“Lovely short break.”

The Imperial Torquay
Ranked #22 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Our second visit to the imperial and again not disappointed. Room very spacious and clean.
Had breakfast ,dinner and afternoon tea in the hotel and all were excellent, with beautiful views from the restaurant overlooking the bay.
Staff very efficient and friendly. We will be back! .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Gwyn G, General Manager at The Imperial Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear 145suze

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our team very helpful.

KInd regards

Gwyn

Write a ReviewReviews (3,113)

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Booked this hotel for a long week-end break. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a suite with a fabulous sea view.
The hotel was clean and well run by friendly staff.
A little hiccup in the restaurant on our first evening which was handled correctly did not take the gloss of a lovely stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Rodders95

Dear Rodders95

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was a lovely weekend break in a hotel near the coast. The hotel was lovely and welcoming and the staff were great. Nice facilities and happy to have our little one, 2 years old, running around.

Well recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014
Gwyn G, General Manager at The Imperial Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Matt_and_Emma_Bell

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am please to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and would look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed on Valentine's night on a package for Dinner Bed & Breakfast. The price was good but you still have some expectations . The room (333) was a good size with a reasonable bathroom & dressing room but everything was very tired and a little grubby. The net curtains had holes, there was lipstick on the dressing table mirror, very dusty window surround and a thin layer of body fat on all of the bathroom ceramic fittings . all of which I would not have mentioned had the rest of our stay been good !
We went down for a pre dinner drink and after finding some seats in the Bar were politely told that the table we had sat at was reserved for a regular customer but as they didn't have a reserved sign it was probably OK for us to remain.
We went on to dinner with our friends in the restaurant, we were seated at our table and given an a la carte menu. When I pointed out that we were on the DBB offer which was "a Table d'hôtel Menu" I was told it was the same menu just if you wanted certain dishes there would be a surcharge we were then left to choose , no explanation of any of the daily specials as detailed on the menu. When our waitress came to take the order she was unsure of the specials but did her best taking the order including our choice of wine.
Our starters arrived I was a little surprised to get capers as opposed caper berries as described on the menu but I let it pass. "0 minutes after our starters arrived I had to ask for our wine . Not good.
The main courses arrived and they all looked very nice and smelt the same I had chosen the chicken which was nice but when I tried my vegetables they were stone cold. I waited a couple of minutes as I expected someone to check if the meal was OK but no one arrived so I had to call a waiter serving another table who found another waiter to come and see me who took the meal away. The rest of the table continued their meal and were almost finished by the return of a fresh meal. I was approached by a supervisor I believe ( he did not introduce himself) who made the right noises but really did not seem more than a going through the motions. So I ate my main course on my own while the rest of the Table waited and watched ( not the most pleasurable experience for any of us)
Desserts (Deserts on the Menu) quite a reasonable offering but when asked what the West Country Cheese board consisted of the waiter was unsure but adamant Stilton was included ( a new addition to the West Country) we ordered our desserts & coffee all of which arrived at the same time !
Well enough was enough we finished our meal and left I approached a gentleman called Kris who I believe was the duty Restaurant manager , I explained what had happened b he made all the placating noises but added that there had been a large function on as well . NOT MY PROBLEM. I had paid for the same service as all restaurant guests and it should not be effected by functions .
Next morning we went to breakfast and seated by the window very nice we thought. But how does did work where is the buffet etc Oh well lets have a look around and find it ourselves. I went to find the buffet while my wife waited to ordure some decaffeinated coffee but oh dear No decaffeinated coffee in the Dining Room no offer to see if there was any available from room service or reception No apology. Fruit Tea, tea that was the choice. The standard of the selection breads , bacon & sausages was rather lack lustre no local produce seemed to be available ( Surely a must these days). When It came to having toast we had to go to the waiters stations to get fresh knives.
I did see that the gentleman Kris appeared to be on duty and he clearly saw me but make no effort to see if we or any of the other guests were enjoying their breakfast, mind you no one seemed to be checking on the guests.

