed the food, and that you plan to return.

Hopefully it won't be too long before we're welcoming you back for your next stay!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I am surprised at the positive views of this hotel as we had a very different experience last night. we only live 30 miles away but had booked an evening meal at the excellent Elephant restaurant and decided to stay the night in Torquay rather than drive home . we purposely booked the imperial because of the health centre . on arrival we were offered an upgrade but at a £30 charge , so I am really surprised at some of the reviews being offered it for free. the hotel did not appear to be that busy. our room was ok, it was clean , quite small and overlooked the car park. we had booked through late rooms and paid £71. we had coffee in the conservatory which was overpriced and very sparsely decorated but had lovely views across the bay. we decided to use the health club. Walking into the ladies changing room the smell of 'urine' hit you immediately. there was toilet paper over the floor of the toilets which were stinking. there were dirty towels on the floor and clumps of hair. against my better judgement I undressed and decided to just use the jacuzzi. by the side of the jacuzzi there was a pile of dirt. I immediately got out and reported the lack of cleanliness to the staff who just said they were sorry. on reporting it to reception they said it was because it was busy and they would ensure it was cleaned - all a bit too late. this morning on arrival at breakfast our cups were dirty, not a good start. I have to say the range of food on offer was excellent until you got to the cooked breakfast. breakfast starts at 7 , we got there at 8.20 . I think the cooked breakfast had been there since 7 . the scrambled egg had gone orange on top and had a crust, the fried eggs were hard boiled and the bacon had turned grey in the sea of grease, totally inedible and disgusting to look at. again reported to the staff and the response was ' nobody else has complained ' . I have written many reviews of hotels across the world but was very disappointed with this hotel and Torquay in General

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear oatesfamily

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us here at The Imperial. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your stay and would like to apologise for the issues you faced during your stay. Your comments have been shared with the relevant teams who will be looking at ways in which such instances can be avoided and standards improved in the future.

We do hope that you will not be deterred from staying with us again, and would look forward to welcoming you back.