“Ideal business hotel.”

Ranked #24 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Ideal business hotel.”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I recently attended a conference here, staying for 1 night. The traveller photo's on here are pretty consistent with my own experience. I found the conference, reception and dining rooms pleasant and comfortable. The hotel has a grand old fashioned style, in keeping with it's name, but I have to disagree with another reviewer who called it dated. Dated implies to me faded, or out of style and I felt that the style was clear and the presentation was good. If I could give the review 4.5 stars I would, because having the first evening's presentation in a room which had been set with cutlery for dinner already was a bit irritating and not entirely professional, but I'll accept this as an oversight on this occasion. My room was on the first floor, with an en-suite and a balcony with loungers. The view was lovely. The bed was large and comfortable. The staff, from the manager to the waiters, were professional/ efficient but also friendly/ cheerful- which is a hard combination to achieve. The Imperial isn't perfect, I pitied my friend with a view onto the car park, but I have to report as I find, and I found almost nothing to fault it on.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, some of the other views are less inspiring.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Gwyn G, General Manager at The Imperial Torquay, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear SecondClassCitizen

Firstly, thank you for choosing to stay at The Imperial for your meeting, very pleased to read that you had a lovley stay with us. I do hope that you have the opportunity to stay with us again.

Warmest regards

Gwyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
Lostwithiel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Just got home from a wonderful stay here,I stayed in room 220 and the sea views were incredible ,hotel and room were lovely,very friendly staff ,evening 3 corse meal was lovely and very reasonably priced ,pamper session was just what the doctor ordered,very relaxing will be coming back very soon ! 10/10 the imperial hotel

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Emma S

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us here at The Imperial. We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit.

West Midlands
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This was a two night break with my Husband, we saw it advertised on Martin's Money website with 40 per cent discount. We were in room 325 on the third floor with fantastic sea view and balcony. The room was huge, very clean with a massive comfortable bed. There were plenty of toiletries in the bathroom along with a hairdryer in the drawer and a trouser press and safe in the wardrobe. There should have been bath robes and slippers in the room, when I queried this at reception on our way out, I was told some would be taken up, when we returned an hour later, they were in our room. The restaurant along with it's sea view was kept pristine and the food we ate included breakfast and a three course meal in the evening was all superb, along with the Staff who were serving us, everybody was polite and helpful. We watched Staff assist a lady down some steps using a mobile ramp, nothing was too much trouble. Andy who was manning reception was efficient, polite and helpful whilst training a new member of Staff named Ruth who although was shy was just as polite and helpful. Our departure from the Imperial was just as efficient with Russell also very friendly. I had read recent reviews about this hotel and could not believe what some guests were saying about the hotel being tired in places. It is an impressive building and in my mind it is kept up to a good standard.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Lilo_Chris

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us here at The Imperial. I was pleased to read that you were well looked after by our team and that you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your comments to Ruth and Russell who will be pleased to know that their hard work has not gone un noticed. We look forward to welcoming you back should you decide to pay us a return visit.

Fife
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My wife and I are just back from a week at the hotel. We had a very good sea view room with balcony and comfortable loungers, for this we paid an extra £280 and think it was worth it for the view over the sea and the chance to lie out in the sun.
First impression of the hotel was that it was quite dated and this was made worse by the struggle we had to climb up stairs with our suitcases; it is a rabbit warren of a place.
The service was excellent and the presentation of the food at dinner top class but sadly we cannot say the same about the quality of the food; we could even go to say that it was the poorest we have ever had in any hotel. We had only one good meal out of the seven dinners we ate (or tried to - left a lot on our plates). We would return but only on a B and B basis, just could not face dining there again.
tempted to give the hotel a poor rating but all in all it was just the dinners that let it down.

Room Tip: Choose sea view room with ready access from lifts.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear StewartFife

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay. I was pleased to read that you found our excellent location suitable for your needs. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the dinner experience and will certainly take your comments on board and discuss the same with my Head Chef.

I do hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again soon and look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.

Kind regards

Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed last night at the Imperial with husband as a birthday treat. Went to the bar for a drink & asked the barman for some nibbles with our wine & was informed " I wasn't supplied with any nibbles" .went into dinner & ordered the special seafood cocktail at £6.00 supplement.when it came there were no tiger prawns with it when I asked the waitress she informed me that the Chef had run out? If that's the case take it off the menu! Our waitress was over familiar calling my husband FLOWER & just said Hiya instead of formally greeting us. The rest of the meal was delicious though.Our room was nice but there were pubic hair at the back of the toilet & black scum floating around the bath plug hole. The next morning Hiya again no good morning & as on the previous evening reeked of cigarette smoke.the smoked salmon & scrambled eggs were tasty but the sausages & bacon were cold.....dangerous practise as well as off putting.My eldest son worked at the Imperial for a number of years & it was never like that then. In future we will stick to the Grand Hotel. Come on Imperial pull your act together!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mariahowells
Dear mariahowells

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay, I was sorry to read that not everything went according to plan and hope that we are given the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel. I will certainly address your comments with my team.

Hereford
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Superb hotel up on the hill, just a five minute walk from the harbour with fantastic sea views right across Torbay.We had a lovely spacious room with a huge balcony with sunloungers and it was so warm and sheltered there that we were able to enjoy them when we had a mini break at the end of March! We would definately recommend the Imperial Hotel. The staff were very nice and the food was good as were the very relaxed surroundings in the lounges and restaurants which also had amazing sea views.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank SuzieHereford
Gwyn G, General Manager at The Imperial Torquay, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear SuzieHereford

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us here at The Imperial. I was so pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable time, and that you found our staff helpful and facilities to you liking. We look forward to your return visit.

cornwall
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Sadly our latest visit to this hotel will probably be our last. We have stayed for several family celebrations and enjoyed this large hotel in it's lovely location. However this time the room was inferior to the one we had before, the food was not as good and the service was extremely poor. Maybe the change from Barcelo management to Puma has something to do with it?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear CornwallJojo

I am sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay and at this late stage can only apologise for the issues you had during your stay. I can assure you that this is not our usual standards of service and hope that you will give us another oppurtunity in the furture.