We checked out and when asked if we enjoyed our stay we said that it had been Ok but had been disappointed by the Restaurant. There was no questions as to why ?
I feel that most of the problems that occurred during our stay could have been avoided if the following had taken place:
Quality checks in all of the rooms ( physical checks and a good bathroom commercial bathroom cleaner)
Customer Service Training in the Restaurant as in :
Explaining menu & choices
explaining how the Breakfast buffet works to all customers ( Even regulars)
Checking spelling on Menu
Checking dish composition is actually what is served
Checking back with Customers shortly after each course has been served will avoid mix ups and ensure that your customers feel valued. not just the individual waiters but the supervisors/managers on shift.
Not blaming poor service on other activities within the hotel.

The reason it has taken me this long to post this on TripAdvisor is that I completed the Hotel's own customer survey which asked did I want a response to which I replied Yes and did I want to share my response with Tripadvisor to which I replied No as I wanted them to have the opportunity to respond to my comments.
Well here we are 3 weeks on and no reply so I am posting on Trip advisor.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Wivelrod

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review. I was very sorry to learn that you did not fully enjoy your stay. I was more than a little surprised by your comments about food and service and we take great pride in service and quality as you can see from our recent reviews. However I will obviously discuss the comments made with my team and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I am sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us as much as you could have , I would like to assure you that this is certainly not our usual standard and would very much welcome the opportunity of restoring your faith.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We went to Torquay in the bad weather without a hotel booking, we drove passed this place and popped in for a look. The staff were extremely helpful, the room was nice and big and the bed was very comfortable.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear moomin2523

Thank you for posting the review about your stay. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the team very helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed this week. Reception staff welcoming and extremely helpful.

I had a Double Room which was very clean, beds very comfy Bathroom a little small but very clean. Ou room overlooked the front of the hotel/ car park. Was quite noisy when staff emptied empty bottles or wheeled trollies across Tarmac.
Breakfast. Very small selection of cereals and fresh fruit. if you arrive later than 9.30 be prepared for very little to choose from. hard fried eggs ( if there are any left), shrivelled mushrooms, rock hard scrambled eggs. Good sausages and bacon though. By the end of the week this was replenished when I asked a waiter.

Dinner. The choice was excellent, and very well presented. The chef must be applauded. But, when I ordered baked cod, sea bream appeared with no explanation as to why the change. We had to ask for the wine waiter, ordered Chilean Merlot and was told it had all gone! Then asked for house red and lo and behold Chilean Merlot arrived! Very strange. We had to pour it ourselves and was not offered a taste first. We sat near the window overlooking the sea and guests before us had placed a bottle on the window ledge leaving a red ring. That ring was there all week. So poor housekeeping. The waitress we had was called Marina and she worked so hard. She was pleasant, extremely cheerful and very friendly even when she seemed to be serving all 30 + tables on her own. The restaurant was very short staffed which was evident at breakfast when they were unable to collect dirty dishes or re lay tables they were so busy looking after guests.

We had to take our wine back to our room as no one came back to collect our wine from us at the end of the evening. Things definitely need improving in this area.

All in all a very pleasant stay but needs a little talc.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room if you want quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Arborvalli2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I will certainly take your comments on board. I am sure Marina will be delighted to see your comments.

I do hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again soon and look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding at The Imperial on 28th February. We could not have had a more fantastic day. The staff made our day one of best days of our lives. Everything went to plan and ran very smoothly. We were kept informed from the moment we booked our wedding to the minute the day finished. We would recommend this hotel with it's fantastic views, friendly helpful staff and fantastic food to anyone who wants a wedding day to remember.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nikki B
Gwyn G, General Manager at The Imperial Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear tegsj

Thank you for sharing your fantastic experience with the wider community, I was thrilled to learn that that my team were part of your big day. I am proud of my team and your comments will certainely make them feel delighted about the service they provide to every guest they look after.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards